Block websites using a file without editing hosts file

Go to solution Solved by Tsuki,

So the problem is usually, to block a ton amount of websites, I'd usually install HostsMan and then add StevenBlack hosts file as a source.

However, the problem is that HostsMan, well, edits the hosts file, which will be reloaded (I think) everytime the connection is lost, connected, etc. simply any event.

In my case, I got ~76'000 entries, and because of this, I'd usually wait like 5 minutes (every time) until I get a connection.

Does ANYBODY know of an application that could import the file from the GitHub repository and block the pages WITHOUT editing the hosts file?

Everything I can find online is about "editing the hosts file" ... nonsense.

Thanks for your help.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

Genious. I'll try it as soon as I can. Luckily I just bought a raspberry pi last week. However, I'm not sure if I understood the documentation right, but could I just edit the blacklist.txt mentioned here?

23 hours ago, D3strukt0r said:

Genious. I'll try it as soon as I can. Luckily I just bought a raspberry pi last week. However, I'm not sure if I understood the documentation right, but could I just edit the blacklist.txt mentioned here?

once its setup, you just log into the web portal, and you can update the blacklist through that.  its super easy.   you can just use normal domain lists like from https://firebog.net/ or https://easylist.to/  and add them through the web client.

its super intuitive and easy to setup.  when i was running it, i had about 13 separate lists added, blocking over 500,000 domains.

also, this blocks them across the entire network, not just your computer. just make sure to set the routers DNS to the ip of the raspberry pi

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.