New Build. Am I missing anything? Also, best way to install windows?

Ele Rebellion

I am starting a new build. Most of the parts are ordered and some are already starting to arrive. I'm not in any rush to get it built so I figured I would check here to see if there is anything I am missing from my build and also ask a few questions.

The Build:
Be Quiet. Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
i9-9900k
MSI MEG z390 Godlike
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64Gb (4x16GB) 3200mhz
Corsair Hydro Series, H150i Pro RGB 360mm AIO
Corsair AXi Series, AX 1200i
2x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
EVGA NVlink (4-slot)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe (1Tb)
2x Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Sata (1Tb x 2)
Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - OEM (This is where I messed up and should have ordered one that came on USB stick instead of DVD)
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

I think I basically have everything to build a replacement for my current gaming PC. All the peripherals will be swapped over.. anything that I am missing? Probably case fans? It comes with 3 140mms but if I run two 140 intakes at front and 3 120 exhaust at top for the H150i and a 140 exhaust at the rear I'll end up with negative case pressure right? Maybe run 3x 140 intake at front and the 3 120 exhaust at top w/o a rear exhaust until I get one ordered. Should have tons of positive case pressure to still exhaust air out the rear.
Also what is best option for installing windows 10 here.. I'm not putting an optical drive in the new computer. Should I just take the optical drive out of my current computer, leave the back panel open and temporarily run a sata power and cable out to it and install that way?

Get the windows creation media tool (its called something like that) and make a bootable USB, and just use the code from that.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

1 minute ago, zlolslavez said:

Get the windows creation media tool (its called something like that) and make a bootable USB, and just use the code from that.

Honestly I don't own a large enough USB stick.. I think the largest I have is one that a HAAS rep gave me back in 2012.. it might be 256mb...

7 minutes ago, Ele Rebellion said:

I am starting a new build. Most of the parts are ordered and some are already starting to arrive. I'm not in any rush to get it built so I figured I would check here to see if there is anything I am missing from my build and also ask a few questions.

The Build:
Be Quiet. Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
i9-9900k
MSI MEG z390 Godlike
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64Gb (4x16GB) 3200mhz
Corsair Hydro Series, H150i Pro RGB 360mm AIO
Corsair AXi Series, AX 1200i
2x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
EVGA NVlink (4-slot)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe (1Tb)
2x Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Sata (1Tb x 2)
Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - OEM (This is where I messed up and should have ordered one that came on USB stick instead of DVD)
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

I think I basically have everything to build a replacement for my current gaming PC. All the peripherals will be swapped over.. anything that I am missing? Probably case fans? It comes with 3 140mms but if I run two 140 intakes at front and 3 120 exhaust at top for the H150i and a 140 exhaust at the rear I'll end up with negative case pressure right? Maybe run 3x 140 intake at front and the 3 120 exhaust at top w/o a rear exhaust until I get one ordered. Should have tons of positive case pressure to still exhaust air out the rear.
Also what is best option for installing windows 10 here.. I'm not putting an optical drive in the new computer. Should I just take the optical drive out of my current computer, leave the back panel open and temporarily run a sata power and cable out to it and install that way?

Your better off getting a single 2080Ti.  SLI is pretty much a dead man walking.  Support for it sux and it doesn't give a huge performance increase.  A single 2080Ti OCed will be equal if not greater then 2x 2080's.  This isn't 10 years ago, SLI is the thing of the past unless your willing to spend a ton of money and not reap the benefits.  Also why get WIndows Home and not WIndows Pro ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Ele Rebellion said:

Honestly I don't own a large enough USB stick.. I think the largest I have is one that a HAAS rep gave me back in 2012.. it might be 256mb...

I don't see a problem with just doing your solution then with the optical drive thing, however that will be a bit slower vs USB 3. You can find USB 3 drives that are big enough (8GB, but I would just get 16GB) for like 5-10$; not a lot considering the build you just purchased ?, and it may come in handy later.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

I did just find an old SD Jump Drive.. I have a 32gb SD card in my camera. I think I can use that as USB stick?

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Your better off getting a single 2080Ti.  SLI is pretty much a dead man walking.  Support for it sux and it doesn't give a huge performance increase.  A single 2080Ti OCed will be equal if not greater then 2x 2080's.  This isn't 10 years ago, SLI is the thing of the past unless your willing to spend a ton of money and not reap the benefits.  Also why get WIndows Home and not WIndows Pro ?

