PC Gaming with TV instead of Monitor

Go to solution Solved by Going_AFK,

It is depending on what you play, if it is competitive gaming then no then you would monitor but for casual games e.g. A hat in time and rocket league etc then you can go with a tv. P.S, watch this video talking about the 120Hz

I am looking to buy a new monitor for the new PC I am going to build soon. I am leaning towards 1440p at a high refresh rate. I noticed when I was online shopping, that 4K TV's are cheaper than 1440p 144hz Monitors. Now the cheapest 1440p monitor I could find was about $300. The cheapest 4K I could find was $210 (43inch). My desk is large and I can put a tv in the very back instead of a monitor, so I don't see what would stop me from doing this except that the TVs are suspiciously cheaper, and I don't know a lot of people who PC game on large TVs. Also, for a little more money, I could get a 4K 120hz TV... which I thought was impossible because 4K really only goes up to 60HZ on monitors. Is this just because of the PPI then?? thx

It is depending on what you play, if it is competitive gaming then no then you would monitor but for casual games e.g. A hat in time and rocket league etc then you can go with a tv. P.S, watch this video talking about the 120Hz

Make sure you either use the Game mode (sometimes a display option like Vivid etc), or set the HDMI input on the TV to PC (sometimes called RGB). Otherwise you'll get bad input lag and those post-processing features that ruin image quality.

Edited by Richard Webster

I hooked up my PC to my TV because I wanted to try out 4K and HDR...it sucked balls. The input lag was horrendous, and colours were off, and there was ghosting everywhere and I wasn't even playing packman! And that's on a $750 TV not a $250 one! (Console gaming is fine on it funnily enough, but PC gaming....never again)

If you're playing quicked pace games like first person shooters etc. you need a monitor since it has low response time, higher refresh rate etc. If you play games like LoL, you should be ok but there will still be a input lag. Don't believe the 4k 120 HZ SHIT THEY SAY!That is usually on hd, on 4k its more like 24hz, 30hz or max to max 60hz

2 hours ago, Going_AFK said:

omg how did I not see this video before thx so much

16 hours ago, James the Broke Gamer said:

I am looking to buy a new monitor for the new PC I am going to build soon. I am leaning towards 1440p at a high refresh rate. I noticed when I was online shopping, that 4K TV's are cheaper than 1440p 144hz Monitors. Now the cheapest 1440p monitor I could find was about $300. The cheapest 4K I could find was $210 (43inch). My desk is large and I can put a tv in the very back instead of a monitor, so I don't see what would stop me from doing this except that the TVs are suspiciously cheaper, and I don't know a lot of people who PC game on large TVs. Also, for a little more money, I could get a 4K 120hz TV... which I thought was impossible because 4K really only goes up to 60HZ on monitors. Is this just because of the PPI then?? thx

No such thing as a 4k TV at 120Hz.  All TV's are 60hz and they use motion rate and each company calls it their own name but that is what they do so its technology 120 motion that looks exactly as if you had a 120hz tv.  You can however find 4k 24" or a bit higher that can do 144hz and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card