RGB Controlling Project

Koxicain

Hey guys 

Im currently investing some time and money to complete my PC build with a lot of the RGB Goodness. 
My case is the Sharkoon TG5 with 4 LED Addressable RGB fans and one strip. My current motherboard is a MSI B350 PC Mate with 1 RGB header and im

no fan of the mystic light it supports, i am going to purchase a new motherboard when 3rd gen ryzen comes out and an AIO watercooler. 

My current thoughts to my build is that since i will have an AIO most likely in the fron as a pull config the RGB fans will no longer be visable so

im thinking of making an Infinity mirror in the glass instead since i have the space for it.  And might even do it around the PSU shroud. 

But i need something to control all of this goodness. I know since i have Gigabyte Aorus GFX that can only be controlled via RGB Fusion

which is kinda a horrible program with limited options. But im thinking about purchasing a Corsair Commander Pro to controll everything

since its connected to via USB and not the header on the board. 

Now my question is would my fans still be able to get controlled by Corsairs ICUE when connected to the hub?
What are your thoughts ? 

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: nat

PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz 

MSI MPG X570s Carbon Max Wifi 

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

On 2/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, Koxicain said:

-SNIP-

Corsair's RGB ecosystem is proprietary to their hardware, unless you want to modify the wiring and create your own adapters for it to function. 

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

Corsair's RGB ecosystem is proprietary to their hardware, unless you want to modify the wiring and create your own adapters for it to function. 

So Corsair will only work with Corsair fans etc? How can the corsair controller distinguish If a RGB strip or fan is made from Corsair ? 
Isnt the RGB cables just like DMX cables just with different 3-5 pin cables wouldnt it just register as a fan? I would buy their controller to be able to attach all my stuff instead of using MSI Mystic light. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

2 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

So Corsair will only work with Corsair fans etc? How can the corsair controller distinguish If a RGB strip or fan is made from Corsair ? 
Isnt the RGB cables just like DMX cables just with different 3-5 pin cables wouldnt it just register as a fan? I would buy their controller to be able to attach all my stuff instead of using MSI Mystic light. 

It can't distinguish between them but if you are looking for just a simple plug and play solution this will not be it since Corsair uses different connectors and not the commonly used standard for RGB LED strips.

If you wanted to cut up the wires and rewire them accordingly for the data power and ground lines, it can work. If you just want something to plug and use it looks like sharktoon has that covered with their own software controlled ecosystem. 

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/20201

1 minute ago, W-L said:

It can't distinguish between them but if you are looking for just a simple plug and play solution this will not be it since Corsair uses different connectors and not the commonly used standard for RGB LED strips.

If you wanted to cut up the wires and rewire them accordingly for the data power and ground lines, it can work. If you just want something to plug and use it looks like sharktoon has that covered with their own software controlled ecosystem. 

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/20201

Well as far as i know you able to calibrate your cables ? As long as the 12v is in the same spot you can calibrate the RGB ? But cutting cables is fine with me aswell. Just need to find some new connectors that i can use for it then

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

1 minute ago, Koxicain said:

Well as far as i know you able to calibrate your cables ? As long as the 12v is in the same spot you can calibrate the RGB ? But cutting cables is fine with me aswell. Just need to find some new connectors that i can use for it then

It's not 12V as these are addressable LED's they run at the standard 5V. As long as you don't mind cutting them up to redothe connections it's possible to control those fans to the lighting node pro or commander pro units. The fans will become group controlled as there are only two RGB headers on both those control units and will require splitters to connect up all the fans. 

Corsair's fans use an RGB hub which connects to the lighting node or commander pro to then distribute power and individual lighting control to the fans which in this case will not be used. 

This here documents the same method using third party addressable LED's. 

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168504

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's not 12V as these are addressable LED's they run at the standard 5V. As long as you don't mind cutting them up to redothe connections it's possible to control those fans to the lighting node pro or commander pro units. The fans will become group controlled as there are only two RGB headers on both those control units and will require splitters to connect up all the fans. 

Corsair's fans use an RGB hub which connects to the lighting node or commander pro to then distribute power and individual lighting control to the fans which in this case will not be used. 

This here documents the same method using third party addressable LED's. 

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168504

Hmm i see your point now about the cables. So mine are 4 pins with a 12 volt in it. Tbh i was really just looking for a program i could do addressable rgb effects with everything except my gfx ofc. And dont really know how the sharkoon program is, since i cant even open the program. I might go with the sharkoon but need to do some research on it. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

3 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Hmm i see your point now about the cables. So mine are 4 pins with a 12 volt in it. Tbh i was really just looking for a program i could do addressable rgb effects with everything except my gfx ofc. And dont really know how the sharkoon program is, since i cant even open the program. I might go with the sharkoon but need to do some research on it. 

