Laptop Suggestions

I'm in need of a new laptop. Can you guys help me?

I am a US college student studying Computer Engineering (senior) at my local university. I have a decent rig at home, so I'm not looking for anything amazing. I need something relatively light weight, preferably with a decent feeling keyboard. I will be doing some light programming and a lot of word processing on it. I/O wise, my only real requirement is that it have an HDMI port to project presentations. I have pretty large hands, so I would prefer it not be a netbook. I have about $400 (USD) to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i3-8130U-Memory-E5-576-392H/dp/B079TGL2BZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547518839&sr=8-2&keywords=Aspire+E15

This is probably your best bet considering your limited budget. I would consider taking out the hard drive and replacing it with an SSD.

Could also look at used thinkpads

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, somgoozy said:

I/O wise, my only real requirement is that it have an HDMI port to project presentations

On the off chance there's a good ultrabook with a micro HDMI port, would you be willing to get a cable for it? I did when i bought my 2 in 1

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It might be worth searching for some good used deals. I'd give some suggestions, but I'm not at all familiar with the used laptop market.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

Just now, fasauceome said:

On the off chance there's a good ultrabook with a micro HDMI port, would you be willing to get a cable for it? I did when i bought my 2 in 1

Pretty sure I have one, and I wouldn't mind that at all. 

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i3-8130U-Memory-E5-576-392H/dp/B079TGL2BZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547518839&sr=8-2&keywords=Aspire+E15

This is probably your best bet. I would consider taking out the hard drive and replacing it with an SSD.

I will definitely consider it. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, somgoozy said:

I'm in need of a new laptop. Can you guys help me?

I am a US college student studying Computer Engineering (senior) at my local university. I have a decent rig at home, so I'm not looking for anything amazing. I need something relatively light weight, preferably with a decent feeling keyboard. I will be doing some light programming and a lot of word processing on it. I/O wise, my only real requirement is that it have an HDMI port to project presentations. I have pretty large hands, so I would prefer it not be a netbook. I have about $400 (USD) to spend.

Can you give me a city so I can look for some used options for you ? 

10 minutes ago, Brynjar said:

Can you give me a city so I can look for some used options for you ? 

Lexington, KY.

1 hour ago, somgoozy said:

about $400 (USD)

Go used/refurb - business laptops with MQ / QM CPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, somgoozy said:

Lexington, KY.

Found these options in your area available from craigslist: 

https://lexington.craigslist.org/sys/d/lexington-lenovo-yogain-1-laptop/6787211122.html

https://lexington.craigslist.org/sys/d/lexington-microsoft-surface-pro-4/6787281818.html

https://lexington.craigslist.org/sys/d/lexington-lenovo-thinkpad-laptop/6791481452.html

https://lexington.craigslist.org/sys/d/corbin-dell-5548-touchscreen-laptop/6789669679.html

Hope you find the one that you like, as always, be careful when buying electronics, ask for the laptop to be fully charged so you can turn it on yourself in front of the seller and run a few applications. Good luck. 

edit: If you go to your university's IT department and ask if they have any deals available for laptops they can probably hook you up in some way, especially if its one of those big well funded Unis, they often times cycle thru tech in short terms so they list them for ridiculously low prices. 

I really wanted to thank you guys for the help. I ended up going with an older Surface Pro from Craigslist that was suggested. I had never used one before, and without you guys I would have dismissed the idea as either being unusably outdated or out of my budget. I now understand why they are so popular. It had never occurred to me how much easier doing math homework would be while using it. Thank you so much!