Using Newegg in the UK

MacW

Hi guys,

Has anyone in the UK used Newegg (via the UK localisation options) to order components from the US to the UK?

The basket automatically adds VAT but it just seems too cheap and convenient for my cynical mind. Am I likely to be hit by some unforeseen customs charge or tax on top of my purchase costs?

Cheers all.

well... not only VAT is there... import tax is probebly making it more expensive than you would get it somewhere in the UK

8 minutes ago, MacW said:

Hi guys,

Has anyone in the UK used Newegg (via the UK localisation options) to order components from the US to the UK?

The basket automatically adds VAT but it just seems too cheap and convenient for my cynical mind. Am I likely to be hit by some unforeseen customs charge or tax on top of my purchase costs?

Cheers all.

The UK border force like to force you to pay extra import fees.

And shipping is ridiculous too.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Yeah, I agree with all above. I once got something shipped from USA and it even though it was only $50 ish, still had to pay extra taxes on import. Works out to be more than buying local if you get anything over. Also big stuff will be a lot more in shipping and take a while too.

It's not like buying from china where as long as it's small they can get it in as a 'gift value: $5' (illegal customs declaration by seller) when it actually costs way more.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

You will have to pay import duty

For example I bought a 2TB samsung evo 860 from US amazon, (it was cheaper than UK even with shipping and import fees) for $295 and it was around $60 for VAT and import duty.

That's not currently the case as it's $398 atm with shipping and fees which is about £310 and it's £305 on the UK amazon, but prior to christmas it was around £20 cheaper to get it from the US.

It's usually a lot less than VAT so if with VAT and shipping it's still coming up decently cheaper then it can be worth it.

Bear in mind though that if the vendor does pre emptively charge you import duty to save UK customs the hassle then you'll likely be charged a handling fee to charge and collect the import duty which is usually around £10 or so

Thanks guys, thought it seemed too easy.

You need to pay import fees (and possibly a handling fee on top of that).

Shipping is usually free but it depends on the size of the item.

9 times out of 10 it's worth importing it since UK prices are ridiculous compared to US/Canadian prices.

Just use Scan, Ebuyer, Overclockers, Aria, etc for components. All well recommended UK online stores and you won't be charged import taxes.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

You're going to get stung not only by import charges but also by the handling fees that most if not all couriers charge to present the item to customs for charging and with all that, it'll be cheaper to just buy from a domestic supplier.