First Build, Please Help

BSula99

Hey all,

So I have secured all the parts for my new build minus the GPU. I have one question left on it. For setting up airflow, I have the stock fans which came with the case, and also the 360mm rad of course. Should I replace them with better fans, augment the remaining spots with additional fans, and how should I set up the fan/rad config? Thanks all.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GR87Ft
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GR87Ft/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $399.99)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $159.99)
Motherboard: MSI - MEG Z390 ACE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $274.40)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (Purchased For $239.99)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $247.99)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($809.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $212.99)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $89.99)
Monitor: Alienware - AW2518H 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $549.99)
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $139.99)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $49.97)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud Alpha  Headset  (Purchased For $74.99)
Total: $3250.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-15 13:08 EST-0500

the fans that come with the case and the rad are fine.

mount the rad up top.

move the rear fan to to the front

3 intake

3exhuast through the rad in push config

That monitor ? You could have gotten a 27" 1440p/165Hz G-Sync for less.

5 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That monitor ? You could have gotten a 27" 1440p/165Hz G-Sync for less.

True. But after looking at a number of threads on many different forums, I realized a few things that inclined me to making this choice. First, I couldn't get a VA panel, despite my desire to for the excellent contrast, due to the fact the ghosting would drive me insane. Second, IPS was not an option as it delayed response time, is most beneficial for wide viewing angles (unnecessary for gaming, where viewing is head on), BLB/glow is still luck of the draw with draw, and honestly wasn't a super important selling point to me. Any ultra wide display was out of the question, despite my love for them, due to being overpriced or unavailable in my location.

For the TN panel itself, there were a few key factors I was considering. First, I am limited on desk space so 24.5" vs 27" was an acceptable deviation. Second, the obvious strong suit of a TN panel is FPS gaming, which between 9700k and super high refresh rate, should be maximally taken advantage of. Third, a 2080 would be able to drive a 1080p display for quite some time at optimal settings and frame-rates, so I should not have to upgrade in the near future.Additionally, 165hz 1440p displays are typically OCd to get to that level, and OCd monitors have, in my experience, much greater failure rates than at native. Finally, this particular monitor and brand have an excellent warranty and reputation, and the image itself is outstanding for a TN, particularly after hands on calibration.

I will certainly upgrade to a higher res some day, hopefully a buttery smooth 240hz ultrawide 1440p or 4k display, when the market normalizes it for price, the GPUs required to drive it become reasonable, and I have both the motivation and desire to invest in it and fully take advantage of it. If you have an opinion to the contrary, I would appreciate the feedback.

Hello all,

So I have been waiting to build my first desktop rig for years now after having been both a console and laptop gamer. Well, now is the time. I have purchased all the parts, the majority have arrived, and the few remaining are days away from delivery. My build is as listed below. I would ask for input on possible issues to anticipate with the selected parts, as well as their solutions. I would also appreciate getting linked to any threads or good instructional videos which can assist me in assembling and setting up this PC. While it is my first build, it is also an extremely expensive one and I am terrified of screwing it up. I appreciate all the input I have received from this group to date in selecting parts and tech discussions to date, I trust it will not fail me now. Thank you all.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD4Xq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD4Xq4/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (Purchased For $399.99)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $159.99)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Conductonaut 1 g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $18.99)
Motherboard: MSI - MEG Z390 ACE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $274.40)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (Purchased For $239.99)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $247.99)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card  (Purchased For $1399.99)
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $212.99)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $89.99)
Monitor: Alienware - AW2518H 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $549.99)
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $139.99)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $49.97)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud Alpha  Headset  (Purchased For $74.99)
Total: $3859.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-15 18:53 EST-0500

PC part picker should pick up on any compatibility issues or anything that would be wrong with it. 

Wow! Nice job going all out! But any LTT build guide is good!

Heres one from LTT and one from Tech Source 

DONT follow the one by The Vurge

CPU: i7-8700k, stock | CPU Cooler: Custom Loop | GPU: 

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 O8G ROG STRIX OC Edition | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750W | RAM: 16GB VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 @2666MHz | Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge | Case: Thermaltake View X-71 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | SSD2: 1TB Crucial SSD | HDD1: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 7200rpm | Peripherals: Corsair STRAFE v1.0, G602 Mouse | Acer Predator X34

3 minutes ago, Michael Nicoletti said:

PC part picker should pick up on any compatibility issues or anything that would be wrong with it. 

He has the parts already

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 O8G ROG STRIX OC Edition | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750W | RAM: 16GB VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 @2666MHz | Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge | Case: Thermaltake View X-71 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | SSD2: 1TB Crucial SSD | HDD1: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 7200rpm | Peripherals: Corsair STRAFE v1.0, G602 Mouse | Acer Predator X34

3 minutes ago, RayMurr said:

He has the parts already

PC part picker didn't note any compatibility issues, I was referring to more hands on issues such as sagging cards, difficult wiring, tight fits, etc.

Just now, BSula99 said:

PC part picker didn't note any compatibility issues, I was referring to more hands on issues such as sagging cards, difficult wiring, tight fits, etc.

Ah yes I see, sorry