GPU OC: Core Offset vs Memory Offset

_Hustler_One_

Hello everyone

I saw most of GPUs or people OCed their GPUs by setting the Core offset lower than the Memory offset, some are like +170 MHz Core and a whooping +1000 MHz Memory and claimed they're stable.

What I experienced with my Evga GTX 1060 6Gb is the opposite with Core offset is higher than Memory offset, +250 MHz Core and only able +575 MHz Memory. This is the highest I can get. I tried +250 MHz Core, +650 MHz Memory, this is stable in some game and crashed in other game, but passed any benchmarks, crashed stress test. Tried +200 MHz Core and +600 MHz Memory just same result in game like +250/+650, but passed both the benchmark and stress test. But strangely it stable with +250/+575, passed both the benchmarks and stress test, no issue in any game I play.

Why I can't get that +1000 MHz Memory offset, instead I can get +250 MHz in Core rather than like the other which lower than 200 MHz on the Core but cannot pass over 575 MHz in Memory?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

You're just interpreting it wrong.

Check GPU-Z, do the math and might just be right.

Also, 575 sounds higher than 250 to me. Stay in school kid.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

oof

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

29 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I mean people can push the memory to +1000 MHz but mine only capable to +575 MHz.

People push the Core not more than +200 MHz while mine can +250 MHz.

I know 575 is higher than 250. Wtf! You didnt get what I said. Maybe because my english is not good.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

12 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I mean people can push the memory to +1000 MHz but mine only capable to +575 MHz.

People push the Core not more than +200 MHz while mine can +250 MHz.

Pushing core as far as you can negatively affects how far memory can go. Generally you make a compromise between either core or memory.

People are scaling back the core and pushing memory because that's what would help the 1060 since Nvidia are hell bent on tiny memory buses.

Show a screenshot where someone shows +1000 memory. Make sure to include GPU-Z and anymore information about their setup.

12 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I know 575 is higher than 250. Wtf! You didnt get what I said. Maybe because my english is not good.

Of course I didn't. Your wording is atrocious. I understand now after a good night's sleep, but at the time it was extremely confusing. Keep the "wtf" out of this.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

People also tend to max out the memory on pascal for no reason at all. 

Inconsitsnt testing to claim 2-3fps improvements.  Not my thing. I do 200 on the memory of I remember to. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Better if you show default clock and maximum clock rather than an ambiguous +this +that. Same when using percentages, my 1080 will do over 200% on the power but as a solitary number it's pretty meaningless without knowing the actual value in Watts. Then again Watt readings can be wrong ? lol

Also should check memory tables to see at what point changes occur or perhaps better still run a bandwidth vs mem clock graph.

Just my 2c

AWOL