Check video cable

Iamcheff

What could it be ?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What cause could it be?

• Psu lack of power ?
    • Vga to dvi converter ?

"Check Video Cable"

Last December, I upgraded my main gpu from gtx 660 to gtx 1060, and now I try to re build a pc with the use of gtx 660 which is my old gpu. I used a Vga to Dvi converter to connect from monitor to gpu, after that it says " Check video cable ", after some tries I did something that this work, I re-install old drivers and it works but after a several days it goes back again and sometimes while playing the monitor goes off and on just like pulling out the cable and putting back it. I have no problem with using a Vga on motherboard and with my other old gpu gt730 also uses vga. I can resolve the problem by doing to boot pc with vga motherboard and set next reboot to safe mode, and the next time it boot up it works. But re doing this solution is annoying. I think the GPU automatically use a higher resolution since the pc only uses 4:3 1024x768.

Specification : 
Cpu : Amd phenom ii x4 b55 (Unlocked core for Phenom ii x2 555)
GPU : GTX 660 no Ti
RAM : 8gb of Ddr 3 1600mhz
PSU : 550w with 12v1 x 16a and 12v x 14a

a lack of power would just make it turn down directly. I'm thinking the converter, cable or connectors are the problem here

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

a lack of power would just make it turn down directly. I'm thinking the converter, cable or connectors are the problem here

I tried touching on the dvi converter and it really turn off and on, but booting up with the error (What I mean is when I turn on the PC and the "Check video cable" exist) and trying to re plug the cable and converter doesn't work as solution, I need to set next boot up to safe mode by connecting cable to motherboard and it work again. I tried running Furmark and Prime95 for 20 mins and playing games for many hours for testing on Monday. And now the problem occur again, it really so annoying to keep changing the cable for it to work. 

Just now, Iamcheff said:

I tried touching on the dvi converter and it really turn off and on, but booting up with the error (What I mean is when I turn on the PC and the "Check video cable" exist) and trying to re plug the cable and converter doesn't work as solution, I need to set next boot up to safe mode by connecting cable to motherboard and it work again. I tried running Furmark and Prime95 for 20 mins and playing games for many hours for testing on Monday. And now the problem occur again, it really so annoying to keep changing the cable for it to work. 

then I would just try a different converter and cable. one of the two seems to be the problem here

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

then I would just try a different converter and cable. one of the two seems to be the problem here

My thought is not the cable but the converter, since the problem doesn't exist on vga of motherboard and in my gt 730 which is also uses vga, the cable should not be the problem, am I right ? I really need to try other converter soon since this converter is old. Is there a way to test this converter ?

Just now, Iamcheff said:

Is there a way to test this converter ?

yeah... try it on a different pc/laptop

On 1/30/2019 at 10:58 PM, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... try it on a different pc/laptop

I tried a new cable adapter, now it's on DVI - D," I will update if problem still persist ". It also has  a, I don't know what this called about but it look like there is something running on my monitor horizontally but can't be seen so much. The same with be dvi-i

2 minutes ago, Iamcheff said:

I tried a new cable adapter, now it's on DVI - D, I update it problem still persist. It also has  a, I don't know what this called about but it look like there is something running on my pc horizontally but can't be seen so much. The same with be dvi-i

@GoldenLag you got some free time?

Edited by LukeSavenije

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I miss type some of my word, I did edit my reply ,it's inside the quote sorry

49 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

In like 40 min yes. Ive got a tiny bit now. What am i here to do?

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

In like 40 min yes. Ive got a tiny bit now. What am i here to do?

help me troubleshoot because i don't really know... you were the fist one i found online

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

help me troubleshoot because i don't really know... you were the fist one i found online

Ill get back to it in 40 min

For now ill just ask. Is it an active converter or Passive?

44 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Just putting it out there that im not that great of a troubleshooter.

