So, about those P106-100 cards

Bigun

Linus mentioned using them for playing games, but he overlooked (or failed to mention) two major use cases.

1. Machine learning
  2. Password Hashing

I'm part of a group that has an interest in both areas, and with the price at nearly a third of a 1060, no need of video output, and verified functionality of both use cases above, there's only one question left:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.222b164bKyLjg3&id=554770906053&scm=1007.12144.95220.42296_0&pvid=621dc839-7b91-4c76-a4ad-46cd82bf44ac&utparam={"x_hestia_source"%3A"42296"%2C"x_object_type"%3A"item"%2C"x_mt"%3A0%2C"x_src"%3A"42296"%2C"x_pos"%3A1%2C"x_pvid"%3A"621dc839-7b91-4c76-a4ad-46cd82bf44ac"%2C"x_object_id"%3A554770906053}

How do I read Cantonese?  At the current CNY to USD exchange range, each card would be about $75 plus whatever shipping is, it's a price that cannot be passed up, but I have no clue what the hell I am looking at.

*edit*

Disregard, Chrome translated the site enough for me to muddle through.  About to order two of them, I hope.

*edit*

Nope, stuck on the ordering page/ create shipping address portion.  If anyone here knows Cantonese and can help me, I sure would appreciate it.  Looks like this card can't be shipped to the United States either.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 6:46 PM, Bigun said:

Linus mentioned using them for playing games, but he overlooked (or failed to mention) two major use cases.

1. Machine learning
  2. Password Hashing

I'm part of a group that has an interest in both areas, and with the price at nearly a third of a 1060, no need of video output, and verified functionality of both use cases above, there's only one question left:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.222b164bKyLjg3&id=554770906053&scm=1007.12144.95220.42296_0&pvid=621dc839-7b91-4c76-a4ad-46cd82bf44ac&utparam={"x_hestia_source"%3A"42296"%2C"x_object_type"%3A"item"%2C"x_mt"%3A0%2C"x_src"%3A"42296"%2C"x_pos"%3A1%2C"x_pvid"%3A"621dc839-7b91-4c76-a4ad-46cd82bf44ac"%2C"x_object_id"%3A554770906053}

How do I read Cantonese?  At the current CNY to USD exchange range, each card would be about $75 plus whatever shipping is, it's a price that cannot be passed up, but I have no clue what the hell I am looking at.

*edit*

Disregard, Chrome translated the site enough for me to muddle through.  About to order two of them, I hope.

*edit*

Nope, stuck on the ordering page/ create shipping address portion.  If anyone here knows Cantonese and can help me, I sure would appreciate it.  Looks like this card can't be shipped to the United States either.

Use a Taobao agent. I can recommend a couple depending on what country you're from. They're basically 3rd parties that take care of ordering and shipping for you. They typically speak English better than Taobao sellers and take care of most of the annoying negotiation that may have to happen. Of course, there will be a slight fee added but I'd take it for the convenience (for me it was a 7 USD service fee and a 7 USD shipping fee, but prices differ from case to case and from agent to agent).

Look for forums that discuss Taobao shopping in your country, most countries have reputable Taobao agents (shopping from China is more popular than you may think).

If you're wondering why Taobao doesn't want to ship internationally, it's a bit like Ebay-- I live in Malaysia and I'm annoyed when people say that they refuse to ship outside of the US. Fact is, people are reluctant to ship internationally for a variety of reasons, unfamiliarity being one of them, general distrust being another. I personally have to rely on a freaking agent if I want something shipped to me from both China and the US, isn't that great?

On another note, you may be able to use the P106s for your two mentioned use cases without having to modify the driver, and just using the official ones, as the hacks to the driver are done to enable many gaming-specific features like DirectX support that were locked away from the P106.

Alternatively, if you have some money to burn, I can sell you five P106s for 400 bucks ?

• 1 month later...
  1. has any one try to solder hdmi port from old graphic card to p106-100  they have same board as old gen gtx 950 and similar

• 1 year later...

Wanted to follow up:  These cards work just fine for machine learning - confirmed.  I'd imaging password hashing would work fine too.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel