WordPress Permalink 404 Errors

Hello,

I have been trying to get a theme named Woffice to install and work properly on a new WordPress installation. However I have been fraught with 404 page issues. The problem is that this theme requires that you set the Permalink setting on WordPress to "Post name" or their other pages will give you 404 errors (mentioned on their documentation page here). The problem is that their theme is not the only one that is having this issue as any theme I try with the Permalink option set at "Post name" will undoubtedly have the 404 page error.

The system I am running is a Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS installation with a LAMP stack (Apache version 2.4.29 (Ubuntu) | MySQL version 5.7.25-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 | PHP version 7.2), and WordPress 5.0.3.

I know that with Post name set that all the pages I try and reach from the homepage shows that the server is trying to reach a directory on the root of the webserver that does not exist. Is there a default location that I need to set for Post name to work?

I unfortunately have little knowledge about the ins and outs of WordPress and any help would be greatly appreciated.