PS4 Exclusives

Aereldor
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

PS5 is likely coming in holidays 2020, and John Linneman from Digital Foundry (a rock solid source) claims it will absolutely have PS4 backwards compatibility. A few comments on games you have mentioned:

• Bloodborne is unbelievable, to me it's the game of the decade. It improves so much over the Souls games since you can't hide behind a shield. Instead you have to play really aggressively since you can gain health back in a quick window after losing it by performing counter attacks. The setting is really immersive too. Bloodborne alone makes PS4 worth buying IMO.
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake will be a PS5 game if it's ever made. The game was completely scrapped and started over from scratch a year or two ago, so no way we see it this gen.
  • It sounds like The Last of Us Part II will come out this year on PS4, but no guarantees (same for Death Stranding, since Kojima himself was teasing it for 2019).
  • Shadow of the Colossus is one of the few games where the Pro version is significantly improved over the regular. On the Pro you can run 1080 60 fps while on the Slim you're talking 1080p 30 fps. It's a beautiful and fun game, but Bluepoint stayed pretty true to the PS2 original with the controls, which some might not like.

PS4 has some pretty amazing games this gen worth checking out though, especially with PC being in a major drought for single player games other than the last two Assassins Creeds. Other stuff worth checking out on PS4:

• Horizon Zero Dawn - Kind of like a third person Far Cry game, but better than Far Cry 3 or 4 IMO (I haven't played 1, 2, or 5 yet). Highly recommended and it's $16 for the complete edition right now on PSN
  • Persona 5 - Arguably the best turn based RPG since Fallout 2. Incredible soundtrack and art style and combat is awesome.
  • The Last of Us Remastered - If you didn't play this on PS3 it's a great stealth game and one of the best stories ever told in gaming.
  • Uncharted 1-3 Remastered, Uncharted 4 - Corny as hell but really cool action games if you like the modern Tomb Raider series. Very similar to those.
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - One of the most stunning 2D beat em ups ever made. God the art is beautiful in this game and the combat is pretty fast paced. Though this one can actually run really well on the RPCS3 emulator also (trying the PS3 version for an hour on the emulator convinced me to buy it for PS4)
  • Dragon's Crown - Another Vanillaware 2D beat 'em up game like Odin Sphere. Cool art but not as impressive as Leifthrasir. Though the character design is great. Especially the thick girl who can attack with her big ass. ?
  • Ratchet & Clank - One of the best 3D platformers made this gen. It's no Super Mario Odyssey but looks like a Pixar movie and the sheer variety of weapons makes it pretty funny.

I haven't played God of War or Spiderman yet though they both look incredible. I hate to not include the Yakuza series because they're like modern day Streets of Rage games but with great storylines and lots of weird Japanese humor, but Yakuza 0 came out on PC last year and its sequel Yakuza Kiwami will come out on PC this year. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is great though and as of now there has been no PC version announced. The PS3 games Yakuza 3-5 will also be getting 60 fps remasters on PS4 at some point in the US (the remaster of 3 is already out in Japan and 4 is either just released or just about to release in Japan). Nioh was another really solid PS4 exclusive now out on PC.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will almost certainly come to PC in a year or two so I wouldn't factor that in unless you're in a rush to play it. I anticipate the same for Kingdom Hearts 3 since Square Enix seems to like porting their IP to PC a couple of years later.

I'm on the fence about a PS4 Pro. Lifelong PC gamer, but the Shadow of the Colossus remake, Bloodborne, the Final Fantasy VII remake, and The Last Of Us 2 are going to break me.

I got away with emulating Breath of the Wild (1440p 60fps, all hail the PC master race). I got away with emulating Xenoblade Chronicles. But we can't even emulate PS3 games well, let alone PS4.

Convince me. What are some other awesome PS4 exclusives that I'm missing out on? 

Or am I better off waiting a few years for a PS5, in the hope that I can run all of these games?

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

If you really want to play the games just go with a regular PS4 from eBay. Even tho I hail the PC Master Race, I still play halo on Xbox, and then CS:GO if we bring our laptops when we get together. If you can find a decent deal it's very much worth it in my opinion for the exclusives.

Home Base : Ryzen 5 2400G - ASROCK HDV R4.0 B450M -  Corsair Vengance Pro RGB 2x8GB @3200Mhz - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT - WB Black (2018) 500GB NVME SSD - 250GB WD (P.O.S.) HDD - 250GB LITEONIT SSD - Cougar MX330 ATX Tower - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GQ 750W Gold- Razer Deathaddder Elite - Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

I'm on the fence about a PS4 Pro. Lifelong PC gamer, but the Shadow of the Colossus remake, Bloodborne, the Final Fantasy VII remake, and The Last Of Us 2 are going to break me.

