CPU Cleaning Help!

So recently I have swapped my cooler on my computer, as I removed my cpu the thermal past leaked into the socket and onto the pins. I was worried but fired up my pc again. There was no display on my screen so I thought that the past must be the problem. 

I have some of the alcohol remover with me but I don’t want to be pouring things into the socket of my motherboard without expert help. 

Can you please help or advise me into cleaning my cpu!

Thank You!!

13 minutes ago, BenIddon said:

So recently I have swapped my cooler on my computer, as I removed my cpu the thermal past leaked into the socket and onto the pins. I was worried but fired up my pc again. There was no display on my screen so I thought that the past must be the problem. 

I have some of the alcohol remover with me but I don’t want to be pouring things into the socket of my motherboard without expert help. 

Can you please help or advise me into cleaning my cpu!

Thank You!!

Is this an AMD or an Intel CPU?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

AMD- Ryzen 7 2700x 

When I had to clean thermal paste out of my socket I used a toothpick and a can of air.  However, I didn't install my CPU into the socket while it was dirty so I don't know how far into the socket thermal paste has gone in your instance.  So I recommend a flashlight when trying to find any stray paste the may have been forced deeper into the socket and to examine the pins on the CPU.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

What thermal paste do you use? And it’s better to use a toothbrush and a can of air as nick name said.

1 hour ago, nick name said:

AMD- Ryzen 7 2700x 

Okay so I will scrap the idea with the alcohol. I use the MX-4 Thermal compound and I can attach two images of the thermal paste on the cpu and the socket if they helps. Also do I use the toothbrush on the pins or just the socket because I always thought that a toothbrush was too rough??

image.jpg

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Xx_DonutEater_xX said:

What thermal paste do you use? And it’s better to use a toothbrush and a can of air as nick name said.

I used a toothpick so that I could be more surgical in my approach and the paste seemed to adhere to the wood with very little effort.

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

I used a toothpick so that I could be more surgical in my approach and the paste seemed to adhere to the wood with very little effort.

I will try using a toothpick, would you just suggest I poke it into the sockets or anything?? What’s the best way to do it?

If there is any visible paste in the socket then gently touch it with the toothpick and hopefully it will stick to the tip of the toothpick and can be removed.  

And I would gently use the toothpick to get the pins of the CPU too.  You'll want to be gentle and use as little force as possible.  Just enough to make the toothpick "grab" the paste.  

And if you do use a toothbrush you want the motion you use to go out toward the edges of the CPU so that you don't push the paste further toward the middle of the CPU.  And I would encourage you use a motion where you twist your wrist that will move to lift the bristles up and away and not use a simple lateral brushing across the CPU.

I’ll use the toothpick method.... I hope this works I really don’t want to break my 2700x!! 

I will reply soon but may take longer but thank you for all your help!

Well I’ve tried my bets but it doesn’t seem enough to test I would have to put it all back in. Is it worth just sending a picture again to show you?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your CPU will be fine. You shouldn’t be too scared for the mobo either, because mx-4 thermal paste is electrically non-conductive so it should not short out your mobo even if you decide to turn it on for any reason.

Nick name I’m sorry I read your post wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

Wish you best of luck!

Just now, Xx_DonutEater_xX said:

Your CPU will be fine. You shouldn’t be too scared for the mobo either, because mx-4 thermal paste is electrically non-conductive so it should not short out your mobo even if you decide to turn it on for any reason.

Nick name I’m sorry I read your post wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

Wish you best of luck!

Okay thank you for your reply on the mobo I was worried about that too! Looking at the images does this seem alright to test or should I do something else?

No don’t try it yet. Go ahead and try to clean it with the toothpick again. Don’t turn it back on until there’s minimal thermal paste on the motherboard amd on the CPU.

It's a big pain in the rear to clean out the socket, but it can be done.  You'll need to be meticulous in your effort.  Experiment with different motions that capture the most paste and you'll want to switch out new toothpicks.  

