Temperature Issues 2

Ashy2874
Go to solution Solved by Ashy2874,
12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Some, depending on browser and what on the site. Videos, animations etc. are heavier than just plain stuff. FB, for example (and two tabs of forum) goes up to 1.5% CPU usage for me. Overall you wouldn't notice it in CPU usage. It shows more in RAM usage.

Again, it depends. Ideally you test with benchmark or stress test to see how high it goes when all maxed out. If game is more demanding than another, then temps are higher with it, but not over what you get with synthetic loads.

I see. Well thx for the help with all the additional info. 

Hello. 2nd build for my pc here. Actually more like a migration from my old build just to a new case. Old build:

CPU i5-6500 = SKYLAKE

CPU COOLER = CRYORIG H7

MOTHERBOARD = ASUS B150 PRO PRO GAMING/AURA

RAM = G.SKILL RIPJAWS V RED 2x4 DDR4 2400mhz (CL15)

GPU = ASUS GTX1070 STRIX 8GB

PSU = XIGMATEK X-CALIBRE 500W

CASE = IN-WIN 805 BLACK RED

HDD = WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB

ADD ONS = CRYORIG QF120 PERFORMANCE

SHARKOON 12 CM RED FAN (NON-ADJUSTABLE SPEED)

TPLINK 300MBPS PCI-E WIFI

RGB LED STRIP WITH REMOTE

However now the build has changed to a more light for travel since I'll be travelling a lot. New build:

CPU: I5-8400

CPU COOLER: Cryorig C7

MOTHERBOARD = Gigabyte H370n-WIFI

RAM = G.SKILL RIPJAWS V RED 2x4 DDR4 2400mhz (CL15)

GPU = ASUS GTX1070 STRIX 8GB

PSU = Silverstone SX500-LG SFX

CASE = Fractal Design Node 202

SSD = Western Digital 2.5" Green 240GB 

SSHD = Seawater Firecuda 2.5" 1TB

The problem right now is as the old issue, cpu temperature problems. The obvious reason is the case and the gpu fans circling the hot air around the components. The builder said the cpu reaches 88 under load. The only I do is playing by games e.g. AAA titles and mobs. Some light Internet browsing, a couple of tabs opened. Any solutions to solve this issue? At this point I'm just gonna stick a desk fan right into the pc since my builder said he can't fit the extra fans I had from the old H7 and the QF120 due to the thickness of Gpu. Some opinions would be much appreciated. Currently the new PC is still at the shop and I'm going there to receive it as of this is written

Have you tried setting a custom core voltage instead of leaving it at Auto?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

Never tried it. Is it like undervolt the cpu?

Yes, it can help lower temps. You could also try reseating the cooler in case it was improperly mounted. 88c is still pretty high. Did the builder specify what conditions would cause such temps? Is it a synthetic stress test on both the cpu and graphics card?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

Never tried it. Is it like undervolt the cpu?

It technically isn't undervolting as you are just setting voltages bit over what Intel's stock is. Like 1.15-1.2V is enough where automatic would raise voltages to 1.25-1.35V, Have you tested temps yourself? its seems bit odd for CPU to go that high.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:00 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

It technically isn't undervolting as you are just setting voltages bit over what Intel's stock is. Like 1.15-1.2V is enough where automatic would raise voltages to 1.25-1.35V, Have you tested temps yourself? its seems bit odd for CPU to go that high.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:12 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, it can help lower temps. You could also try reseating the cooler in case it was improperly mounted. 88c is still pretty high. Did the builder specify what conditions would cause such temps? Is it a synthetic stress test on both the cpu and graphics card?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sorry for the late replies. Was done tinkering with the smart fan curve and was happy with it. My bad on the 88 C, it was stress test so it was obvious why it reaches 88 C. Under load at 88 C seems atrocious. So for an update

CPU idle : 44 C     load (games) 70-75 C

GPU idle 39 C,      load (games) 60-65 C

To me that seemed very well in the super safe margin.

Just need some extra info

1. Does having extra tabs open lets say 5 consist of music, fb etc increases the load on the cpu when playing games?

2. Those load temps are when I'm playing Monster Hunter World. Would the load temps change if I play other games i.e Shadow of Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4?

17 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

Just need some extra info

1. Does having extra tabs open lets say 5 consist of music, fb etc increases the load on the cpu when playing games?

Some, depending on browser and what on the site. Videos, animations etc. are heavier than just plain stuff. FB, for example (and two tabs of forum) goes up to 1.5% CPU usage for me. Overall you wouldn't notice it in CPU usage. It shows more in RAM usage.

17 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

2. Those load temps are when I'm playing Monster Hunter World. Would the load temps change if I play other games i.e Shadow of Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4?

Again, it depends. Ideally you test with benchmark or stress test to see how high it goes when all maxed out. If game is more demanding than another, then temps are higher with it, but not over what you get with synthetic loads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I see. Well thx for the help with all the additional info.