Shadow of the Colossus is basically the same game as PS2 just more beautiful.

Bloodborne -> You like Dark Souls? If yes, grab it. If not, its not for you.

The Rest is uncertain if it even comes to PS4 and not PS5...

Convince me. What are some other awesome PS4 exclusives that I'm missing out on? 

Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War (Dad of Boy Edition), Detroit Become Human (if you like interactive Movies)...

And for now only on Consoles: Red Dead Redemption 2.

Or am I better off waiting a few years for a PS5, in the hope that I can run all of these games?

PS5 comes in maybe 1,5, probably more like 2-2,5 Years. SO its a long time until then.

When it arrives, you may have platinumed a couple of those games (especially Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

29 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Shadow of the Colossus is basically the same game as PS2 just more beautiful.

Bloodborne -> You like Dark Souls? If yes, grab it. If not, its not for you.

The Rest is uncertain if it even comes to PS4 and not PS5...

Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War (Dad of Boy Edition), Detroit Become Human (if you like interactive Movies)...

And for now only on Consoles: Red Dead Redemption 2.

PS5 comes in maybe 1,5, probably more like 2-2,5 Years. SO its a long time until then.

When it arrives, you may have platinumed a couple of those games (especially Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn)...

I forgot about Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm looking forward to playing that.

I really like Blue Point's work on the remaster, since they essentially remade the game from the ground up. The original game was an absolute marvel for simulating all that it did on the PS2 (and I can emulate it on PC without a hitch) but it does look significantly dated. I'm not saying a game has to look realistic and modern to be a good game, but I love the look of the remake.

RDR2 I'm definitely playing on PC. Spider man, maybe.

Hey, if the Final Fantasy VII remake is going to be on PS5, I don't care if I have to wait 2 more years. Gives me time to graduate.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

PS5 is likely coming in holidays 2020, and John Linneman from Digital Foundry (a rock solid source) claims it will absolutely have PS4 backwards compatibility. A few comments on games you have mentioned:

• Bloodborne is unbelievable, to me it's the game of the decade. It improves so much over the Souls games since you can't hide behind a shield. Instead you have to play really aggressively since you can gain health back in a quick window after losing it by performing counter attacks. The setting is really immersive too. Bloodborne alone makes PS4 worth buying IMO.
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake will be a PS5 game if it's ever made. The game was completely scrapped and started over from scratch a year or two ago, so no way we see it this gen.
  • It sounds like The Last of Us Part II will come out this year on PS4, but no guarantees (same for Death Stranding, since Kojima himself was teasing it for 2019).
  • Shadow of the Colossus is one of the few games where the Pro version is significantly improved over the regular. On the Pro you can run 1080 60 fps while on the Slim you're talking 1080p 30 fps. It's a beautiful and fun game, but Bluepoint stayed pretty true to the PS2 original with the controls, which some might not like.

PS4 has some pretty amazing games this gen worth checking out though, especially with PC being in a major drought for single player games other than the last two Assassins Creeds. Other stuff worth checking out on PS4:

• Horizon Zero Dawn - Kind of like a third person Far Cry game, but better than Far Cry 3 or 4 IMO (I haven't played 1, 2, or 5 yet). Highly recommended and it's $16 for the complete edition right now on PSN
  • Persona 5 - Arguably the best turn based RPG since Fallout 2. Incredible soundtrack and art style and combat is awesome.
  • The Last of Us Remastered - If you didn't play this on PS3 it's a great stealth game and one of the best stories ever told in gaming.
  • Uncharted 1-3 Remastered, Uncharted 4 - Corny as hell but really cool action games if you like the modern Tomb Raider series. Very similar to those.
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - One of the most stunning 2D beat em ups ever made. God the art is beautiful in this game and the combat is pretty fast paced. Though this one can actually run really well on the RPCS3 emulator also (trying the PS3 version for an hour on the emulator convinced me to buy it for PS4)
  • Dragon's Crown - Another Vanillaware 2D beat 'em up game like Odin Sphere. Cool art but not as impressive as Leifthrasir. Though the character design is great. Especially the thick girl who can attack with her big ass. ?
  • Ratchet & Clank - One of the best 3D platformers made this gen. It's no Super Mario Odyssey but looks like a Pixar movie and the sheer variety of weapons makes it pretty funny.

I haven't played God of War or Spiderman yet though they both look incredible. I hate to not include the Yakuza series because they're like modern day Streets of Rage games but with great storylines and lots of weird Japanese humor, but Yakuza 0 came out on PC last year and its sequel Yakuza Kiwami will come out on PC this year. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is great though and as of now there has been no PC version announced. The PS3 games Yakuza 3-5 will also be getting 60 fps remasters on PS4 at some point in the US (the remaster of 3 is already out in Japan and 4 is either just released or just about to release in Japan). Nioh was another really solid PS4 exclusive now out on PC.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will almost certainly come to PC in a year or two so I wouldn't factor that in unless you're in a rush to play it. I anticipate the same for Kingdom Hearts 3 since Square Enix seems to like porting their IP to PC a couple of years later.

