Planned game server/plex server

GrimmCanRage

Hi all I'm planning on running a spare pc as a game server , plex and poss nas now my trouble is how to go about it as I have zero experience with Linux.

Now plan one (easiest for me due to windows knowledge) is just install windows on it as some game dedi servers (ark server manager for example) are only windows and plex is fine on windows and forget about a nas.

Plan 2 is to install Linux and use wine for windows only dedicated servers and Linux for everything else. I'm just not sure how well wine would run them or how I'd set them up from within wine.

Plan 3 run 2 (or3) virtual machines on same pc. 1 linux for linux able servers and possibly plex (or seperate vm just for plex), 1 windows 10 for everything else. I'm just not sure if I could do the splitting cpu ect with my amd phenom (not sure exact model thou its am3 and 8 core) as I think you need a virtualisation capable cpu and not sure this one is.

At the moment windows is easiest thou I do know that the linux route is best for a server.

Was hoping one of you server gods on here could advise me as to if wine is good enough for running servers (ie ark server manager) through it or if its possible for me to do plan 3 and have 2 seperate vms on same pc.

Thanks for any help or advice .. most appreciated.

linux would be a lot easier. i would reccomend ubuntu, and you can install the Pterodactyl panel on there for a web interface. ark is fully compatible with linux and the pterodactyl panel, so no worries. the panel is free, and you could just have the pc under your bed with no monitor needed, just a couple port forwards and it's all online

if you have zero knowledge about linux.. just put windows on it, run all the things on windows, and stick an extra storage drive in it and map it as a network share.

Just now, Uberdude said:

linux would be a lot easier. i would reccomend ubuntu, and you can install the Pterodactyl panel

linux being easy has the prerequisite of OP knowing his way around linux.. we have a linux box at the office for clonezilla.. i seem to be the only person at the office who knows how to type the word that's written on the front of the box ("clonezilla") into a linux terminal and follow instructions laid out on the screen.

all the linux things have step by step walkthroughs, so its not that bad. all he has to do is copy paste commands.

7 minutes ago, Uberdude said:

all the linux things have step by step walkthroughs, so its not that bad. all he has to do is copy paste commands.

which i can almost guarantee will not work if you have no idea what you're doing.

oh, and try to keep that thing up to date having absolutely no idea how it works.. and fix issues that obviously arise after you've tried to do so.

if op is competent enough to run some game servers, i think he's able to learn a few commands, especially with the amount of information around.

1 minute ago, Uberdude said:

if op is competent enough to run some game servers, i think he's able to learn a few commands, especially with the amount of information around.

or.. he could just use windows, and skip having to learn an entirely new operating system because someone else told him it was "better".

i have a linux server, i'm very happy with it.. i dont recommend complete linux newbies to attempt the same..

worked for me when i got my first linux server. its been a month and now i can docker like a pro. its worth it for the ram saving, and efficiency. learning is good, anyway.