Accessing files from computer at home while on another computer at school

Dak3117

Hey guys, I tried searching online and even on the forums but I did not have much luck (unless I'm just really bad at searching, which if that's the case then I apologize for the duplicate post).

So I just picked up the surface go for taking notes in class. I have a beastly (i.e. 10 lb) laptop I've been carrying around for the past 5 semesters, but it does not have a touch screen and it makes sense to take notes with more of a tablet since it seems my classes are shifting from normal notes to more of "fill in the slides". Now, my surface go only has around 45 gb of free storage, so I don't want to fill it up as much as possible and I'd like all my notes to be kept on my laptop anyway since I have around 3 years worth of engineering notes already organized there.

So the actual problem: How do I go about setting up my files to be accessible (i.e. opened and edited) by my surface go from my laptop while they are on different networks? Everything I have been able to find has been when two devices are on the same network. I guess I could look into remote accessing my laptop, but since I have windows home I'd probably have to pay for it so I've been avoiding it under that assumption. I'd also like to avoid one drive as well since I'm not too keen on relying on/dealing with cloud storage and my laptop has around 1TB of free storage anyway.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Easy way is to have a syncing program like nextcloud or google drive. Or just use google docs or office 365.

That kind of falls in line with one drive. I have all my text books saved as pdf's that I'd have to upload, and then I would have to either use the web version of apps, or be constantly updating things on both my laptop and surface.

2 minutes ago, Dak3117 said:

That kind of falls in line with one drive. I have all my text books saved as pdf's that I'd have to upload, and then I would have to either use the web version of apps, or be constantly updating things on both my laptop and surface.

You can do things like ftp but its a pain.

Id just give onedirve a shot. It will sync files so you can use normal apps. If you want to host it your self you can use nextcloud.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can do things like ftp but its a pain.

Id just give onedirve a shot. It will sync files so you can use normal apps. If you want to host it your self you can use nextcloud.

I'll look into ftp, I'm not afraid of getting my hands a little dirty :)

Thank you

Just now, Dak3117 said:

I'll look into ftp, I'm not afraid of getting my hands a little dirty :)

Thank you

the problem with ftp is its just a pain to use and not secure. Look at nextcloud first.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

the problem with ftp is its just a pain to use and not secure. Look at nextcloud first.

Ok, I'll check it out first. Thanks for the heads up.