Best 2 or 2.1 Desktop sub $250? (+$100 Sound Card?)

Puma911

I've had my eye on the Klipsch pro media 2.1 speaker system for a while as I used to work at Best Buy and stocked them every week.

I went to purchase one at my local Best Buy today to discover that the Pro Media 2.1 has been discontinued?

It's probable that someone here has a better suggestion anyway.

Uses: Music, Gaming. Music quality is important because I use Music Therapy (The music just has to sound beautiful basically). They don't need to be overpowering just sound good.

Music Genres: Mostly EDM, but acoustic, speed metal, classical, house, this and that... you know.

Space to be used in: Not really relevant because I move a lot but right now a dorm. Probably moving to a house soon.

It will be connected to the PC in my signature. I've been noticing some static coming from devices plugged into the 3.5mm jacks though and I may need a sound board upgrade which I'm open to. I need a new rig in general but we are doing sound right now. I need music!

Thank you so much for reading this much and for your suggestions. Have a good day!

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

My personal favorite: Creative A250 2.1

They're ridiculously cheap but sound good "enough" - obviously not studio monitors but they blow all other $30-$50 speaker systems out of the water. They aren't the loudest but are loud enough with good response that can be great with slight software tuning.

Here's PCGamer's list of best speakers: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-computer-speakers/

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

4 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

My personal favorite: Creative A250 2.1

They're "ridiculously cheap"

You weren't kidding lol! Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely keep those in mind. I mean Sound is really subjective and I have been punishing my ears with this old logitech 7.1 of which I have been using 3.1 for a long time. When I hear good speakers though I wanna cry lol It kinda makes me think you get what you pay for.

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

9 minutes ago, Puma911 said:

You weren't kidding lol! Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely keep those in mind. I mean Sound is really subjective and I have been punishing my ears with this old logitech 7.1 of which I have been using 3.1 for a long time. When I hear good speakers though I wanna cry lol It kinda makes me think you get what you pay for.

Oh man, yeah, I had to luck of visiting our local radio station and they let me try on their studio headphones and monitors and they sounded awesome. Still, I love my A250s as I've used them for years and nothing better has come along in this price range. I'm not the kind of person that'll drop $100+ on speakers :P but if you are, these are still great as backups.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:21 PM, Puma911 said:

I've had my eye on the Klipsch pro media 2.1 speaker system for a while as I used to work at Best Buy and stocked them every week.

I went to purchase one at my local Best Buy today to discover that the Pro Media 2.1 has been discontinued?

It's probable that someone here has a better suggestion anyway.

Uses: Music, Gaming. Music quality is important because I use Music Therapy (The music just has to sound beautiful basically). They don't need to be overpowering just sound good.

Music Genres: Mostly EDM, but acoustic, speed metal, classical, house, this and that... you know.

Space to be used in: Not really relevant because I move a lot but right now a dorm. Probably moving to a house soon.

It will be connected to the PC in my signature. I've been noticing some static coming from devices plugged into the 3.5mm jacks though and I may need a sound board upgrade which I'm open to. I need a new rig in general but we are doing sound right now. I need music!

Thank you so much for reading this much and for your suggestions. Have a good day!

I assume your budget is around 150 USD due to you mentioning the klipsch pro media, so i would take a look at these, they are powered so just run dual RCA's to them - https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PATXSI/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_crs_dp_rhf_k2p_0_3/137-1256805-5751720?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016PATXSI&pd_rd_r=0963c95e-47c3-46ee-aafa-81a62dd244ab&pd_rd_w=XLh7e&pd_rd_wg=fHWPK&pf_rd_p=4c8f1f8c-f261-4b8e-b40f-0f88309b757e&pf_rd_r=TRMFTVDFY5A7D8WTYJ6A&psc=1&refRID=TRMFTVDFY5A7D8WTYJ6A

regarding the sound card, have a look at the link below :) just plug into a rear IO usb port, then use a Y splitter (3.5mm to dual rca - which is included with the speakers) and plug it into the "headphone out" on the USB DAC dongle, this just basically removes the audio processing from the internal's of your pc, which is "noisy" due to data being transferred etc. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-70SB173000000-Sound-Blaster/dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=usb+dac&qid=1551025689&s=electronics&sr=1-6

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 9:31 AM, Derkoli said:

regarding the sound card, have a look at the link below :) just plug into a rear IO usb port, then use a Y splitter (3.5mm to dual rca - which is included with the speakers) and plug it into the "headphone out" on the USB DAC dongle, this just basically removes the audio processing from the internal's of your pc, which is "noisy" due to data being transferred etc. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-70SB173000000-Sound-Blaster/dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=usb+dac&qid=1551025689&s=electronics&sr=1-6

Derkoli thanks for the suggestions! I'm actually looking into grabbing a really good dac because I wanna spend about $150 on some new cans for music as well. No Idea which headphones I'm going with yet but they've gotta be over the ear and be great at bass so probably closed back but not a requirement. Have any suggestions based upon this change of plans?

Edit: I just saw the Audio board's suggestion section *facepalm* lol I'll do some readin there

Rest in peace, legend.

I really like my Logitec Z623 and the pricing has come down quite a bit, easy to find for 99 usd now.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:45 AM, Puma911 said:

Derkoli thanks for the suggestions! I'm actually looking into grabbing a really good dac because I wanna spend about $150 on some new cans for music as well. No Idea which headphones I'm going with yet but they've gotta be over the ear and be great at bass so probably closed back but not a requirement. Have any suggestions based upon this change of plans?

Edit: I just saw the Audio board's suggestion section *facepalm* lol I'll do some readin there

Lol, go have a look at that. also have a look at Audio Technica m50x's, also z reviews basically beat off over the creative aurvana live's on camera. Also the beyerdynamic DT 770 pro's are supposed to be really good.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)