New guy, OC rookie (I know you get this alot) need advice

vnbsaber

Hey guys, Im new here and I just built a new rig. I eventually want to get into overclocking and like most I have never done it before and want to learn the dos and donts, so Ive been doing a lot of searching on these forums found some nice OC rookie guides also found some nice videos on youtube.

My question is not what to do but if you guys have any resources that you know are good. While I have been watching and reading some things I dont know what is actually a good guide, I do watch videos from respected tech youtubers. But if you guys have anything I could read or watch to learn more before I actually do it. I would be much obliged!

What platform are you interested in? 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Sorry new to the whole thing.

My build

Intel i9-9900k

Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wifi

64gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz ram

Corsair H100i RGB Platinum

Nvidia RTX 2080ti

EVGA 850w Supernova G2

I have no need to overclock currently, but I built the system with the intention of learning how to OC and doing so in the future. Itll be a while before I do so, but I figured Id get a headstart on researching so when Im ready I have a good idea of what to do.

This is a fun forum, but if you want to get into overclocking this thread and site will be much more helpful: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1711718-9900k-overclock-results-questions.html

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

5 minutes ago, vnbsaber said:

Link doesnt work but Ill check out that forum!

It looks like that link/thread is not working unless you are logged in.  Weird.  It is 80+ pages specifically discussing overclocking the 9900k.  It is worth your time.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

It looks like that link/thread is not working unless you are logged in.  Weird.  It is 80+ pages specifically discussing overclocking the 9900k.  It is worth your time.

Strange it let me go to it in mobile no problems. I'll set up an account and book mark it. Thank you ?

You should really start by overclocking old components, also there's no reason to overclock a 9900K CPU right now, it's new and really powerful, it won't bottleneck any current graphics card. Best way to practice is to read articles to learn the most common terms related to voltages or specific parts of a CPU/motherboard and try overclocking stuff like old 462's, 775's or simple graphics cards (Radeon HD, GeForce 8/9, GTX 2, etc)

First you gotta know is that videos or guides aren't universal so you can't just "copy-paste" settings from videos to your components since they're different.

2 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

This is a fun forum, but if you want to get into overclocking this thread and site will be much more helpful: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1711718-9900k-overclock-results-questions.html

That site is bloody shit, whole, not just the 9900K section, guys there will just ignore 90% of threads/comments with questions or reply with troll comments whenever someone wants help, even the mods are trolls, it's like a closed society where new people isn't allowed or wanted, don't know why they haven't closed the registering yet. If we were to compare, this forum is 1000x better.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

7 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

You should really start by overclocking old components, also there's no reason to overclock a 9900K CPU right now, it's new and really powerful, it won't bottleneck any current graphics card. Best way to practice is to read articles to learn the most common terms related to voltages or specific parts of a CPU/motherboard and try overclocking stuff like old 462's, 775's or simple graphics cards (Radeon HD, GeForce 8/9, GTX 2, etc)

First you gotta know is that videos or guides aren't universal so you can't just "copy-paste" settings from videos to your components since they're different.

That site is bloody shit, whole, not just the 9900K section, guys there will just ignore 90% of threads/comments with questions or reply with troll comments whenever someone wants help, even the mods are trolls, it's like a closed society where new people isn't allowed or wanted, don't know why they haven't closed the registering yet. If we were to compare, this forum is 1000x better.

I have my old pc but it's not possible to OC unless I buy a new mobo. I thought about buying another mobo but since it's a 3570k they aren't cheap unfortunately. I don't intend to OC or do very little of it, maybe OC my ram if anything, for a long time. I'm just really starting to learn now so when I do attempt it won't be completely oblivious. 

Iirc s long as you keep it cool it should boost to 4.7ghz all core

Maybe try undervolting to reduce heat?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x