Audio Technica gaming?

OBEYSQUIRREL

Can anyone tell me why someone would rather spend $250 on a rebranded a/d-700 headphone with a boom mic when you can get the original or even a/d-700x for over $100 less and get a better quality mic? Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but do people really spend an extra $125 for the same product just because it has the word "gaming" thrown on it? Can someone help me justify the price?

people are stupid, that's all

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Convenience factor I suppose, I'ld much rather have a mic attached to the headphones than have to ghetto rig something or have a mic on my desk.

Can anyone tell me why someone would rather spend $250 on a rebranded a/d-700 headphone with a boom mic when you can get the original or even a/d-700x for over $100 less and get a better quality mic? Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but do people really spend an extra $125 for the same product just because it has the word "gaming" thrown on it? Can someone help me justify the price?

because money and marketing. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

because money and marketing. 

That and convenience 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

gaming cans arent worth it. Go for their original model, much betters.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

Gamers would rather have retarded hardcore pro gamer! branded on the front of it rather than an elegant finely tuned device. Or so the companies think...

However that shit sells so maybe we are the minority...

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Headsets are all trash. dedicated microphone with 2.1/5.1 speakers or high-end headphone is much better.

Gamers would rather have retarded hardcore pro gamer! branded on the front of it rather than an elegant finely tuned device. Or so the companies think...

However that shit sells so maybe we are the minority...

I can't imagine it stealing very many customers from companies like turtle beach or astro though, it seems like people that know who Audio Technica is generally care more about quality. 

are you comparing MSRP of the ad700 to the gaming cans? I think after a few months, it's likely that the "street price" of the gaming cans with the headset will be within 50$ of the original, which I think is at that point a fair price, given the quality of Audio Technica microphones.

I dont see the problem with headsets.

Im all about convenience and a headset can be taken with you pretty easily 

My only gripe with headsets are that the microphones are usually crap. 

I don't have a problem with these high end headphone/audio companies releasing gear like this, because at least we know that the headphones themselves will be a solid piece of hardware generally.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the mic quality of the new AT headsets? 

#!

I don't know about their headsets, but i've used some of their budget XLR microphones, and even their cheap XLR's are pretty good quality.

well first of all its the first announcement and like stated above the price is bound to fluctuate. 

second the ad700x is already a strong product line in the audio technica inventory and to cannibalize that line is not a wise thing to do the value add product is going to be priced higher. am I really pleased with the price? no  is the price out line with other products? the sennheiser G4me 1 is $249 

the price is high but its inline with the direct competition and you are getting proven quality audio from a trusted company that products headphones AAAAANNNNDDD a company that has a trusted reputation with microphones which is way more than I can say for the audio and mic reputations of turtle beach 

I'm pretty sure once this product matures the price will come down. it would also help if other established companies came in to compete in this segment. 

My only gripe with headsets are that the microphones are usually crap. 

I don't have a problem with these high end headphone/audio companies releasing gear like this, because at least we know that the headphones themselves will be a solid piece of hardware generally.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the mic quality of the new AT headsets? 

I think it was Logan video where they got to do a mic test. It's pretty damn good. WAY WAY wayyyyyyyyyy WAYYYYYYYYYY better than the astro mic.