D.I.Y Audio Switching?

Divide_By_0

Let me just start with a bit of background. I have two computer monitors, both of which use HDMI input (but dont accept HDMIaudio, only HDMI video), a Desktop PC over HDMI with speakers hooked up to it as well as a PS4 with Optical to Analog (DAC) to make it into a 3.5mm jack style connector, with an analog signal, but now ive got two analog signals passing onto the same line, and if you include my laptop, thats 3 devices all using dummy adapters to hook to my speakers

One, I'm sure this situation isnt good for the devices not in use, as the audio must backfeed? It causes volume issues, etc. 

Is there a type of switch that can Control two (or preferably 3) pairs of connections being connected to one pair (the main 3.5mm jack going to the speakers) with a throw so I can only ever have one audio device hooked to my speakers? I know this will be something I need to D.I.Y to make it the way I want it, but I can figure that, does anyone know of a switch capable of handling this type of workload? thanks for any help.

Clarification and TL;DR : I need a switch that will let me control 3 pairs of signals incoming to one pair of outgoing signal pins for Analog audio.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

2 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

There a 2:1 audio switch available. You get two in tandem to create a 3-input switch.

For the HDMI audio, you can use the HDMI audio splitter.

Something like that 2:1 Switch, but less pre-made. I want to make something D.I.Y, looking for a switch that can handle switching the 3x2/1x2 connections.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

Exactly. 

19 minutes ago, Divide_By_0 said:

Something like that 2:1 Switch, but less pre-made. I want to make something D.I.Y, looking for a switch that can handle switching the 3x2/1x2 connections.

What about this? 

Plastic Knob 3P3T 3 Pole 3 Throw Band Channel Rotary Switch Selector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUYRRNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_b2KsCbC0M2H5Y

Put that in a case with some 3.5mm jacks. As DIY as you want. 

I put that together last year, it uses a 3 pole double throw switch. i've been looking around, i can't find a toggle switch that can switch 3 inputs but i think i found a slide switch that fits the bill

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CW-Industries/G-368S-0000?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtFyPk3yBMYYIgfgRf3xi8MHqLKn9mwn2c=

or if you want toggles you could use 2 of the ones i used. input one and 2 goes into the first switch then the output and input 3 goes into the second

3 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

I put that together last year, it uses a 3 pole double throw switch. i've been looking around, i can't find a toggle switch that can switch 3 inputs but i think i found a slide switch that fits the bill

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CW-Industries/G-368S-0000?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtFyPk3yBMYYIgfgRf3xi8MHqLKn9mwn2c=

or if you want toggles you could use 2 of the ones i used. input one and 2 goes into the first switch then the output and input 3 goes into the second

This looks a lot like what I need, does this switch switch all 3 pairs of contacts to the same one pair? or is it just a metal slide connecting the nearest two pin pairs?

Just now, SuperCloneRanger said:

I didn't even think about a rotary switch, that looks like a great option. Like @r4tch3t said, just add some jacks and a project box.

I just though a rotary one would look cooler than a slide or bat switch. 

The rotary looks cooler, but I'm looking for simplicity of wiring here, and that Rotary one gives me a headache with its pin-layout. The slide switch is small and  seems very simple, only problem is I would need to bind the grounds together...

2 minutes ago, Divide_By_0 said:

The rotary looks cooler, but I'm looking for simplicity of wiring here, and that Rotary one gives me a headache with its pin-layout. The slide switch is small and  seems very simple, only problem is I would need to bind the grounds together...

Why would you need to bind the ground connections?

Both the rotary and slide are 3p3t switches. So they can switch the common (speaker) ground, left and right to each inputs ground, left and right.

16 minutes ago, Divide_By_0 said:

This looks a lot like what I need, does this switch switch all 3 pairs of contacts to the same one pair? or is it just a metal slide connecting the nearest two pin pairs?

honestly without testing one i couldn't say, the data sheet doesn't say anything. But if its on-on-on i would assume they use the same output. Its not an expensive switch, half the fun of diy is figuring stuff out.

12 minutes ago, Divide_By_0 said:

I would need to bind the grounds together...

3.5mm jacks already have L and R go to a common ground

EDIT: And 3P means the switch will switch L,R & G at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out a really simple solution to my problem! The answer turned out to be "a bunch of diodes"

Will be building a switching device later down the line but now that ive got a functioning temp solution i can take the month to actually design a full time solution, likely using an IC and some logic.