whapsapp picture compression really sucks!

I just screen captured a shopping list on my phone and shared through whatsapp...

Original resolution : 1080 x 16993

compress res: 101 x 1600

..............not a single word readable.....got to send through docs.....

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

why not multiple photos ._.

well, the scroll capture is really handy and doesnt split to several files when browsing in folder / gallery , the receiver wouldnt to happy to be spammed by multiple files  

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

whatsapp downscales images that are very large or long because they don't want to deal with the filesize

I knew this for a long time, just no reference anywhere for compression rate....seem like 1600 is max height....

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

101 pixels in width ._.

my 13inch display is only 768 pixels tall.......,...

now downsize that, as in divide it by 7,68

remember 144*144 pictures are fully readable

I know Facebook will do this, even if you select the option to upload stuff in HD. Idk about WhatsApp, but I know Facebook does not store images and videos on their own servers. Maybe there's an option in WhatsApp to upload in HD, or upload in HD over cellular networks. Otherwise, this is typical of those services.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

possibly not in chinese? (assuming OP's nationality has anything to do with the list)

Yes. I think chinese lettering might be a hinderance. Latin lettering is usually easier to read even of it has been lowered in rez

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

okay i take back what i said ._. unless the photo was taken from some sort of proper writing scale, in which i guess it depends

I mean if it is handwritten and really small characters it can be hard to read. 

But this isnt 40 pixels wide. Its 101 pixels wide and people watch video in 144p. 

It's because of the image ratio. It tried to get down the longest side to 1600 pixels and when it did that, it caused the tiny side to shrink out of existence.