The paste that remains on the CPU shouldn't be a problem as long as the pins themselves are clean.  

I have read on other article that you can use “rubbing” alcohol to clean the socket, but that article was about an Intel socket. I don’t know how it would work work with your amd socket. But I would be very scared to pour some alcohol in my pc.

3 hours ago, BenIddon said:

the thermal past leaked into the socket

The thermal paste did it? Not you?

I submit it was not the fault of "runny" paste but rather user error.

I have never encountered thermal paste, non-metallic, that was that runny.

Are you sure you didn't drop the CPU and have it land paste side down on the socket?

Anyways, clean the paste off before removing the CPU from the socket next time.

And I notice it looks like the paste is on the outside pins.

If there were too much paste applied then when you grabbed that filthy thing with your stubby little fingers

the paste could easily get pressed around the corner to the bottom if you didn't clean off the paste before removing.

<removed content>

Edited by wkdpaul

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 hour ago, Xx_DonutEater_xX said:

I have read on other article that you can use “rubbing” alcohol to clean the socket, but that article was about an Intel socket. I don’t know how it would work work with your amd socket. But I would be very scared to pour some alcohol in my pc.

I have some of this alcohol but like you I wouldn’t want to risk it. It’s supposed to have no conduction and evaporates quickly but I’m too scared! I’ll keep trying with the tooth picks but some are too big to get down! :(

1 hour ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Are you sure you didn't drop the CPU and have it land paste side down on the socket?

If there were too much paste applied then when you grabbed that filthy thing with your stubby little fingers

the paste could easily get pressed around the corner to the bottom if you didn't clean off the paste before removing.

Well it was to do with too much paste in one area I believe there wasn’t that much when I applied it but because some coolers come with a complete square of thermal paste then when it was squashed down it ran over the side but it wasn’t runny just goopy. And it wasn’t my desk don’t worry it was a piece of scrap card!

Dont mind your honesty though!

1 hour ago, BenIddon said:

I have some of this alcohol but like you I wouldn’t want to risk it. It’s supposed to have no conduction and evaporates quickly but I’m too scared! I’ll keep trying with the tooth picks but some are too big to get down! :(

Yeah I feel you.

if you have a wire brush, gently brush the socket. that worked for me one time when i dripped thermal paste on the socket

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

So, we are a little of topic right now. What should this guy do to fix his pc. Any ideas?

11 minutes ago, Xx_DonutEater_xX said:

So, we are a little of topic right now. What should this guy do to fix his pc. Any ideas?

Yes.... please help I don’t have many things to get this out with because I’m limited being at home and not at an office!

I think you should “wash you motherboard socket with some rubbing alcohol, but make sure it’s not electrically conductive, them let the motherboard dry for some time. I don’t know how much exactly sorry.

The makers of WD40 have a product to clean electronics.  I've used it on the internals of a PSU and I think the person that recommended it to me used it on a motherboard.  However, I can't say for certain it won't harm a motherboard.  I mention it now because it is pressurized and may work at getting the hard to reach paste out of each hole.  Like I mentioned before, though, it can be done with a toothpick and lots of patience.

1 hour ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

And the pic of the upsidedown CPU with paste obviously still on it contaminating your work surface, shudder.

Clean up your act! lol

A little foresight and attention to details (what is your perceptual resolution) goes a long way.

I hate to say it, but, maybe you should be here...

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/15-console-gaming/O.o

Well it was to do with too much paste in one area I believe there wasn’t that much when I applied it but because some coolers come with a complete square of thermal paste then when it was squashed down it ran over the side but it wasn’t runny just goopy. And it wasn’t my desk don’t worry it was a piece of scrap card!

Dont mind your honesty though!

Thank you all for your help if you have any more ideas please keep posting I’ve tried everything here but nothing seems to have gotten it clear I will try again in the morning though!