constant 80c

Triventular

okay so i noticed that even with or without my side panel on my temps for when im playing games is always at 80c. My case is a m-atx case with 2 fans in the front (look up Rakk Marug for reference) and 1 fan in the back and 1 on the top as exhaust. I have a gtx 970 ssc with the default fan curve (it gets noticably loud at above 55% fan speed) with one of the two fans not working properly. as for the cpu, im using an i5 3570 with a t2 mini (best i could do with my allowance at the time).. now im looking at changing the cooler to a better one but i think its not gonna matter cuz my temps dont change even when i have the panel on or not. still, would changing the cooler i have on my cpu to something beefier (like a 212) would do a significant change considering my case is full of hot air pumped from the 970. im also looking at changing the gpu cooler but all i see are older models of deepcool vga coolers and the arctic acceleros are not available in my country.. what are my other options for changing the cooler on my pc?

tl;dr

1. would changing my cpu fan to something beefier be worth it considering the inside of the case is full of hot air by the gpu?

2. would changing my gpu cooler reduce temps significantly?

3. what are my other options for gpu coolers besides older models of deepcool ones (not sure if it can fit) and arctic acceleros?

1 - CPU isn't throttling at these temps so likely not needed. How hot specifically does your CPU get? 75*c? 90*c?

2 - Reduce the GPU Power Limit in MSI-AB first towards a 75*c Result, not the 83*c Default,..so it never gets that hot? Because that'll do its job... with slightly reduced clocks, but no extra fan noise or heat..

3 - You have to research your PCB vs whats Sold,.. some GPU PCBs are non-standard.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

@SkilledRebuilds on the cpu side, its running at constantly 80c whenever my gpu is doing anything, regardless of the cpu itself doing nothing or something intensive. correct me if im wrong, throttling is when (i use osd with afterburner) the cpu usage just drops so hard during some tasks, like gaming, when it gets too hot, right? if that's the case, its holding that 80c for extended periods without a noticable drop in cpu usage.

i'll try that later when i have access to my computer, im worried cuz after seeing a recent video from youtube (techyescity) on a gtx 970 (tho a windforce model) its running not as hot compared to mine but i guess it having 3 fans plays a big factor into it being significantly cooler than my ssc model.

Im thinking of taking a friend's old gpu cooler from an older card, and see if it fits. my problem is that the pcb of the acx2.0+ cooler is different like it has 2 sets of holes for mounting when i checked it. Im guessing one of the set of holes is from a reference design and they just punched a new set of holes to fit the cooler evga is using. is the fan header on the card, compatible with other coolers?

alternatively, should i try and drill/punch holes in front of my case to help the front fans take more air in? my case only has a bottom slit where air can enter

It sounds like your CPU cooler might not be mounted properly. If your idle temps are lowish in the range of 30-40*C and the temp spikes at 80 under mild load then you need to check the cooler mounting, most likely one of the brackets aren't seated properly. This cooler shouldn't really have any issue with a 3570 that doesn't overclock (if you are overclocking that changes everything). If you do upgrade the cooler, there are better options than the 212 at the price point but we can discuss that later if needed.

The GPU thermal paste may be dried up which would explain your high GPU noise. The 970 is 5 years old now? If you feel confident enough to put a new cooler on it, you should be just fine putting some new thermal paste in. It is much cheaper and will most likely solve your problem. I was having issues with mine running hot and I dropped temps by 15*C just by changing thermal paste. I used Hydronaut on my cards which was worth the primium I paid. I was using MX5 but it didn't seem to be keeping up.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I was just about to say re-thermal paste that CPU cooler and remount it,..

Under full load,.. you should still be under 70-75*c easily (IMO) CPU wise.

Dragon Tamer just nailed a response so read the post above this :)

GPU wise, bad airflow,..good paste,... I'd still expect mid 70's on the GPU as well...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

@DragonTamer1 its mounted securely, cuz its using the same mounting as the intel stock cooler (the annoying 4 pegs that you need to align right).

@SkilledRebuilds okay so here's the weird thing, i used coolermaster ic value (couldn't find anything else at the time). Everytime i apply thermal paste (i apply a bit more than i should), the one i applied on my cpu is good but when i check on my gpu, the application looks too thin like i can clearly read the text on the chip itself and when i see the cooler most of the paste is pushed aside outside the chip, could it be that im using bad thermal paste resulting in this temperature problem i have?

15 minutes ago, Triventular said:

@SkilledRebuilds on the cpu side, its running at constantly 80c whenever my gpu is doing anything, regardless of the cpu itself doing nothing or something intensive. correct me if im wrong, throttling is when (i use osd with afterburner) the cpu usage just drops so hard during some tasks, like gaming, when it gets too hot, right? if that's the case, its holding that 80c for extended periods without a noticable drop in cpu usage.

i'll try that later when i have access to my computer, im worried cuz after seeing a recent video from youtube (techyescity) on a gtx 970 (tho a windforce model) its running not as hot compared to mine but i guess it having 3 fans plays a big factor into it being significantly cooler than my ssc model.

Im thinking of taking a friend's old gpu cooler from an older card, and see if it fits. my problem is that the pcb of the acx2.0+ cooler is different like it has 2 sets of holes for mounting when i checked it. Im guessing one of the set of holes is from a reference design and they just punched a new set of holes to fit the cooler evga is using. is the fan header on the card, compatible with other coolers?

alternatively, should i try and drill/punch holes in front of my case to help the front fans take more air in? my case only has a bottom slit where air can enter

Well 80c is ok, we just don't want to reach 100c in which case the computer will stuff off to protect the CPU chip from blowing up.  If your getting 80c on full in game load then that is normal, especially with your small case which airflow is not the greatest.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Well 80c is ok, we just don't want to reach 100c in which case the computer will stuff off to protect the CPU chip from blowing up.  If your getting 80c on full in game load then that is normal, especially with your small case which airflow is not the greatest.

yea i know. its doing a good job not exceeding 80c but what i want is an alternative to reduce those temperatures down to more acceptable levels

11 minutes ago, Triventular said:

@DragonTamer1 its mounted securely, cuz its using the same mounting as the intel stock cooler (the annoying 4 pegs that you need to align right).

These coolers are finicky, even if it looks like all the pegs are seated, one could have not caught. If one peg is not attached your idle temps are normal but load temps are high, if two on opposite sides didn't catch then your temps will be a little higher but not by much unless you are hammering the CPU then it will be much higher. If two on the same side didn't catch your idle and load temps would be high and your system would probably shut down.

You should double check regardless because I suspect one of them is not catching. Your temps are at the level they are because you have imperfect contact between the cooler and the CPU for some reason. If it's not the pegs it is the thermal paste application. I would expect this cooler to hold the CPU between 65*C and 75*C.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

@DragonTamer1 okay i'll try to remount it but last time i checked, it was on it securely like i couldn't find any wiggling with it. tho at this point it might be because of the thermal paste i used.. what's a good thermal paste i can buy that's relatively cheap (kinda having some problems) anything below $20 would be appreciated

6 minutes ago, Triventular said:

@DragonTamer1 okay i'll try to remount it but last time i checked, it was on it securely like i couldn't find any wiggling with it. tho at this point it might be because of the thermal paste i used.. what's a good thermal paste i can buy that's relatively cheap (kinda having some problems) anything below $20 would be appreciated

Go with Arctic MX-4 paste.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4 minutes ago, Triventular said:

This is the stuff that I use.

It is some of the best stuff you can get and you can use it to redo the paste on your GPU as well.

You can use this stuff as well but I started running into issues with it in my system not keeping temps in check so I switched. I would recommend the Thermal Grizzly above.

