PfSence Questions

ChaseB

I live in Texas. My ISP is Spectrum. A couple of years ago, I tried to install PfSence in my home. I went from the modem to the custom pc I had at the time. It did not work. I could not get the uplink to work. I plugged the router (I have a business setup. My router and AP are separate) back in and then plugged the PFSence after the router and it worked. The issue is that PFSense turned into the router and bypassed the old. I got rid of it all and remove PFSence from the mix. I still want PFSence. I mainly want it for VPNs and the firewall. Is PF Sence mainly a router or can I disable it and bypass the main router functions to the router behind. If not, is there another firewall solution/ anti virus system. I just want better security.

Chase B

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

6 minutes ago, ChaseB said:

The issue is that PFSense turned into the router and bypassed the old

Um, Pfsense is a router-OS. That's the whole point of it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you plug a PC directly into the modem, does it work?

If not, then you likely need some form of authentication such as PPPoE.  You may or may not be able to get those details from your original router, your ISP may have sent them in your paperwork, you might be able to ask them for the details or, if you are really unlucky, they might demand you use their own router only.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7