[US - Amazon Warehouse - Used Like New] NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router - 20% from amazon warehouse - so essentially $50

FIXXX

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00R2AZLD2/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

This awesome router sells for much more than this - so grab one, I ordered.

Good to have a backup. 

image.png.d96d04b01a70df12dd1b6afaaa7243c2.png

image.png.f611bbd56e747ca2feb7ea961e23b6fd.png

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

What are the benefits of this over the standard router that was given to me by my provider? (Legit question btw)

I am getting my advertised speeds of 200mb/s, 1gig supported, I have a cat7 ethernet so there won't be a choke, I have both 2.4 and 5ghz available as options. 

Is there any reason to still get this one and spend the 50 bucks for it? Or is it kind of just to have a spare as you stated? 

Then again a $50 price tag on an item that is usually $150-$200 is pretty hard to pass on. 

@FIXXX @Zando Bob

22 minutes ago, DVA said:

What are the benefits of this over the standard router that was given to me by my provider? (Legit question btw)

I am getting my advertised speeds of 200mb/s, 1gig supported, I have a cat7 ethernet so there won't be a choke, I have both 2.4 and 5ghz available as options. 

Is there any reason to still get this one and spend the 50 bucks for it? Or is it kind of just to have a spare as you stated? 

Then again a $50 price tag on an item that is usually $150-$200 is pretty hard to pass on. 

@FIXXX @Zando Bob

First, you can fool around with your router however you wish.

It has a USB 3.0 port, in which you can plug an external HDD which can then be accessed by any device, however you set it up. 

That same drive can then be used as a backup location which is not directly connected to your computers.

The second router can be used as a network extender, of which the good dedicated ones rarely cost very cheap.

Depending how popular the router was/is - there may be open source operating systems which generally have more settings available to you than even than the one given by the device maker.

There are other benefits i'm sure, just jotted down off the top of my head.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

38 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

First, you can fool around with your router however you wish.

It has a USB 3.0 port, in which you can plug an external HDD which can then be accessed by any device, however you set it up. 

That same drive can then be used as a backup location which is not directly connected to your computers.

The second router can be used as a network extender, of which the good dedicated ones rarely cost very cheap.

Depending how popular the router was/is - there may be open source operating systems which generally have more settings available to you than even than the one given by the device maker.

There are other benefits i'm sure, just jotted down off the top of my head.

Also apparently if it's the older model (there's the OG one and a V2, basically no difference on the box but the V2 has lower specs) not the V2, you can also flash custom software on it do even moar. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch