Byerdynamics DT 990 Pro - amp/dac?

DotoreN

I am planning on buying the byerdynamics DT 990 Pro since i'm looking for a decent open headphone.

However since the 990 Pro is 250ohms, will I need an Amp?

I don't want to spend too much money on an amp, especially since I don't know if i'm going to like the DT 990 Pro.

So I have 2 questions:

- Is it possible to buy the 250 ohm DT 990 and see if i like the sound without an amp or does it not give a good representation without an amp/dac?

- Also if i'm going to buy an amp/dac, what is a good (not too expensive) dac/amp that suffices for this headphone?

Advice is appreciated, thank you!

Edited by DotoreN

On 1/7/2019 at 5:32 AM, DotoreN said:

I am planning on buying the byerdynamics DT 990 Pro since i'm looking for a decent open headphone.

However since the 990 Pro is 250ohms, will I need an Amp?

Mine are at their best when running from a Schiit Magni3/Modi3 combo, or an AE-5 soundcard.

I have also run them from a surface pro4, recon3d soundcard and directly from an older Asus motherboard. They are loud enough but the sound quality is a noticeable step back from the Schiit/AE-5. They don't sound bad, but there is a difference when comparing the different options.

I would just get a headphone amp for around $100 or less. I don’t believe that DACs would make a significant audio improvement. But I can get around headphone amps because they truly give you more “oomph” for your headphones. You can always buy a DAC later if you want. Buying a DAC and AMP separately is “better” anyways.