System dead slow

Hypernyte
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,
4 hours ago, Hypernyte said:

can you please explain a little more.

I'm not getting it ?

Okay, a spinning Harddrive can have what's called a bad sector, which means a particular areas in the drive that are malfunctioning and loosing its read and write capabilities.

If you happens to have a file located within that sector, the file can be currupted and cannot be used, if that files happens to be important windows files, the OS will have some problems.

Bad sectors are one of many HDD problems, some others are dead motors, jammed head, dead pcb etc.

There are 2 types of bad sector, software and hardware, the software ones can be remedied, but hardware ones are often permanent.

Sudden slowness of the pc usually have something to do with HDD malfunction, but not always.

You can check weather the hdd has one by doing a surface test, since you have seagate hdd you can download the SeaTools here:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe

read the manuals here http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

You would like to perform basic test first, if there's no problem detected, continue to the next one untill the long test (no need to do advance test).

If no problems detected in your HDD you can perform the second test which is memory test.

Its pretty simple, i don't have to explain it, just download Memtest86.

https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip

This program needs to be run outside windows, so you need a USB drive.

Run imageUsb.exe and select the usb drive and click write, it will create the bootable usb drive for you.

Next is to boot to the usb, in BIOS select the usb as the 1st boot drive.

after boot, just select start test (or press S).

Now if those test are passed, you can point your finger to something else. ?

hey guys i have a new built pc with the following specs:-

intel i3 7100

gigabyte GA-H110M-S2

crusial 8gb ram

gtx 1050 ti asus (single fan)

seagate barracuda 1tb

corsair vs450 

my system was working perfectly fine for the past 5 months and all of a sudden i got a windows update and the next time i tried to boot it got stuck in my motherboard loading page, i let it run for for 3 hours and nothing happened .

I tried booting up several times but same result.

so i fresh installed windows 10 pro, it booted up but very slow,installed chrome and wifi driver but i wasn't able to install my gtx 1050ti drives directly or through geforce experience.

please help me.

thank you, sorry for bad english. 

The problem is you don't have an SSD, Windows 10 does not run well on HDDs.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I would reinstall or reset cmos 

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

You might have a bad sector on your harddrive, examine do a full (surface) test right away.

The problem may not be a windows update fault, but your hardware malfunctioning.

Check the memory stick (Memtest86) and the Harddrive.

If you can't access your PC, do it in others / borrow one.

19 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

The problem is you don't have an SSD, Windows 10 does not run well on HDDs.

This is a fallacy, Windows will run just fine with HDD, just a bit less responsive.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

23 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This is a fallacy, Windows will run just fine with HDD, just a bit less responsive.

Actually speaking from personal experience - a laptop with HDD not even half-way through it's life (tested). Switched it back to Windows 7.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Clone the HDD over to an SSD and see if the performance is still sluggish...If it is, you know it is a problem with the OS, if not you know its a problem with the HDD. 

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

7TB Array in Proxmox server

Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

20 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

You might have a bad sector on your harddrive, examine do a full (surface) test right away.

The problem may not be a windows update fault, but your hardware malfunctioning.

Check the memory stick (Memtest86) and the Harddrive.

If you can't access your PC, do it in others / borrow one.

I'm not getting it ?

20 hours ago, JohnDongus said:

I would reinstall or reset cmos 

reinstall what and thank u i will reset cmos

4 hours ago, Hypernyte said:

I'm not getting it ?

Okay, a spinning Harddrive can have what's called a bad sector, which means a particular areas in the drive that are malfunctioning and loosing its read and write capabilities.

If you happens to have a file located within that sector, the file can be currupted and cannot be used, if that files happens to be important windows files, the OS will have some problems.

Bad sectors are one of many HDD problems, some others are dead motors, jammed head, dead pcb etc.

There are 2 types of bad sector, software and hardware, the software ones can be remedied, but hardware ones are often permanent.

Sudden slowness of the pc usually have something to do with HDD malfunction, but not always.

You can check weather the hdd has one by doing a surface test, since you have seagate hdd you can download the SeaTools here:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe

You would like to perform basic test first, if there's no problem detected, continue to the next one untill the long test (no need to do advance test).

If no problems detected in your HDD you can perform the second test which is memory test.

Run imageUsb.exe and select the usb drive and click write, it will create the bootable usb drive for you.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thank you I will do all the tests☺️