Office NAS's

Looking for a NAS or NAS like solution to store company data on and use a data point for my company software, which I used Access to create. Nothing to crazy just looking to have multiple users access the data on my access program and allow them all to make changes to the data as needed. 

how DIY are you willing to go?

if you want an off the shelf solution i guess synology's business oriented devices will do allright, just be sure to keep backups somewhere else too.

if you're willing to do some stuff.. options are pretty wide

- go all out and get a company server with additional storage for the application, and use it as a domain controller as well, etc.

- DIY a nas fit for your exact needs, or made to fit eventual growth.

DIY Solutions for the workplace are not ideal unless you are willing to support this box. QNAP or Synology offer business class NAS devices that will meet your needs. While neither are intended for the enterprise level, the QNAP's I find are pretty solid. We have some in our fleet that are over 6 years old and still running no problem. 

Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly it’s been a pain hotswaping drives for tax session. Moving it all to an external after being done required to keep all this crap on file for nearly six years is so crazy

4 hours ago, FitnessOgre said:

DIY Solutions for the workplace are not ideal unless you are willing to support this box. QNAP or Synology offer business class NAS devices that will meet your needs. While neither are intended for the enterprise level, the QNAP's I find are pretty solid. We have some in our fleet that are over 6 years old and still running no problem. 

depends what level of crazy your company is. i've seen synology's top end model crippled by read/write access over the network..

also, if you go with for example a windows server, the same box can also perform other tasks besides just storage.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

depends what level of crazy your company is. i've seen synology's top end model crippled by read/write access over the network..

also, if you go with for example a windows server, the same box can also perform other tasks besides just storage.

Nothing to crazy mostly just tax stuff and a customer data base. Which I want all of my new sale reps to be able to access our Access Database at the same time currently inputting a lot of data post customer intake which is keeping me from answer calls myself. Hoping this solution can increase my productivity 

4 hours ago, FitnessOgre said:

DIY Solutions for the workplace are not ideal

yeah you never know how dumb the users are, a real PITA if you ask me, did a similar job for a company and the users there managed to destroy the NAS OS in less than a week by installing a ton of autorun programs, I was asked to install Windows Server 2016 on it though.

I was given $5000 to get the hardware because it was meant to be an storage server for a whole building, 4 CPUs and 64TB of storage... poor IT guys I pity them since they have to deal with the same brainlets every fucking day.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB