Build Update Advice

Tendread

Last night, I started experiencing total system lock-ups when playing games after short periods of time. No graphical artifacts or changes in temperature that would explain the issue (I'll be doing more troubleshooting this evening) but it got me thinking, if I did need to replace my CPU, what would I upgrade to? 

Here's my current build: 

And here are some parts I've considered replacing them with (the CPU and cooler may be a little overkill)

So what do you guys think, are there any areas I'm neglecting or would get more benefit from upgrading?

If you just need to replace your cpu I would just do that. But I doubt your cpu is broken. 

And maybe a better psu

For the potential new build don't go overkill on cpu cooler if you don't do it for the lulz or looks/bragging rights. 

I'd start looking at software changes to see if a driver or other update is contributing.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Seems to be some sort of issue with the m2 drive. Hitting 100% usage with 0 read/write

Is the M.2 new? Is it the boot drive?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

if you want to upgrade this is a great excuse. If you are happy with your current setup I would first dial back overclocks on the cpu/GPU if they are overclocked. If that doesn’t fix it I would uninstall and reinstall drivers (make sure you have the latest cpu drivers from intel). If that doesn’t fix it try a fresh install of windows. If everything fails then you’re probably looking at failing hardware.

10 hours ago, Tendread said:

Seems to be some sort of issue with the m2 drive. Hitting 100% usage with 0 read/write

do you have a spare drive? or you could try putting windows on the sata ssd and seeing if you still have problems, if not, that could be the cause.

if that is the problem, samsung ssd's have a 5 year warranty which you'd want to try to use first

with the m.2 ssd both plugged in without windows and disconnected