I would agree with the SLI thing, but I don't see the point in getting Windows 10 Pro if you aren't going to use any of the features. Not worth the extra money just so it says "PRO" when you boot your PC. Now getting grey market pro keys is a different story. I personally have one, but with the issues that come with them I would avoid it if possible (stolen keys/may be deactivated randomly).

2 minutes ago, Ele Rebellion said:

I did just find an old SD Jump Drive.. I have a 32gb SD card in my camera. I think I can use that as USB stick?

That might not even be faster than the disk drive tbh. Buy a usb drive or just use your disk drive I think.

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

I would agree with you if these were 1080s but the scaling on 2080 though NVlink is far greater than what scaling was on the now outdated HB bridge. The 2080s are seeing scaling upwards of 86-94% according to multiple independent reviews (this is of course for games that support SLI) 
Also 2 2080s are getting better benchmarks and FPS than single 2080ti

8 minutes ago, Ele Rebellion said:

I would agree with you if these were 1080s but the scaling on 2080 though NVlink is far greater than what scaling was on the now outdated HB bridge. The 2080s are seeing scaling upwards of 86-94% according to multiple independent reviews (this is of course for games that support SLI) 
Also 2 2080s are getting better benchmarks and FPS than single 2080ti

You'll get much better performance over time if you just get a single 2080ti now and keep that cash in reserve to buy a future GPU

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

You'll get much better performance over time if you just get a single 2080ti now and keep that cash in reserve to buy a future GPU

This summer I will be swapping both out for MSI 2080ti Seahawk EK Xs .. I have been in contact with EK and they have confirmed to me that a Z390 Godlike monoblock is slated for Q2 2019. Once this comes out I will be swapping the whole thing over to a custom loop. So even if I go with a single RTX 2080ti I will still be replacing it this summer.
For now the 2 2080s I got on sale for about 1450 USD (compared to 1399 USD for a Gaming X Trio 2080ti) will actually provide me better performance for roughly same price. 

1 minute ago, Ele Rebellion said:

For now the 2 2080s I got on sale for about 1450 USD

Well for that price than go for it.You basically just got a free 2080

My life

Also want to note to people mentioning single RTX 2080ti, that the key features of RTX with Real Time Ray Tracing and DLSS only work with the 2080ti in 4k. The 2080ti will not support those features in 1440 or 1080. My preference for gaming is 3440x1440 which I do not believe that the 2080ti will support with ray tracing and dlss

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Well for that price than go for it.You basically just got a free 2080

2080s at full price are only 700-830 USD on newegg. 

If you have a dvd burner in your current machine download the Windows 10 ISO file and put it on an optical disk. See the instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4028192/windows-create-an-iso-file-for-windows-10.

When building the new system, at an appropriate point temporarily move the optical drive to the new machine and install from the disk you created.

Buy a valid registration key. Or, if you have an unused Windows 7 or 8 key you can use it.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

If you have a dvd burner in your current machine download the Windows 10 ISO file and put it on an optical disk. See the instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4028192/windows-create-an-iso-file-for-windows-10.

When building the new system, at an appropriate point temporarily move the optical drive to the new machine and install from the disk you created.

Buy a valid registration key. Or, if you have an unused Windows 7 or 8 key you can use it.

I ordered a new windows 10 license that comes with the installer on DVD. So I think I am just going to temp plug in the optical drive from the computer I am replacing to the new PC just long enough to install windows... and maybe the mobo drivers which will likely come on a disc as well.

21 minutes ago, Ele Rebellion said:

2080s at full price are only 700-830 USD on newegg. 

My bad thinking in CAD again

5 minutes ago, Ele Rebellion said:

. and maybe the mobo drivers which will likely come on a disc as well.

Don't do that,there probaly outdated just use the website instead

My life

My bad thinking in CAD again

Don't do that,there probaly outdated just use the website instead

Won't I need mobo drivers for my ethernet cable to work?

Well i've never been to the MSI website in my life to install drivers so I assume you'll be ok

My life

Unlikely in Windows 10.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Well i've never been to the MSI website in my life to install drivers so I assume you'll be ok

Ok.. things might have changed over last few years.. honestly this is the first time I'll have build a computer since 2013.. And that was a Z77 board to