1 hour ago, Iamcheff said:

I tried a new cable adapter, now it's on DVI - D," I will update if problem still persist ". It also has  a, I don't know what this called about but it look like there is something running on my monitor horizontally but can't be seen so much. The same with be dvi-i

My best suggestion is that yoj are using a passive adapter and not an active one, which could cause the problems experienced. 

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Just putting it out there that im not that great of a troubleshooter.

My best suggestion is that yoj are using a passive adapter and not an active one, which could cause the problems experienced. 

Bro, I had a check on it, as I have know Active adapter has a " Active " written on it right, and for the passive there is no written just the logo. In that case, I had a passive adapter, also I noticed that when I turn on the avr (Not powring on the pc just the avr) it display " Monitor is going to sleep " same as when I plug in the VGA to VGA mobo. not the same on the DVI - I converter that it says " Check video cable ".

10 minutes ago, Iamcheff said:

Bro, I had a check on it, as I have know Active adapter has a " Active " written on it right, and for the passive there is no written just the logo. In that case, I had a passive adapter, also I noticed that when I turn on the avr (Not powring on the pc just the avr) it display " Monitor is going to sleep " same as when I plug in the VGA to VGA mobo. not the same on the DVI - I converter that it says " Check video cable ".

I badly phrased my last quote. A passive adapter usually arent as reliable as a decent active one. 

I can personally only blame the adapter for this based om what i know. 

I sadly couldnt be much help

@LukeSavenije you probably have to call someone else in on this one. The only thing i can come up with is weak signal on the passive adapter. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I badly phrased my last quote. A passive adapter usually arent as reliable as a decent active one. 

I can personally only blame the adapter for this based om what i know. 

I sadly couldnt be much help

@LukeSavenije you probably have to call someone else in on this one. The only thing i can come up with is weak signal on the passive adapter. 

I haven't encountered some video problem right now, so I will be updating 2-3 days if it doesn't shows problem or sooner if the problem still persist.

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay... I'll call in @Princess Cadence

Bro, I did open nvidia control panel and one tab just pop out, It is the HDCP status, and it indicates that the HDCP is capable, also it shows that my connector is HDMI - HDTVimage.png.c765c2a1787cd6da777e6f48246edc2d.pngimage.png.703879b539085ba56a36664245d2acf7.png 

@LukeSavenije Bro, The problem still persist. It might be the port of the GPU or the GPU itself, I notice that the wire plug of the PSU is getting hotter and it even burn the outlet, I haven't tried re installing driver in this one.

3 minutes ago, Iamcheff said:

@LukeSavenije Bro, The problem still persist. It might be the port of the GPU or the GPU itself, I notice that the wire plug of the PSU is getting hotter and it even burn the outlet, I haven't tried re installing driver in this one.

I honnestly don't really know. troubleshooting isn't my best thing. I'll invite @Crunchy Dragon here to take over...

8 hours ago, Iamcheff said:

Are you able to try different video outputs or cables?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are you able to try different video outputs or cables?

I tried dvi d and dvi i, haven't tried HDMI yet. And for the cable. No, I can't because it is already in the monitor, I have 2 monitor , wasn't tried yet because I used it for my gaming, and the problem occurs every 3 days as i observe.

All I can do is to :

1. Connect to a vga of montherboard and set next boot to SAFE MODE
2. I tried my gt730 with vga on it and no problem at all.

I figure out that the converter getting hot, Is it just common or normal for the converter to get some heat?

7 hours ago, Iamcheff said:

I tried dvi d and dvi i, haven't tried HDMI yet. And for the cable. No, I can't because it is already in the monitor, I have 2 monitor , wasn't tried yet because I used it for my gaming, and the problem occurs every 3 days as i observe.

All I can do is to :

1. Connect to a vga of montherboard and set next boot to SAFE MODE
2. I tried my gt730 with vga on it and no problem at all.

I figure out that the converter getting hot, Is it just common or normal for the converter to get some heat?

If it's an active converter, then it should produce some heat.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!