Onkyo zone 2 setup

I own and route all my video and audio through an onkyo tx-nr646.  Great reciever for my 4k and surround gaming experience but still facing difficulties with some setup features.  In this case routing my xbox one x to play through zone2. 

Connection route.  Xbox 1x via hdmi2.2 into bd/dvd input, output hdmi2.2 to lg uj7700 4k tv. 

The reciever plays great through the main amplifier but my main speakers have to much bass for late night use and my zone 2 is connected to a pair of cerwin vegas d2s that sound great for my record player that is connected into the phono input.  But no sound will come out of zone 2 when on the db/dvd input.  

Is this a setup issue or is the avr not capable of outputting hdmi signal into the zone 2.

Oh i have tried the different xbox audio options and even telling the xbox to output in formats other than bitstream does not change this issue.

I believe you can only do analog inputs for audio for zone 2. I don't believe that it will accept a digital audio source to output (HDMI/Optical). You have to run an analog signal I believe.

Interesting.  That would be odd though since zone 2 is for other room listening primarily.  But electronics these days do odd things like that.

You get that feature in the higher end receivers, not the few hundred dollar jobs. That's why "has 2 zones" doesn't always mean "2 zones".