New PC build not recognising USB SSD on USB 3 ports...

BigWillySteelo

I have just built a new PC with an MSI Mortar Titanium B450M motherboard and everything works perfectly except when I plug my ORICO 2.5" Inch USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Enclosure with a Samsung SATA 6.0 Gbps drive into the USB 3 ports either on the motherboard IO or the ones at the front of my Fractal Meshify case the drivce is not recognised and doesn't appear in disk manager. It does work fine when I plug it into the USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard IO...

There is one later version of the motherboard BIOS flash available but I'm nervous to update it in case it goes wrong. There is alkso a later version of the MSI RAID driver available but I don't this this is relevant to me and it says it might affect my M.2 system drive if I install it..

I'd really appreciate any help or advice I can get on this?

Its more than likely a setting that's incorrect in BIOS tbh, go through all USB based settings and check anything pertaining the USB 3 is enabled, also xHCI Hand Off should be enabled for Windows.

BTW upgrading your BIOS/UEFI is not that big of a deal, just make sure you only ever do it through the UEFI itself and never allow a Windows based tool to do it for you. Most modern UEFIs now support reading NTFS hard drives so you can simply download the UEFI file, extract it to your HDD, reboot to UEFI, enter  flash mode, select the drive, select the file and it will flash. Boards are clever enough to not flash the wrong file and most boards these days have either dual BIOS support or a recovery mode/USB Flashback.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thanks very much for your reply, I have checked in the BIOS and both xHCI Hand Off and legacy support were already enabled under USB settings so it must be something else...

I cant seem to find where in windows 10 I can check to enable xHCI Hand Off, I have also just flashed the new BIOS but the problem remains. I hear the sound in windows that indicatedls a disk has been inserted but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

Strangely when i unplug it it looks like the drives file explorer window briefly appears om the screen then immediately disappears...

9 minutes ago, BigWillySteelo said:

I cant seem to find where in windows 10 I can check to enable xHCI Hand Off, I have also just flashed the new BIOS but the problem remains. I hear the sound in windows that indicatedls a disk has been inserted but it doesn't appear in My Computer.

Strangely when i unplug it it looks like the drives file explorer window briefly appears om the screen then immediately disappears...

When it's connected have you tried opening disk management to see if it shows up?

Btw if it asks you to initialise the drive please don't, that will erase everything on it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I have been researching and it could be that I am experiencing a widespread issue that first started with Windows Creator's Update 1703 where USB 3 fails to recognise or maintain a connection to older devices...

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this?

When I try to open disk management with it plugged in to USB 3 it wont launch, I think it just hangs.

Disk manager opens fine and the disk appears as normal when plugged into USB 2...

I should point out I have formatted the disk to NTFS so it's a blank drive, there's no data I can lose on it.

I'm starting to think it may be an issue with either the drive or the enclosure as other USB 2.0 devices are working...

I have tried another HD drive in the same enclosure and it works perfectly so it must be the SSD... I'm not sure why it would work with USB 2.0 and not 3.0 though..seems like a strange fault...

I think I have somehow deleted the small partition on the SSD that controls it, is there anyway to recover it?