Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryzen 7 2700x problems

Hello,

So I just switch from intel to AMD. I have into a few problems with CPU temps and clocks. A little while back when I got the CPU I got a MB that turned out to be bad, I got a refund and just bought an ROG Cross hair Hero 7. I have a H100i V2 cooling it and the thermal paste is good. On idle, my temps are bouncing from the normal 28 up to 40 at random with nothing running. Then, when running IDA64 Stability test, it goes all the way to 75 and is only boosting to 3.9 GHz. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? The cooler is the same one I was using last week and its fine. The GPU is ok as well. Also, on first boot I went through several blue screens but after disabling fast boot it was fine. Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to lap the IHS? I used ICDiamond thermal paste but its a bit old and I have better stuff on the way, the paste is a bit old, could it be the problem? I also have liquid metal, should I put that on? Also my memory is 16 GB Hyper X at 3200 MHz but its at 2400 because I haven't set it up in the BIOS. I would really appreciate some help on this. Attached is a screen shot of my IDA 64 test and my settings in Ryzen Master. I am going to go update the BIOS real fast.1975377937_Screenshot(27).thumb.png.4be8ebe3ae068e251bfe1d83663e99d2.png153301407_Screenshot(28).thumb.png.b1fbf4fa39daedb218cc0dbbf5ad57ad.png

The idle temps jumping around is normal.  I can't really comment on your stress testing temps without knowing what the voltages are, but if it's at 3.9GHz and reasonable voltages then that does seem a little high with idle at 28*C.  

One thing I will recommend you check is that in whichever power plan you're using the value for minimum processor state must be below 50% for the CPU to reach all its p-states.  If it can't reach all its p-states then you won't achieve your fastest clock speeds for fewer/single core workloads.  I use ultimate performance and 20%.

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Ryzen platform is weird.  I only hit 3.95GHz with my S36 cooling it.  The stock voltage hits 1.45V for me.  I am currently 4.2GHz all Core OC at 1.4V and I hit around 65*C when exporting a video.  Ram only goes to 3000MHz though :(

if its brand new, return it and get it replaced

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

I j

25 minutes ago, nick name said:

The idle temps jumping around is normal.  I can't really comment on your stress testing temps without knowing what the voltages are, but if it's at 3.9GHz and reasonable voltages then that does seem a little high with idle at 28*C.  

One thing I will recommend you check is that in whichever power plan you're using the value for minimum processor state must be below 50% for the CPU to reach all its p-states.  If it can't reach all its p-states then you won't achieve your fastest clock speeds for fewer/single core workloads.  I use ultimate performance and 20%.

I just updated the bios, it gets the CPU to 4 GHZ now but its running at nearly 80. Do you mean the windows power plan or is it in bios? Also the idle bottoms out at 28. It jumps around, all the way above 40. I just bought it earlier tonight. I would prefer not to take apart my system and take it back if possible. Also voltages are on auto.

Also I just want to get to the advertised speed of 4.3. I will have a look at the thermal paste. Should I just take it down to Microcenter have let them try to fix it? I am usually good with this but its my first AMD CPU. 

34 minutes ago, PC Budget Solutions said:

Ryzen platform is weird.  I only hit 3.95GHz with my S36 cooling it.  The stock voltage hits 1.45V for me.  I am currently 4.2GHz all Core OC at 1.4V and I hit around 65*C when exporting a video.  Ram only goes to 3000MHz though :(

So after checking things, Corsair link says my CPU package temp is at 85 while AIDA64 says its at 17, below ambient. I am extremely confused. 

18 minutes ago, Tuckplace12 said:

I j

I just updated the bios, it gets the CPU to 4 GHZ now but its running at nearly 80. Do you mean the windows power plan or is it in bios? Also the idle bottoms out at 28. It jumps around, all the way above 40. I just bought it earlier tonight. I would prefer not to take apart my system and take it back if possible. Also voltages are on auto.

I am speaking about Windows power plan. 

You'll be able to use a negative offset, but you will probably want to couple that with load line calibration level 4.  If you're not running AVX workloads you can go with LLC 4 and a negative offset of around .075V.  If you're gonna be doing some taxing CPU workloads then an offset of around negative .05V will be likely be stable.  

