ASUS TUF FX504GM

So I bought this laptop a week ago and I need to make up my mind real quick whether to return it or keep it. I read lots of bad reviews of the laptop about thermal throttling, TDP limit and so, and to be completely fair I am not sure how to identify that. I bought this laptop mainly to play Battlefield 1 and it's working alrighty, just that I have some FPS drops and apparently that's because of the 8GB single channel. I'm going to add 8GB more if I keep the laptop.

But until then, I have still encountered some issues - the laptop has an i7-8750H & GTX 1060 3GB and I noticed that GPU temperature sits in the high 70s (77-78 degrees Celsius) when playing Operations/Conquest in BF1 which, for those who don't know what's the game about, is basically its most intense game mode. The CPU is more reasonable, it's around 72 degrees. So I tried different things so far; installed drivers off the Asus support website then undervolted both CPU & GPU using ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner respectively, went back in game and the temperatures are still around the same, 75-76 degrees for GPU and 71 for CPU. I tried different values for GPU and it didn't make a difference. So anyone has any ideas what I can do? Or maybe is this an issue of the laptop and it can't be solved?

What other issues are there and how can I test my laptop to see if it affects my experience with it? I have a few days left in the return policy so I need to make up my mind real quick if I want to return the laptop.

Don't just look at temps, check clock speeds too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Don't just look at temps, check clock speeds too

I have HWMonitor, is that what I need?

3 hours ago, kristalshards said:

I have HWMonitor, is that what I need?

Use Rivatuner to monitor clock speeds in game

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

6 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Ok but I need to reduce the trmperature, any ideas?

Undervolt and repaste

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Undervolt and repaste

Undervolt doesn't seem to work much, unless I'm doing something wrong

21 minutes ago, kristalshards said:

Undervolt doesn't seem to work much, unless I'm doing something wrong

Undervolt both core and cache

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Undervolt both core and cache

Yeh

Thats for cpu, the gpu is the problem here

41 minutes ago, kristalshards said:

the gpu is the problem

what problem?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

what problem?

Well I said in main post, it gets hot, up to 78 degrees and I tried undervolting it with MSI and nothing happened, temperatures remained around 75-76

2 hours ago, kristalshards said:

I tried undervolting it with MSI

can I have a look on how you do it?

clock speed might have increased, don't just check temps alone in thermal test

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

can I have a look on how you do it?

clock speed might have increased, don't just check temps alone in thermal test

Ok so let’s say I choose a voltage point on the graph on the default MSI settings (900mv it is) and let’s say it’s up to 1790mhz on the frequency scale, so I decide to make it reach 1850mhz. For that I add +60 at Core Clock, apply, Ctrl+F to open the graph again and then I move the voltage points after the 900mv in line with it. After that I click on the 900mv point, press L on the keyboard and click apply again.

i run Unigine Benchmark and temps are around 73-74 or more.

idk if I am doing it right but I was told by a friend to do like this so I just followed his steps.

in my mind i want the same clocks as they are atm if possible (no overclock) and lower temps that are in the low 70s at its highesf.

13 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Ok so let’s say I choose a voltage point on the graph on the default MSI settings (900mv it is) and let’s say it’s up to 1790mhz on the frequency scale, so I decide to make it reach 1850mhz. For that I add +60 at Core Clock, apply, Ctrl+F to open the graph again and then I move the voltage points after the 900mv in line with it. After that I click on the 900mv point, press L on the keyboard and click apply again.

i run Unigine Benchmark and temps are around 73-74 or more.

Try lower clock speed

Desktop specs:

Spoiler