Nexus 7 Late Review -- A look back at the second iteration at one of the definitive 7 inch Android Tablets.

BallGum

I was hoping to start getting some feedback for my first hardware review. The general feedback from Google + has been positive, but that audience isn't the most tech savvy out there.

Here's the link:

http://theballofgum.blogspot.com/2014/01/late-nexus-7-2013-review.html

Thanks for your time,

BallGum

P.S. the pictures look terrible since I'm still using my smartphone camera to take them.

P.P.S. check out the awesome CSS3 colour transitions ; )

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

This should be in the "member reviews" section. :/

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

This should be in "member reviews" section. :/

Sorry about that. I'll move it now, thanks for telling me.

I admire the clean formatting (though somewhat inconsistent at times) but there's room for improvement in communicating your thoughts a tad bit better. I'm confident that your ability to do so will improve with time. I read the review and understand what you're trying to say but it's not as concise as it could be. 

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Also, if you need anyone to proofread these reviews or edit them, feel free to PM me and I'll help as best as I can when I'm available.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I had one for a week, then returned it. Not because I didn't like it, but because I wanted a Nexus 5 phone instead.

Now I miss it. :( I am going to buy one I think, even if it is a waste of money.

I think it is a good first attempt. I would however feel that since you put this here and asked for our opinions, i will be honest with you. First thing that bugs me the most is the photos. If i were you, I'd make the layout of the website have a cool, cover photo with the nexus 7. maybe go into Photoshop and tweak a few things if you are familiar with it. And make the photos bigger. That is what it bugging me the most. Make the photos go to the edge of the margin, otherwise it looks kind strange. And make the photos look more professional. This can be done with a white background. And if you have a dslr, crank up the exposure so that the background looks pure white. It isn't that hard and really pays off in the long run.

For example, here's a photo of a lens I took awhile back doing the same thing

IMG_8773.JPG

Notice how the white background almost matches the website's background. This isn't the best example of this effect there is, and I was only using a desktop light (lol)  and if you look closely, the white cardboard has a bunch of holes in it, but it was a decent one that I could find on short notice.

Also, thanks to this years English teacher I have, I learned that in an article or essay, try to  avoid using the words "is" or "be", as little as possible. Seems like an easy thing to do, but it makes a difference( and actually isn't all that easy). Also, don't write things such as "in my opinion" . The audience knows that it is your opinion since you are writing about it, and it just weakens your point. And lastly, try not to start sentences with "The" or "A". It makes the sentence less likely to pull in the reader.

But it really does seem like a good first attempt, and it can only get better from here.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I admire the clean formatting (though somewhat inconsistent at times) but there's room for improvement in communicating your thoughts a tad bit better. I'm confident that your ability to do so will improve with time. I read the review and understand what you're trying to say but it's not as concise as it could be.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Also, if you need anyone to proofread these reviews or edit them, feel free to PM me and I'll help as best as I can when I'm available.

18 years old.

I started looking into technology when I was about 13.

My main "skill" at the moment isn't so much as proper technical knowledge ( I know and understand technology, but don't have a Computer Science degree. I'm trying to become more knowledgeable about architecture and screens by looking around online.), but being analytical about technology and companies in general.

I do know some Java and C++. Even have a little text based RPG I'm working on. I'll try to get it onto Android.

Thanks for the feedback. Being concise and precise with my thoughts is one of the key things that I think about when reviewing, Next time I'll put more time into structuring and planning the review.

I think it is a good first attempt. I would however feel that since you put this here and asked for our opinions, i will be honest with you. First thing that bugs me the most is the photos. If i were you, I'd make the layout of the website have a cool, cover photo with the nexus 7. maybe go into Photoshop and tweak a few things if you are familiar with it. And make the photos bigger. That is what it bugging me the most. Make the photos go to the edge of the margin, otherwise it looks kind strange. And make the photos look more professional. This can be done with a white background. And if you have a dslr, crank up the exposure so that the background looks pure white. It isn't that hard and really pays off in the long run.

For example, here's a photo of a lens I took awhile back doing the same thing

Posted Image

Notice how the white background almost matches the website's background. This isn't the best example of this effect there is, and I was only using a desktop light (lol) and if you look closely, the white cardboard has a bunch of holes in it, but it was a decent one that I could find on short notice.

Also, thanks to this years English teacher I have, I learned that in an article or essay, try to avoid using the words "is" or "be", as little as possible. Seems like an easy thing to do, but it makes a difference( and actually isn't all that easy). Also, don't write things such as "in my opinion" . The audience knows that it is your opinion since you are writing about it, and it just weakens your point. And lastly, try not to start sentences with "The" or "A". It makes the sentence less likely to pull in the reader.

But it really does seem like a good first attempt, and it can only get better from here.

The photos suck because I was using my HTC One S (just started the blog without a penny) for them, from now on I'll be using a proper camera for the reviews, and thanks for the advice about the white background.

The English advice is great though, one of the problems is trying to get rid of repetitive sentence structures. I'll try out your advice when, and if, Motorola sends me a Moto X.

Thanks for your time though, much appreciated.

I had one for a week, then returned it. Not because I didn't like it, but because I wanted a Nexus 5 phone instead.

Now I miss it. :( I am going to buy one I think, even if it is a waste of money.

If you're going to buy it because of my review, be sure to let Google know ; )

Oh, and the affiliate link on the final nexus image in my article. It's £176, and the money really helps with the attempt to move to WordPress or Squarespace with a paid domain name.

Also sorry for the late reply guys, somehow I didn't get the tapatalk notifications.

If you're going to buy it because of my review, be sure to let Google know ; )

Oh, and the affiliate link on the final nexus image in my article. It's £176, and the money really helps with the attempt to move to WordPress or Squarespace with a paid domain name.

Also sorry for the late reply guys, somehow I didn't get the tapatalk notifications.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with WordPress or Square space. Either learn some HTML and CSS, which should only take you 10 minutes, seriously, it's that easy. Go to w3 schools.com or even try codecademy.com or get Adobe Dreamweaver

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with WordPress or Square space. Either learn some HTML and CSS, which should only take you 10 minutes, seriously, it's that easy. Go to w3 schools.com or even try codecademy.com or get Adobe Dreamweaver

I know some HTML and some CSS, but I haven't much time on my hands to spend building a new website. I think I might stick with blogger and, in the summer, build my own?

But I'm ignorant of how to actually build and host a website myself. Don't I need a server and an ISP to help?

I know some HTML and some CSS, but I haven't much time on my hands to spend building a new website. I think I might stick with blogger and, in the summer, build my own?

But I'm ignorant of how to actually build and host a website myself. Don't I need a server and an ISP to help?

Sounds like a great idea. after creating it, you can just upload it to some hoster, and you have  to pay like $15 a year which is worth it compared to actually hosting it yourself.

Also, look into jquery. It's javascript, but made much easier. It could add some awesome interactivity to your website. here's an example of the awesomeness you can do with it :http://www.tedxguc.com/

Sounds like a great idea. after creating it, you can just upload it to some hoster, and you have to pay like $15 a year which is worth it compared to actually hosting it yourself.

Well, that's the plan now : )

Time to go through those W3 tutorials a page at a time until summer