I prefer to use HWiNFO to check system info.  It shows the correct temps, speeds, voltages, etc.  

And you may not have to remove the CPU cooler, but I would double check that it is tightened sufficiently.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

I am speaking about Windows power plan. 

You'll be able to use a negative offset, but you will probably want to couple that with load line calibration level 4.  If you're not running AVX workloads you can go with LLC 4 and a negative offset of around .075V.  If you're gonna be doing some taxing CPU workloads then an offset of around negative .05V will be likely be stable.  

I prefer to use HWiNFO to check system info.  It shows the correct temps, speeds, voltages, etc.  

And you may not have to remove the CPU cooler, but I would double check that it is tightened sufficiently.  

Its pretty tight. The power plan is on balanced, not power saver. Now my package, according to Corsair link is at 85 C idle while AIDA64 says its at 17. When I run a stress test they both jump to 120 and Corsiar link says 100 for the overall CPU temp while AIDA says 90. So I am going to check the thermal paste. 

1 minute ago, Tuckplace12 said:

Its pretty tight. The power plan is on balanced, not power saver. Now my package, according to Corsair link is at 85 C idle while AIDA64 says its at 17. When I run a stress test they both jump to 120 and Corsiar link says 100 for the overall CPU temp while AIDA says 90. So I am going to check the thermal paste. 

Just watch HWMonitor.  What voltage are you getting?  4.3GHz is only single core boost speeds BTW.

It doesn't matter which power plan you're using, but what minimum processor state is set to does matter.  It must be below 50% in order for the CPU to reach all its p-states.  That allows for the CPU to hit 4.35GHz on single core work loads.

And please get HWiNFO.  We can't help if you don't have accurate info.  

And can you control your pump speed on the Corsair H100?  I would make sure that it's running at full speed.

Lastly, if you're gonna re-paste then don't be afraid of using too much.  Pretty much no such thing as too much and it's much better than too little.  

12 minutes ago, nick name said:

It doesn't matter which power plan you're using, but what minimum processor state is set to does matter.  It must be below 50% in order for the CPU to reach all its p-states.  That allows for the CPU to hit 4.35GHz on single core work loads.

And please get HWiNFO.  We can't help if you don't have accurate info.  

And can you control your pump speed on the Corsair H100?  I would make sure that it's running at full speed.

Lastly, if you're gonna re-paste then don't be afraid of using too much.  Pretty much no such thing as too much and it's much better than too little.  

Got HWINFO. Its running at 1.29V when Cinebench is running, getting a score of 1696. So it looks like at random cores are boosting to 4.3 GHZ, at times all of them. My H100i is running at full speed. After redoing thermal paste and do an extremely generous amount my max temps are at 55. Also could I try overclocking it as it seems to be running fine now? Also is the random idle temps just a normal Ryzen thing? I was unable to find the minimum processor state but putting it on power save makes the core clocks at idle level out and the idle temp stabilized. It did bring down my Cinebench score by 70 pts.

I found it, they both have the same CPU power management options yet the CPU has the weird idle temps on balanced

You don't wanna overclock a 2700X for everyday use.  You wanna use Performance Enhancer Level 3 in BIOS.  Also, enable Core Performance Boost and set Performance Bias to Aida/Geekbench.  Performance Enhancers Levels 3 and 4 are basically a PBO overclock that will make the CPU hit higher all core speeds, but most importantly it keeps the CPU from down clocking while under load.  At the same time you maintain your max single/fewer core speeds.

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, nick name said:

You don't wanna overclock a 2700X for everyday use.  You wanna use Performance Enhancer Level 3 in BIOS.  Also, enable Core Performance Boost and set Performance Bias to Aida/Geekbench.  Performance Enhancers Levels 3 and 4 are basically a PBO overclock that will make the CPU hit higher all core speeds, but most importantly it keeps the CPU from down clocking while under load.  At the same time you maintain your max single/fewer core speeds.

Capture.PNG

Ok, thank you for all the help. I was just used to my 4790k running a 4.6 GHZ overclock all the time and being able to go 4.9. I will put those settings in.