Building a new gaming PC

Redbloux

Hello to everyone,

I am posting the build i am interested in:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€311.17 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€124.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€184.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€122.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€122.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€122.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€58.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (€521.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€79.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€104.90 @ Caseking) 
Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (€576.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (€554.99 @ Alternate) 
Total: €2885.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 23:17 CET+0100

Budget and Location: 

My budget is around 2000-2300€, I would prefer to be as close to 2000€ as possible. I am from Greece, Europe basically which is a bit hard to find decent deals for middle to high-end game rigs.

The budget is almost the same in my country.

Aim: 

I am concerned with the graphics card and I am thinking a gtx1070/1070ti/2070. Choosing a gtx1070(475€) would be the best for my budget since its 175€ cheaper than the gtx1070ti and rtx2070 which are in the range of 650€.

I like to play simulator games and in particular combat flight simulators. I want to start DCS World and maybe for fun to try War Thunder. Also, I want to see how good Falcon 4.0 will look and basically all of this kind of genre.

I am a software developer and I will use Linux on a separate SSD, I don't care about it since I can work with the existing one. The one I have is barely managing and that is why I will not share my previous build.

Also, in the same pc, I want my nephew to be able to play the best games right now like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Anthem in relative good fps and resolution.

Monitors: 

Please bear in mind that I will choose one display for now and later I will buy another one. I have right now a very old Philips 17' with 1336x768 resolution.

Peripherals: 

I am searching for a keyboard, mouse, and headset. Each one to cost at most 50€ each. I don't have anything in particular about it. Those will be outside the existing budget. To me, those are the least important.

Why are you upgrading?:

It's been like 7-8 years since my last build. I have been saving for 2 years to get something middle to high-end range pc, my next build will be in 5 or more years or when the gaming experience is unbearable because of my rig.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated, it has been so long since I have to choose a gaming rig for myself.

The points I want your advice are especially for the graphics card and the monitor I will choose. The rest seems to be pretty decent.

If I made any mistakes and the reasons behind those and any suggestions that you may have. Also, if I should choose a cheaper motherboard to save money but with good quality.

I want to thank in advance to anyone that will reply.

Ok, a few things I have thought of so far:

• If you want to be able to game at 1440p 144hz, then go for the 2070. The 1070 is not quite powerful enough for that, and if the price is similar there's no reason to grab a 1070Ti over the 2070
  • Do you need to go for AiO cooling? Because if not, you could swap that for a Bequiet Dark Rock 4 (60€ at amazon.de) or it's Pro version (73€ amazon.de) and get similar performance while saving a few bucks.
  • What kind of workloads are going to put the computer through? Because you could save some extra money by going with a Ryzen 7 2700, overclock it to basically get 2700x-like performance and get 2 extra cores with their 4 threads that could help in heavily multitasking tasks.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:43 AM, hypeftwmlg said:

Is your currency euro like in espana

Yes, its the same.

23 hours ago, Rauten said:

Ok, a few things IIf you want to be able to game at 1440p 144hz, then go for the 2070. The 1070 is not quite powerful enough for that, and if the price is similar there's no reason to grab a 1070Ti over the 2070

• Do you need to go for AiO cooling? Because if not, you could swap that for a Bequiet Dark Rock 4 (60€ at amazon.de) or it's Pro version (73€ amazon.de) and get similar performance while saving a few bucks.
  • What kind of workloads are going to put the computer through? Because you could save some extra money by going with a Ryzen 7 2700, overclock it to basically get 2700x-like performance and get 2 extra cores with their 4 threads that could help in heavily multitasking tasks.
  • I will do, getting 2070 sounds reasonable putting it like that.
  • I don't really need it and I am not going to OC anything. For long term purposes, AiO cooling is not the best idea I suppose.
  • I prefer Intel chips because in the past I had huge problems with old AMD CPU and IntelliJ.

Thanks for replaying, you helped a lot.

21 minutes ago, hypeftwmlg said:

That power supply is junk. Why would you spend over 2000 Euros and then put something like that in your system ?

A Gigabyte board would be better on the Z390 chipset.

A RTX 2080 is probably going to be cheaper than a 1080 ti.

23 hours ago, lee32uk said:

That power supply is junk. Why would you spend over 2000 Euros and then put something like that in your system ?

A Gigabyte board would be better on the Z390 chipset.

A RTX 2080 is probably going to be cheaper than a 1080 ti.

For the power supply I never thought to change, if anyone got recommendations for a better one, then maybe I will do.

I always used Asus motherboards, I had a bad experience with a Gigabyte one in the past. I will look it up if Gigabyte is better on Z390 chipset.

Here in Greece, it is difficult to find any 1080 or 1080 Ti. Is it a good idea to go for the new RTX 20x0 or stay on the old and trusted GTX 10x0?

26 minutes ago, Redbloux said:

For the power supply I never thought to change, if anyone got recommendations for a better one, then maybe I will do.

I always used Asus motherboards, I had a bad experience with a Gigabyte one in the past. I will look it up if Gigabyte is better on Z390 chipset.

Here in Greece, it is difficult to find any 1080 or 1080 Ti. Is it a good idea to go for the new RTX 20x0 or stay on the old and trusted GTX 10x0?

The Corsair power supply in your build is fine. It is only that Xilence one that is poor.

You will be fine with that Asus board for the 8700K, but Gigabyte do have better VRM's than Asus at the same price point. Unless you are planning on getting the 9900K in the future then not really an issue.

Depends on what the price is on the gpu and if you are bothered about Ray Tracing etc. If you can get a good deal on a 10 series then they are still worth it.  

Thanks for all the replies.

I found the 9700k just 10euros more of the 8700k, is it worth to go for it?

Also, I wanted to change CPU cooler to Noctua NH-U12S, Will I have any problems with 8700k or 9700k temperature wise?

I found a better-suited monitor to my taste. Dell U2719D UltraSharp 27" QHD WLED IPS InfinityEdge.

I am between  RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 with the cost at 430euro and 589euro respectively. What you all suggest to choose, my main concern will be value for money.

Also, I have a lot of external hard drive, Intel Optane will help with loading times on games etc?

I am posting the new pcpartpicker list.