Swiftech Hydrx PM vs Water in a Maximus VI formula

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

I already know that water has better thermal dissipation properties over all other liquid coolants, so I don't need to be reminded of it.

So I plan on doing a custom water loop and was leaning towards the mobo: ASUS M6F.

That being said, I understand that it has anodized aluminum to prevent corrosion with mixed metals (like a copper CPU block etc). But, after some research, I am wary of crossing my fingers that I will get a perfectly anodized mobo (and not damaged by shipping or handling in a warehouse). So, with the intention of long-term use, should I use a pre-mixed Swiftech Hydrx? Do they come with an expiration date (might stock up when I do the initial build)?

I've read that a water/ethylene glycol solution is a good option if you consider a custom loop and the Formula (with CrossChill).

I do plan on doing regular maintenance on the system, like every 4 months (at the end of every semester and the end of summer break). Is that too frequently? I don't think I would have the patience or time to do it in the middle of a semester. I want this system to last a good 3.5 - 4.5 years.

unless you are running some 1.4vcore voltage 24/7 (CPU suicide) or RAM voltage 1.7v+

the VRM cooling is old tech with accented aluminum bits. strictly overkill and unnecessary.

so far i have seen where this setup really makes the hose routing a giant spaghetti mess.

as you asked before, why not just use the Hero instead for the "value". the M6F does have

it's issues in some cases (workarounds available). plus the "extra" beef on the MOSFET

can limit roof radiator options.

using plain distilled water is fine, especially on the schedule you are looking to use. using

an additive can insure some protection. using a premix can get a bit pricey with shipping. 

I already know that water has better thermal dissipation properties over all other liquid coolants, so I don't need to be reminded of it.

So I plan on doing a custom water loop and was leaning towards the mobo: ASUS M6F.

That being said, I understand that it has anodized aluminum to prevent corrosion with mixed metals (like a copper CPU block etc). But, after some research, I am wary of crossing my fingers that I will get a perfectly anodized mobo (and not damaged by shipping or handling in a warehouse). So, with the intention of long-term use, should I use a pre-mixed Swiftech Hydrx? Do they come with an expiration date (might stock up when I do the initial build)?

I've read that a water/ethylene glycol solution is a good option if you consider a custom loop and the Formula (with CrossChill).

I do plan on doing regular maintenance on the system, like every 4 months (at the end of every semester and the end of summer break). Is that too frequently? I don't think I would have the patience or time to do it in the middle of a semester. I want this system to last a good 3.5 - 4.5 years.

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

Why do you want to use the VRM block, is it just for aesthetics?

Why wouldn't you want to use the built-in VRM blocks if you had a custom loop and the M6F?

Why pay for a feature that you have the components to use and not use it? Otherwise I'd just get the Hero.

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Just use distilled, anodized will be fine and since you're changing it every 4-6 months using hydrix and other mixes might be costly.

Error: 410

unless you are running some 1.4vcore voltage 24/7 (CPU suicide) or RAM voltage 1.7v+

the VRM cooling is old tech with accented aluminum bits. strictly overkill and unnecessary.

so far i have seen where this setup really makes the hose routing a giant spaghetti mess.

as you asked before, why not just use the Hero instead for the "value". the M6F does have

it's issues in some cases (workarounds available). plus the "extra" beef on the MOSFET

can limit roof radiator options.

using plain distilled water is fine, especially on the schedule you are looking to use. using

an additive can insure some protection. using a premix can get a bit pricey with shipping. 

So better value it is!

Which is probably better since my build budget just got slashed by about $2000...

M6F basically doesn't have a place in the game this generation.