Gas Co2 question

Has any one attempted to use a Co2 spray system on a radiator to magnify its cooling capacity? I am wanting to try something like this.

http://designengineering.com/intercooler-sprayers/

On a 240 rad with dual fans. I'm thinking short bursts to drop the coolant temp enough to be close to ambient on a hot system.

That's used with liquid CO2 , so I'm not sure how you're going to sustainably use  that.

Even if it used gas CO2 , You'd need to source it from somewhere (In a similar way to how LN isn't used for cooling often because it's not sustainable).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I am not intending it for constant use. Maybe just when running a benchmark. Have a ryzen 2700 and a vega 64 that I would like to cool on a 240 rad. So it's a bit much when full throttle but in gaming it should hold up without Co2?

23 hours ago, orkid1989 said:

Has any one attempted to use a Co2 spray system on a radiator to magnify its cooling capacity? I am wanting to try something like this.

http://designengineering.com/intercooler-sprayers/

On a 240 rad with dual fans. I'm thinking short bursts to drop the coolant temp enough to be close to ambient on a hot system.

When these are installed on cars they're meant for air to air only uses not air to water. Water holds ALOT of heat energy, so short bursts wouldn't help much .. maybe even no change at all for a meaningful amount of time. Just like the car guys, you'd want to drop an air/liquid coolers in an ice bath.

If you're only doing it for bench marking purposes just buy a block of frozen CO2 (dry ice) and place it infront of your intake, inside one of those cheap throw away foam coolers. It'd be cheaper and easier to accomplish.

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

20 hours ago, GeoSquigg said:

When these are installed on cars they're meant for air to air only uses not air to water. Water holds ALOT of heat energy, so short bursts wouldn't help much .. maybe even no change at all for a meaningful amount of time. Just like the car guys, you'd want to drop an air/liquid coolers in an ice bath.

If you're only doing it for bench marking purposes just buy a block of frozen CO2 (dry ice) and place it infront of your intake, inside one of those cheap throw away foam coolers. It'd be cheaper and easier to accomplish.

Would it be better for dry ice in a alcohol bath drawing through the intake? That does sound easier to make.

In theory, yes

In practice, inferior compared to the alternatives.

You could save a lot of money and just use a CO2 fire extinguisher if you're only going to test your idea in during an occasional benchmark. 

FYI, You're going to probably ruin your computer with condensation if you're using anything to cool parts below ambient without a well engineered system.

I thought it would only build condensation if dropped below dew point? And I doubt with the super small form factor I would even reach below ambient. 

The build would be in something similar to the louqe ghost case. Radiator at the bottom with fans blowing air up through the case. And a easily removable dry ice container below the radiator. So it will not contact the radiator but the cold air that is generated will be pulled through the radiator to hopefully increase the cooling efficiency.

Yes, using CO2 to cool a radiator is possible. Yes, it is also the most roundabout ridiculous way to get near ambient temps ever, and may be mildly insane.

Just buy a chiller. Or a big radiator.

100% RGB FREE

1 hour ago, caliusoptimus said:

Yes, using CO2 to cool a radiator is possible. Yes, it is also the most roundabout ridiculous way to get near ambient temps ever, and may be mildly insane.

Just buy a chiller. Or a big radiator.

That's a great idea if it would manage to fit inside a small form factor build which is part of the challenge. Anyone and everyone has done exotic cooling on a full size atx tower. Not so many have tried with a case that is and under 10L.

3 hours ago, orkid1989 said:

That's a great idea if it would manage to fit inside a small form factor build which is part of the challenge. Anyone and everyone has done exotic cooling on a full size atx tower. Not so many have tried with a case that is and under 10L.

I get the feeling that you are one of those guys that starts with big ideas... then never lifts a finger.

If you really want to do this... learn how to calculate how much CO2 is needed to satisfy your cooling needs. Once you've done that I can help you make it a reality.

100% RGB FREE

2 hours ago, caliusoptimus said:

I get the feeling that you are one of those guys that starts with big ideas... then never lifts a finger.

If you really want to do this... learn how to calculate how much CO2 is needed to satisfy your cooling needs. Once you've done that I can help you make it a reality.

More the type that doesnt like to follow the crowd like lemmings. Would rather try something new and creative and have fun learning doing it.

I've used solid CO2 (dry ice) for overclocking, and it worked well. I don't think using pressured liquid CO2 discharged into the air is a good idea, it's how dry ice is made. You could use a phase change system to chill water in a custom loop, but that's not a good idea for daily, never go sub ambient for daily. If you could use hardware control to keep it above the dew point it's be Ok.

Yours faithfully

11 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I've used solid CO2 (dry ice) for overclocking, and it worked well. I don't think using pressured liquid CO2 discharged into the air is a good idea, it's how dry ice is made. You could use a phase change system to chill water in a custom loop, but that's not a good idea for daily, never go sub ambient for daily. If you could use hardware control to keep it above the dew point it's be Ok.

I like the phase change idea but my fear is it might actually work too well and cool the system to the point where it will start to condensate. Could I limit the flow through the phase change system to regulate the temp? Maybe a few gate valves? Not sure if they make mixing valves that small.

17 hours ago, orkid1989 said:

I like the phase change idea but my fear is it might actually work too well and cool the system to the point where it will start to condensate. Could I limit the flow through the phase change system to regulate the temp? Maybe a few gate valves? Not sure if they make mixing valves that small.

Slowing down the flow would make it colder, you don't need to run the phase unit 100% of the time, or you could pick a compressor size and refrigerant that won't hit below the dew point. some minor insulation would still be advised on the metal block and board, but it wouldn't need to be super tight. A few disposable chemical dehumidifiers would be fine in the room if your humidity is over 60 usually,

edit; forgot to answer question on bypass valve: Yes a bypass valve that only lets some of the water into the heat exchanger would also act as a control system, it would be the easiest to impliment probably as there are already temperature controlled variable valve controllers commercially available. There are also purely mechanical ones you can buy too, but LCD's are cool so your choice.

Yours faithfully