Cold Cathodes VS. Led Lighting

austin2118ace
Go to solution Solved by chaozbandit,

LEDs because they're easier to work with and take up less size. If you can work them into a case in such a way where the maximax of the light output hits your components while still remaining out of sight, you can replicate the lighting effects of a cold cathode kit. LEDs are also more flexible in that you can easily trim them to size or get them in multiple shades of a single colour or different colours in general. (colour in the pic below is "warm white)

23s6dj8.jpg

So I just recently built my new machine, and have decided that it is time to bling it out a little. I want to add some lights to the inside and am not sure what to get.

Cathodes seem to come in a greater range of sizes. But suck a lot of power. And apparently can explode and burn your computer down.

LEDs seem to be the better choice. Power efficient, cooler, ect.  What do you guys think?

And to go with them I want to get one of these to turn the lights on and off. It will take a little DIY work but I am pretty good with electronics.

I have a NZXT Phantom 530 Full tower case, which gives me ample room to add lights.

Thanks,

Austin

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

PSU- Corsair CX750M Cooler- Corsair H90 Boot Drive- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Storage-WD 1TB Blue Storage- Seagate 2TB

So I just recently built my new machine, and have decided that it is time to bling it out a little. I want to add some lights to the inside and am not sure what to get.

Cathodes seem to come in a greater range of sizes. But suck a lot of power. And apparently can explode and burn your computer down.

LEDs seem to be the better choice. Power efficient, cooler, ect.  What do you guys think?

And to go with them I want to get one of these to turn the lights on and off. It will take a little DIY work but I am pretty good with electronics.

I have a NZXT Phantom 530 Full tower case, which gives me ample room to add lights.

Thanks,

Austin

The NZXT RGB Led strips give all the colors you want.

Also just a heads up, your signature is currently against the rules :) It's 3 lines max.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I would only do CC if it was an all-in-one unit.  I prefer the overall glow of CC over the directness of LEDs

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

I would say that LEDs would be a better option due to the heat, power and simplicity advantages of them.

LEDs because they're easier to work with and take up less size. If you can work them into a case in such a way where the maximax of the light output hits your components while still remaining out of sight, you can replicate the lighting effects of a cold cathode kit. LEDs are also more flexible in that you can easily trim them to size or get them in multiple shades of a single colour or different colours in general. (colour in the pic below is "warm white)

23s6dj8.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Thanks Guys, I guess I am buying LEDs. :)

Thanks,

Austin

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

PSU- Corsair CX750M Cooler- Corsair H90 Boot Drive- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Storage-WD 1TB Blue Storage- Seagate 2TB

23s6dj8.jpg

Lol if only it looked like that in real life. That is an obvious photoshop and less to do with the leds.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Lol if only it looked like that in real life. That is an obvious photoshop and less to do with the leds.

...this is a raw photo straight off my phone. 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB