Help in purchasing new monitor

Adamt1212

It's just that time again and I am starting to upgrade my gaming system.

I got a good deal from a friend on https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-Graphic-GV-N2080GAMING-OC-8GC/dp/B07GHQZF7W since he works at micro center.

I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 2700x a short while ago.

Everything is running well and now I'm looking into monitors as well as a slightly larger desktop case as mine is a bit cramped and on the small side.

I currently have a 24" 144hz BenQ I got a couple years back and then just an old throw away 27" tv as a second monitor so I need to replace it.

I'm trying to look into a 30" or more 4k IPS monitor but I'm not dedicated to those specifications except that it be around 30" or more. I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to displays so I am looking for some help.

As far as budget goes I'm looking to spend between $650 to $800 and a good bang for my buck to get the most out of my new GPU.

Brand new on here so if you need any more information to give some recommendations please feel free to ask

I've been recommended this one by a friend who uses it, but again I don't know much when it comes to displays so I don't want to jump on a good price tag and make a mistake.

hhttps://www.amazon.com/Designo-MX34VQ-Adaptive-Sync-Wireless-Frameless/dp/B01N4UQIGT/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1507586150&sr=8-1&keywords=mx34vq&linkCode=sl1&tag=pc-rog-20&linkId=0e9c802a4e84c016a0c7586c38f13888&th=1

There are a lot of aspects to consider when selecting a new monitor, and a lot of them are personal preference. What you are using the monitor for should be a major factor in your decision. For gaming I prefer higher refresh rate over higher resolution so "4K" just isn't really an option unless your budget is close to $2k. My personal preference for resolution is 2650 by 1440 because it offers a nice increase of resolution over 1920 by 1080 while still offering higher refresh rates (100hz+) at a more reasonable price.

There is also aspect ratio to consider (to go ultra-wide or not). 1080p and 1440p monitors are 16 by 9 aspect ratio which has become a standard for most monitors but ultra-wide 21 by 9 aspect ratios have recently become popular. There are pros and cons to a 21 by 9 aspect ratio as well (again mostly personal preference). Ultra-wide will give you a slightly higher resolution while still being able to provide higher refresh rate, but the 21 by 9 aspect ratio is not supported by all games (you might want to check the titles you play for support first). The common resolutions for utra-wide monitors are 2560 by 1080 and 3440 x 1440 (the one linked in your post above is 3440x1440). My personal opinion about gaming on an ultra-wide is that I feel "squished" vertically, but I highly suggest you try one and form your own opinion.

There are a lot more things to consider including stand/mounting options, adaptive sync/freesync/G-sync, response time, HDR support, color accuracy, brightness, panel type, inputs, viewing angle, manufacturer support/warranty, and input lag. (some or all of the above you may or may not care about which makes the process very subjective)

Good luck on your hunt for a new monitor!

Below is a link to my daily driver monitor and the reasons why I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT6WQCJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_6opnCbETVM7J5

Pros:

32" size (l prefer larger screens, and actually used to use a TV)

2560x1440 resolution (higher than 1080p  resolution without being to much for my pc)

144hz refresh rate (amazing for gaming and not too much for my pc)

1ms response time (prevents ghosting when changing form light to dark)

factory color calibrated (colors are great straight out of the box)

Vesa mount compatible (mounted to an arm on my desk it does not fill my entire work space)

Cons:

stand (the included stand is highly adjustable but insanely large. I fixed this by mounting to a gas arm)

"HDR support" (this monitor's HDR support is a joke and simply should not be used IMO)

freesync instead of G-sync (this could turn into a pro depending on the upcoming nvidia driver update)