Air on custom loop

Hi guys I am currently building my first two custom loops in a desk pc. I have a loop for the cpu and a loop for the GPU.

Today I tested one of the loops without the water block hooked up and without turning the pump on so I used fill ports to cap of the radiator and the pump ports that were not being used but would be connected to the water block in the future. I filled the loop from the bottom of the radiator with a funnel going in to some soft tubing that i lifted above the rest of the loop. When I began filling I realised that air was getting trapped in the loop and there is no way to get it out.

I can't lift the Res as I fill as the rest of the loop is hard tubing. The only solution is to lift the Res on one end but I think it will look silly. Does anyone have any ideas.

7 hours ago, Jacksterlfc9182 said:

Hi guys I am currently building my first two custom loops in a desk pc. I have a loop for the cpu and a loop for the GPU.

Today I tested one of the loops without the water block hooked up and without turning the pump on so I used fill ports to cap of the radiator and the pump ports that were not being used but would be connected to the water block in the future. I filled the loop from the bottom of the radiator with a funnel going in to some soft tubing that i lifted above the rest of the loop. When I began filling I realised that air was getting trapped in the loop and there is no way to get it out.

I can't lift the Res as I fill as the rest of the loop is hard tubing. The only solution is to lift the Res on one end but I think it will look silly. Does anyone have any ideas.

Welcome to the Forums!

It's a pretty common issue with desk loops since everything is horizontal, your best to have the res up higher for the time being to have it release as much as the air as possible when filling and to have the outlet be below the inlet level so that it doesn't readily suck in air bubbles and recirculate it through the loop. 

5 hours ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

It's a pretty common issue with desk loops since everything is horizontal, your best to have the res up higher for the time being to have it release as much as the air as possible when filling and to have the outlet be below the inlet level so that it doesn't readily suck in air bubbles and recirculate it through the loop. 

Thanks, currently the Res is the highest point and air is always and issue unless I lift the top side higher than the bottom which I think looks silly

11 minutes ago, Jacksterlfc9182 said:

Thanks, currently the Res is the highest point and air is always and issue unless I lift the top side higher than the bottom which I think looks silly

If you are talking about trying to get rid of the air pocket that will always bet trapped in the res that's pretty much universal with all horizontally mounted res units, you'll never get all the air out of the res or be able to 100% fill the loop. 

Tilting it so the bottom is lower is a common practice to help with flow and ensuring that the outlet is always below the waterline to never draw in air. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If you are talking about trying to get rid of the air pocket that will always bet trapped in the res that's pretty much universal with all horizontally mounted res units, you'll never get all the air out of the res or be able to 100% fill the loop. 

Tilting it so the bottom is lower is a common practice to help with flow and ensuring that the outlet is always below the waterline to never draw in air. 

So how should I fill the loop then because atm I can only get the Res 50 percent full.

2 minutes ago, Jacksterlfc9182 said:

So how should I fill the loop then because atm I can only get the Res 50 percent full.

What res and setup do you have? Most will use a multiport res units with a port that is face up allowing you to fill the loop as completely as possible. 

28 minutes ago, Jacksterlfc9182 said:

I have the ek RGB 250 Res was ocnsidering getting the multiplier top

Yeah the multi port top will help with that, since you can temporarily elevate the res while filling from the side port. Might be possible to do so at the bottom given enough freedom of movement if you can use the two side ports built into the bottom cap. 

2 hours ago, W-L said:

Yeah the multi port top will help with that, since you can temporarily elevate the res while filling from the side port. Might be possible to do so at the bottom given enough freedom of movement if you can use the two side ports built into the bottom cap. 

I'll send some pictures tonight when I get back