Cap or Uncap

GamerGamer321

Is it better to capped fps or uncapped fps. Which one is better for fortnite

Uncapped a FPS will typically give you a better experience.  In my case though, my GPU does not have adequate cooling, and will thermal throttle when run at 100% for a long time, resulting in it not working to its full potential when a frame comes around that needs it, which leads to frame drops.  Because of this, I typically cap my fps to run it at a lower demand.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Depends on some games, for me. Older games like the vanilla metro 2033 has a lot of stuttering despite playing on kinda decent hardware so i cap it to try and reduce the very noticable stutters. More cpu bound games like MHW, GTA: V, FFXV and can prove too much sometimes for my cpu (stock i5 3570 and I can see it almost always at 100% usage) so I cap them to try and reduce cpu usage (dunno how exactly it works but there's some difference in ffxv). but online games like csgo, pubg, league, etc.. i leave framerates uncapped as people tell me leaving them uncapped is better.

For fortnite i guess its kind of an easy to run game and it shouldn't be too taxing on hardware.. so, imo, leave it uncapped. I mean its better to have extra frames rather than have them and not use it

12 minutes ago, Triventular said:

Depends on some games, for me. Older games like the vanilla metro 2033 has a lot of stuttering despite playing on kinda decent hardware so i cap it to try and reduce the very noticable stutters. More cpu bound games like MHW, GTA: V, FFXV and can prove too much sometimes for my cpu (stock i5 3570 and I can see it almost always at 100% usage) so I cap them to try and reduce cpu usage (dunno how exactly it works but there's some difference in ffxv). but online games like csgo, pubg, league, etc.. i leave framerates uncapped as people tell me leaving them uncapped is better.

For fortnite i guess its kind of an easy to run game and it shouldn't be too taxing on hardware.. so, imo, leave it uncapped. I mean its better to have extra frames rather than have them and not use it

Where do i go to cap or uncap

13 minutes ago, GamerGamer321 said:

Where do i go to cap or uncap

if you want to cap to 60 you can just turn on v-sync. if you don't want to cap then just don't turn on v-sync. Forgot to mention that turning off v-sync will present screen tearing in some games. sometimes they're not that noticeable and sometimes they are but turning it on can introduce some input latency (correct me if im wrong). alternatively you can set a game to run on a specified max fps using rivatuner 

1 minute ago, Triventular said:

if you want to cap to 60 you can just turn on v-sync. if you don't want to cap then just don't turn on v-sync. Forgot to mention that turning off v-sync will present screen tearing in some games. sometimes they're not that noticeable and sometimes they are but turning it on can introduce some input latency (correct me if im wrong). alternatively you can set a game to run on a specified max fps using rivatuner 

What is the different between v-sync and freesync

19 minutes ago, GamerGamer321 said:

What is the different between v-sync and freesync

v-sync is for eliminating screen tearing at the cost of some input latency (not that noticable most times) while freesync tries to match the monitor's refresh rate to reduce screen tearing too. main difference is that v-sync is a software solution meaning most games will have an option like this while freesync is a hardware solution meaning you'd need to get a freesync monitor to actually use it.

Edit: not entirely sure if i worded these right but you can ask or google around if you want to know more