If you like Asus's Aura sync software there is the ROG RGB controller which uses the common 3 pin type LED connector for addressable LED's which will make it plug and play. It is a bit pricey but simplifies things for future ARGB components. 

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Addressable-Controller-Four-Ports-ROG/dp/B07J6MY5CJ

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you like Asus's Aura sync software there is the ROG RGB controller which uses the common 3 pin type LED connector for addressable LED's which will make it plug and play. It is a bit pricey but simplifies things for future ARGB components. 

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Addressable-Controller-Four-Ports-ROG/dp/B07J6MY5CJ

I would have to rewire then since im using 4 pin. RGB + 12 volts. My fans use that + the fans also have Molex and normal fanheader cable

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

4 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

I would have to rewire then since im using 4 pin. RGB + 12 volts. My fans use that + the fans also have Molex and normal fanheader cable

If these are your fans and they are the common addressable type they are 3 pin and use the 5V, Data, Ground type connections. 

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/26876#specs

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

If these are your fans and they are the common addressable type they are 3 pin and use the 5V, Data, Ground type connections. 

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/26876#specs

Its not .. Wow. First i bought the TG4 Blue by a mistake and then i returned it to get the RGB version but apparently the TG5 Is not addressable.. 
Well i need to exchange all my fans. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Just now, Koxicain said:

Its not .. Wow. First i bought the TG4 Blue by a mistake and then i returned it to get the RGB version but apparently the TG5 Is not addressable.. 
Well i need to exchange all my fans. 

In that situation then we are talking about a different kind of controller, an analog 4 pin RGB one and not addressable type. But for the 3 pin ARGB type the ROG unit will do the job that you are looking for. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

In that situation then we are talking about a different kind of controller, an analog 4 pin RGB one and not addressable type. But for the 3 pin ARGB type the ROG unit will do the job that you are looking for. 

Yup.. I think im going to buy that + some fans :D thats going to be 100 dollars easy cause im stupid :P

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Just now, Koxicain said:

Yup.. I think im going to buy that + some fans :D thats going to be 100 dollars easy cause im stupid :P

In that case then you could go all out with the original idea with the Corsair commander and Corsair Fans/LED's. Just don't look at the wallet. ?

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

In that case then you could go all out with the original idea with the Corsair commander and Corsair Fans/LED's. Just don't look at the wallet. ?

Haha think corsair is abit too locked down tbh. Im thinking of getting UpHere case fans. Only heard good things about that brand and it cheap and with Asus controller

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

1 minute ago, Koxicain said:

Haha think corsair is abit too locked down tbh. Im thinking of getting UpHere case fans. Only heard good things about that brand and it cheap and with Asus controller

Corsair's and NZXT's addressable lighting software are pretty decent allowing for individual LED programming and control where Asus Aura does have some limitation if that is a feature you are looking for. I believe that is why they put out the ROG aura terminal since it has that individual control capability.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessories/ROG-Aura-Terminal/

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Corsair's and NZXT's addressable lighting software are pretty decent allowing for individual LED programming and control where Asus Aura does have some limitation if that is a feature you are looking for. I believe that is why they put out the ROG aura terminal since it has that individual control capability.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessories/ROG-Aura-Terminal/

Yeah so i would buy that terminal + 6 uphere fans and i should be good to go
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKB1NT3/ref=emc_b_5_t

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

5 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Yeah so i would buy that terminal + 6 uphere fans and i should be good to go
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKB1NT3/ref=emc_b_5_t

I don't see why that wouldn't work, you will need splitters though since the ROG terminal unit only has 4 ports and you probably want to have more than just a single fan on each for lighting control. 

The halo unit is designed for that surround backlighting effect on monitors so that may be something to look into if you use only say 3 of the 4 channels

available. 

EDIT: now that I look closer it's more designed for surround lighting so it may not be the best option for lighting effects inside of a case. 

Edited by W-L

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

I don't see why that wouldn't work, you will need splitters though since the ROG terminal unit only has 4 ports and you probably want to have more than just a single fan on each for lighting control. 

The halo unit is designed for that surround backlighting effect on monitors so that may be something to look into if you use only say 3 of the 4 channels available. 

Well the fans already comes with a controller so maybe i could use that as a hub instead. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB