Kubuntu Task Manager Customization Question

Hello, so I like the Icons-only task manager in Kubuntu. But is there a way to get a dropdown box/list of multiple windows like in the regular task manager?

I want to have it so that if I click an icon it shows this 1286134679_TaskManagerList.png.ea4ac1861b7f906f4173d87b7dae213e.png.

i'm not too familiar with KDE but i believe you can set that somewhere in the options for the icons-only task manager. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm not too familiar with KDE but i believe you can set that somewhere in the options for the icons-only task manager. 

I've been looking, but I can't seem to find anything that'll let me do it.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

does right-clicking the icon in the task manager do it? 

Nope, there's no setting in there that allows me to change it or at least one that I can find.

Just now, Waffles! said:

Nope, there's no setting in there that allows me to change it or at least one that I can find.

fron a google search:

go to system settings

desktop effects

make sure taskbar thumbnails is on

i'm not sure if that will work. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

fron a google search:

go to system settings

desktop effects

make sure taskbar thumbnails is on

i'm not sure if that will work. 

Welp, I don't have that option.

What version of KDE? A lot of the guides on the internet are outdated. Many settings are in different places in the newer version or simply do not exist or supplanted by something else

Sudo make me a sandwich 

12 hours ago, wasab said:

What version of KDE? A lot of the guides on the internet are outdated. Many settings are in different places in the newer version or simply do not exist or supplanted by something else

The latest version, and I still can't find a way to get it to work. The only way I've been able to get it to work is if I have too many tabs open then it turns into a list. Perhaps there's a setting that sets the max amount of windows to display before turning into tabs?

2 hours ago, Waffles! said:

The latest version, and I still can't find a way to get it to work.

That's not very helpful, as "latest version" can practically mean anything, and be different on different distros, distribution version, what branch you are on, PPAs etc...

There is a "system information" program which will tell your version numbers (such as: Plasma 5.14.5, KDE Frameworks 5.54.0, Qt 5.12.0, Kernel version).

Anyways, I think what you are talking about are different task manager plasmoids (or something - my KDE is not in english). These can be put in any panel, or on the desktop. They have their own separate settings (I believe system settings will have no effect).

There's the one that is called just "task manager", one "with icons" and then "window list" (or something - again my Plasma is in finnish so I'm guessing what they are in english). The last one seems to be a different kind of alternative, while the first two are functionally almost the same thing. But the latter one seems to be missing options from it's settings to group things, instead groups always, and pops up all the matching windows to the screen and you need to choose then the one you want. They could consolidate these two plasmoids by just having a "show as icons only" in the first one, since they are in many regards almost the same and have overlapping functionality.

(screenshots would be useful to illustrate the problem, but I won't bother since it doesn't bother me ?  )

Why they decided to do this - there could be several reasons, historical or codewise... I think best bet to get this implemented would be to go to KDE Plasma forums and/or their bugzilla and make a feature request. Could take a year, two or more before (if ever) it gets implemented ?  .

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

The only thing I could say is just to try the setting of that specific applet by right clicking it, if it isn't there apparently is not possible.

If you want it to be added in the future, you could add a feature request to the kde bug reporting

btw I've noticed that you can over on the icon and then a "windows-like" window preview appears, if it isn't enough there is no solution to this

On 2/1/2019 at 5:24 AM, Wild Penquin said:

That's not very helpful, as "latest version" can practically mean anything, and be different on different distros, distribution version, what branch you are on, PPAs etc...

There is a "system information" program which will tell your version numbers (such as: Plasma 5.14.5, KDE Frameworks 5.54.0, Qt 5.12.0, Kernel version).

Anyways, I think what you are talking about are different task manager plasmoids (or something - my KDE is not in english). These can be put in any panel, or on the desktop. They have their own separate settings (I believe system settings will have no effect).

There's the one that is called just "task manager", one "with icons" and then "window list" (or something - again my Plasma is in finnish so I'm guessing what they are in english). The last one seems to be a different kind of alternative, while the first two are functionally almost the same thing. But the latter one seems to be missing options from it's settings to group things, instead groups always, and pops up all the matching windows to the screen and you need to choose then the one you want. They could consolidate these two plasmoids by just having a "show as icons only" in the first one, since they are in many regards almost the same and have overlapping functionality.

(screenshots would be useful to illustrate the problem, but I won't bother since it doesn't bother me ?  )

Why they decided to do this - there could be several reasons, historical or codewise... I think best bet to get this implemented would be to go to KDE Plasma forums and/or their bugzilla and make a feature request. Could take a year, two or more before (if ever) it gets implemented ?  .

On 2/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, Lukyp said:

The only thing I could say is just to try the setting of that specific applet by right clicking it, if it isn't there apparently is not possible.

If you want it to be added in the future, you could add a feature request to the kde bug reporting

btw I've noticed that you can over on the icon and then a "windows-like" window preview appears, if it isn't enough there is no solution to this

Welp, yeah it's either one or the other, there's no option to change it. Thanks anyways for all the help. :D