5 minutes ago, Triventular said:

@DragonTamer1 @Turtle Rig okay i'll try to check both and order online with what i need. PC component stores here are kinda overpriced

Shouldn't be over 15 bucks maximum no matter where you live.  

@Turtle Rig okay i just checked quick and this thing is just around $4 here... and reviews on the site are mostly 5 stars with pictures as evidence

14 minutes ago, Triventular said:

@Turtle Rig okay i just checked quick and this thing is just around $4 here... and reviews on the site are mostly 5 stars with pictures as evidence

Yes I use MX-4 it does not dry up like other pastes and is superior to the old ASS. 

As far has how to apply,, but a little in the middle of the CPU, then with your hand wearing latex glove spread it around carefully then once you install the cooler it will spread a bit more and give it time to settle in initially.  Temp difference are like 4o to 5c lower just because of using mX-4 ....... Great price too.

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes I use MX-4 it does not dry up like other pastes and is superior to the old ASS. 

As far has how to apply,, but a little in the middle of the CPU, then with your hand wearing latex glove spread it around carefully then once you install the cooler it will spread a bit more and give it time to settle in initially.  Temp difference are like 4o to 5c lower just because of using mX-4 ....... Great price too.

i saw someone who had a pic of a stress test on the page where his temps were peaking at 95c and when he happlied the paste it didnt go past 78c. ill prolly end up ordering one of these

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

No need to Finger it. If people don't want to.

THE COOLER spread does that.

People say the edge isn't covered... Many would..

However under the CPU heatspreaders on almost every CPU except Threadripper core count CPUs. The CPUdie almost always are lined up in the middle centre position, the cooler spread always covers this.

I was curious  and best bit, no internal tinkering required..

Motherboard Fan Section Settings / Profiles.?

If you set silent initially when installed, or such low/maybe even default.. Doesn't hit the Max CPU Fanspeed..?

Give it a look.. Maybe you can force an extra 5-10% Fanspeed across the temp ranges or something similar..

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

I was curious.

Motherboard Fan Settings / Profiles.?

If you set silent initially when installed, or such low/maybe even default.. Doesn't hit the Max CPU Fanspeed..?

Give it a look.. Maybe you can force an extra 5-10% Fanspeed across the temp ranges or something similar..

i dont think fan profiles will work for me considering 3 of the fans i use are molex fans. My motherboard has 2 headers for  fans. one of them is pwm and the other is just a 3 pin header. my cpu fan only uses 3 pins but i still plugged it in there.. i suppose that could be another factor why it gets up to that 80c threshold? so i should prolly get a new cooler for it too? what would be a good option besides 212 that are similar to the price range?

With so many clones available of the Hyper212 just get something similar but cheap..

Even a single fan on a bigger heatsink like a 212 (or alternate) will be easily enough for a 65watt part.

The Mini coolers such as yours is likely "best" for 45-65watt range CPUs.

While Hyper style coolers with 3-4+ heatpipes can handle 95w loads and little more with another fan and higher rpms.

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

The Mini coolers such as yours is likely "best" for 45-65watt range CPUs.

well that could be it haha my cpu is rated for 77watts xD haha okay, so anything with more heatpipes with 120mm fan is fine?

You can use your original cooler specs to compare when shopping for a new one.

Correct, current fan is locked to 2200rpm.

Hyper212 or alternative will be better.

if alternative,.. Check for 4pin pwm.

Maybe buy a 4pin to 2x4pin adapter for push pull or a second fan elsewhere.

Screenshot_20190218-201305.jpg

Note its also a 80mm fan, not a 92mm like I expected...

120mm Heatsink n Fan will set you up right,..

Less overall case heat IMO as well.

FYI.

Back in the day I had Hyper 212 1.0, a basic uneven heatpipes semi but not flat contact.

Cooled a 2600K OC 4.7Ghz 1.2somethingvolts so it handles 110-125w ish... with push-pull and probably not a lot more than 125watts.

Ample for your needs though.