toggle switches

stinkbomber2317

i have a corsair 650d case and was wondering how to add and install a toggle switch for the power. i know i need a monetary switch. also if i add this, how would i use it for a force shutdown if i have to?

What are you trying to do.

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

What are you trying to do.
add a toggle switch to the case for fans, leds, and as a system power switch instead of the button

Okay, there are two ways you could go about this.

First: do all the switches yourself - connect a momentary switch to a pair of wires, crimp the other ends with dupont connectors for the power; connect toggle switches to interrupt the 12v power connected to your fans/LEDs (between the molex and the device), then drill holes in your case/bay covers to mount those switches however you like.

Second option: you can buy all of it done already. The place I know of offhand is Performance-PCs, but I'm sure other mod-type shops have the same stuff.

For them, you'd want a "vandal-resistant switch" for your power (and a bezel or mounting plate), and military or toggle switches for everything else (either with their individual switches and a baybus, or using something all-in-one like a Lamptron Hummer.) They have a ton of different switch styles/colours, and offer options to wire stuff up ahead of time how you like.

Take a look here: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_374

Its very simple, any momentary switch for the powerbutton (or reset) will work. Pick one that looks nice and note the size hole you need to cut out.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Green-Led-Metal-Switch-12V-Momentary-Push-Button-19mm-G-/280745685808?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415dbf3330

I have one of these which needs a 19mm hole, find a holesaw or drill bit to suit the size.

The switch tightens in place with a nut that screws on the back of it, pick a spot on the case to put the switch with room behind to do this up.

The switch will work exactly as your old one did. Its function is changed through windows. Search "Power Options"

To wire it up you can either get a MB header plug and wire it to the switch. Or you can use the cases powers switch wires by either spliceing into the wires going to your current power switch (both switches will work) or cut it and rout it to the new switch. Crimping terminals onto the wires makes it easier to plug & unplug the switch in the future. Remember to heat shrink all bare wireing.

Use a toggle switch for fan or led switching. Simply cut the power 12v (yellow) wire on the molex-to-fan adapter going to the fan, or even the fan power cable itself. (never the psu rail) You can hardwire in wires up to the switch but i suggest crimping on connectors, much easier. (again insulate any wires/crimps) If your LED's are powered by molex then the same method applies.

Iv mounted switches on one of my 5 1/4" bay covers because if you screw it up, theres usually a spare from the where the DVD drive would be to replace it.

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.