Where to start?

Slazeus

I've recently been wanting to get into tech on a professional level but I don't know where to start. 

Should I try and find an apprenticeship or just go for a course. What sort of qualifications would (or should) I have to work as an IT technician etc. 

I live in the Scottish highlands so feel free to share some suggestions if you have experience going this route from a rural area. 

For common reasons that tend to tie people to a location, if I need qualifications, distance learning / online courses would be preferable to re-locating. 

The hopeful end game here is either a self employed repair/IT tech or a employment as one.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on this topic.

9 minutes ago, Slazeus said:

The hopeful end game here is either a self employed repair/IT tech

Is your rural area capable of supporting this? The easiest thing I would suggest is hit the local computer repair shop, and see if they need help. Demonstrate your abilities and go from there.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I think it's definitely possible between all the towns dotted about. there isn't really a local one tbh. The nearest one would probably be a good 40 minute drive away in the closest city.

2 hours ago, Slazeus said:

The hopeful end game here is either a self employed repair/IT tech or a employment as one.

Are you willing to deal every day with stupid people?

11 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Are you willing to deal every day with stupid people?

I work in retail right now so don't worry I already do haha!

I think IT is great because there is so much online content available. I am sure there are distance learning qualifications for your country available. Are you interested in a formal apprenticeship? There are many options

Yeah I'd jump on a formal apprenticeship if it was close enough. I'm going to look more into it and have a look for some distance courses too I think.