Requests & Questions for HP Spectre x360 (15inch)

On 4/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, rfdebeaumont said:

I did not have this issue, could this be the infamous coil whine?
The fans can produce quite some noise when heat builds up to the max but certainly no whistling.

Yeah I dont think its coil whine,  I actually sent back the first spectre 8750H for a replacement, and it produced the same noise... I tested this against my other laptop which is a pretty current laptop sporting 1070 gtx card, it also produced the same high pitched noise when the fans are spinning at the same speed as the spectre which is 3300 to 3600 rpm so I think it might be an issue with fan technology... oddly the spectre noise goes away at around 3500 rpm and its just loud air.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:10 AM, rfdebeaumont said:

Hi iechowulf,

Thanks for all the detailed info, really appreciate it! I have this machine myself and I´m also really pleased, it runs so well :)

I had a question, you mentioned you undervolted it: Can you please share what voltages you settled on?
Did you use Intel's extreme tuning utility? I did run into some thermal issues myself running CS:GO at the highest settings for an extended period so I'm considering doing this. (CPU in lower 90's C, GPU in mid 80's C, room teperature of around 17 C). I think the heat from the GPU might have gotten transferred over to the CPU hmm. Turning down some video settings and capping the FPS at 60 did significantly reduce the thermals.

I've never attempted an undervolt so any tips/link to guide would be really appreciated!
Also if anyone has question on this laptop feel free to ask.

Hey! I'm so sorry haha i saw your message but was a bit swamped with school work at the time. I have not tinked too hard with the undervolting, since its my first time and im pretty new to it all as well - I'm currently using ThrottleStop to undervolt and iv just had it set to a -125mv offset on core and cache. No issues and is 100% stable doing this. I've had it as low as -135mv but since I'm pretty new to this and wanted to not overdo it or run into any serious issues, i left it at -125mv. Im certain i could go lower, i honestly just did not want to go through the testing just to run into trouble at a moment when i really needed to get some work done. I will definitely play around with it some more, but i'll do that after my finals haha

Also, i used ThrottleStop solely because i found the most support and stuff in terms of personal help and answers to any questions. There are a few ways to undervolt but i have no idea what is the best. Just using this for now. Please share anything you come across as well, i will try to look into some other options and post any updates here and there. So far using this laptop since early January, i have pretty much no complaints. I've noticed during early morning/late night usage that the fans get a bit loud at times when im typing out an essay and they suddenly ramp up for no reason but they never stay on too long so that been really manageable (and i have headphones alot of the time). I am still looking for a skin or something (DBrand doesn't make them, tried to get them to but they said not enough people requested it, so if you guys want some please go message them on twitter and on their website support form) so that i can manage the scuffs and stuff. So far i'v noticed only a FEW like three or four tops, minor scuffs along the gold trim. Nothing on the top lid of the laptop though so im hoping to keep this looking as clean and pristine as possible haha

So far this laptop has been perfect, from media consumption to gaming to work to battery life to noise management. All been a dream. I've noticed that tablet mode and such is a bit cumbersome at times because of the size, i imagine the 13inch model doesn't have this issue - but that feature is a niche feature anyway and not SUPER important to me. Hardly use it, and only use it for media consumption really so fold it up into tent mode or something and enjoy some shows! as far as notes and such, typing has bene more than amazing with this awesome keyboard. Loving it! (Just need to get that darn DBrand to make skins for it!!!!!!)

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply! Actually by now I have done some research and succesfully undervolted it. In fact I've managed to get the voltages down to -140mv (cache and CPU), and -50,8 for the iGPU. It's running very stable (tested for 4 hours with a Prime95 torture test) so you could also try going as low as -140mv! :)
Of course, do make sure to stress test well for stability as each unit might react slightly different depending on the quality of the chip and thermal paste.
I've heard people get it even lower but I personally had a freeze at -141mv so I'll leave it at -140 mv guess, good enhough.

I've also undervolted the GPU using MSI afterburner, running 1721MHz @ 875 mV. Could be pushed even further perhaps.
If you don't know how to do this, there are good guides on youtube. just search for 1050 ti Max-Q undervolt MSI afterburner.
If you get better results please share!

I have a question for you, did you fiddle with the Speedshift settings (EEP) in throttlestop? Or with the Turbo Boost settings? I'm asking because sometimes the laptop still gets a bit hot when gaming. :(  How are temperatures for you during gaming? Sometimes I still get a spike to 90* Celsius but I think that's just due to a temporary boost when a lot is happening on screen.

Not sure what you mean by a skin, a sleeve to carry the laptop in? I'm using the one that came with the model, does a fine job. Everything still looking fresh :D

Tablet mode is a bit of clunky yes but I use it to draw sometimes, tent mode super for media yes!

Best, Roger

On 4/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, snoops3d said:

Yeah I dont think its coil whine,  I actually sent back the first spectre 8750H for a replacement, and it produced the same noise... I tested this against my other laptop which is a pretty current laptop sporting 1070 gtx card, it also produced the same high pitched noise when the fans are spinning at the same speed as the spectre which is 3300 to 3600 rpm so I think it might be an issue with fan technology... oddly the spectre noise goes away at around 3500 rpm and its just loud air.

Hmm it could be just a feature of the fan design itself yes. Perhaps I'm also having the same pitched-like noise without really noticing since I have no second laptop to benchmark this. In any case the current noise when the fans ramps up to the max is not bothering too much since this only happens while gaming during which I wear a headset. Is the noise only present when stressing the CPU or most of the time? I can tell you my Spectre runs dead quiet for 90% of tasks (except gaming).

Best, Roger