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Far Cry 1 is your average shooter, more like Crysis as it was made by the same team. So you can say its the predecessor to Crysis.

And 5 I found a bit meh, because of the constant harassment of the Mobs. Has little to nothing in common from the mechanics of 3 or 4. They got rid of the crafting. Need to say more?

...and as always, you're a lucky guy with the $16 for the Complete Edition. No sale here in Euroland :(

Darn, I always forget it for no reason.

Yeah, its awesome.

Though its more like a 3D Run and Gun Game with some Hack and Slash elements, not a real plattformer like SMO or New Super Mario Bros.

I haven't played God of War or Spiderman yet

Why??

You should absolutely put them on your priority to play list. Especially Spider-Man.

IMO:
God of War is more a Story Driven Action Hack and Slash Game (pretty much like more modern Assasin's Creed Games)

Spider-Man is awesome because its a very lovely done Spider-Man Game that is awesome because of the mechanics and fights (though some Enemys are really really annoying).

Still, if you don't mess up the game and buy the Suits instead of Updates, it shouldn't be too hard to Platinum Spider Man...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

First off, what an amazing reply. Thank you!

PS5 is likely coming in holidays 2020, and John Linneman from Digital Foundry (a rock solid source) claims it will absolutely have PS4 backwards compatibility.

Then I'll probably wait for a PS5! 

• Final Fantasy VII Remake will be a PS5 game
  • The Last of Us Part II will come out this year on PS4.
  • Shadow of the Colossus is one of the few games where the Pro version is significantly improved over the regular.

Well, there's one less breaking point. As for The Last Of Us 2, I've actually held off on playing the first one, and doubled down when the remaster came out. Shadow of the Colossus seems to have improved effects and draw distance on the pro even in the 60fps 'performance mode', and the 30fps 2k 'cinematic mode' is honestly earth-shatteringly gorgeous. I've held off on the original game because I love the concept so much, but I may give up and emulate PS2 on PC.

• Ratchet & Clank

I forgot to mention this!

I also need to figure out if PSN has country-varying prices. On Steam, prices in the currency are related directly to purchasing power. I live in the US, but I set up my accounts back home in India, so I get Steam games for a fraction of the cost. However, it just won't be worth it if I need to pay US retail prices. 

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why??

You should absolutely put them on your priority to play list. Especially Spider-Man.

IMO:
God of War is more a Story Driven Action Hack and Slash Game (pretty much like more modern Assasin's Creed Games)

Spider-Man is awesome because its a very lovely done Spider-Man Game that is awesome because of the mechanics and fights (though some Enemys are really really annoying).

Still, if you don't mess up the game and buy the Suits instead of Updates, it shouldn't be too hard to Platinum Spider Man...

I have a copy of God of War but man my backlog is nuts. Strange because the God of War reveal at E3 2016 was probably the biggest reason I even bought a PS4. I also want to play 2 and 3 before the new one. I own every single God of War game but have only played the first so far. Spiderman looks great but my backlog is so long I won't buy until it's $20. Not because I don't think it's worth $60, but because it would be buried behind the following games I already have in my backlog:

• God of War 2,3,4
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
  • Yakuza 3-5

Plus Sekiro Shadows Die Twice and Dying Light 2 are going to be Day 1 buys for me most likely, so it's going to be a while before I play Spiderman.

8 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

First off, what an amazing reply. Thank you!

Then I'll probably wait for a PS5! 

Well, there's one less breaking point. As for The Last Of Us 2, I've actually held off on playing the first one, and doubled down when the remaster came out. Shadow of the Colossus seems to have improved effects and draw distance on the pro even in the 60fps 'performance mode', and the 30fps 2k 'cinematic mode' is honestly earth-shatteringly gorgeous. I've held off on the original game because I love the concept so much, but I may give up and emulate PS2 on PC.

I forgot to mention this!

I also need to figure out if PSN has country-varying prices. On Steam, prices in the currency are related directly to purchasing power. I live in the US, but I set up my accounts back home in India, so I get Steam games for a fraction of the cost. However, it just won't be worth it if I need to pay US retail prices. 

I can imagine that's why Sony isn't saying anything about PS5 BC, because they still want people to go out and buy PS4. But if Digital Foundry is reporting something I'll take it as true. No clue if you can get cheaper prices in the Indian store. I'd say be patient on SoTC and wait to play it on PS5/PS4. It was way too much for the PS2 to handle and has big frame drops both on real PS2 and in PCSX2 emulation.