what is framerate 1% low .1% low

Vigneshqw
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Its for showing the framerate of the worst 1% or .1% of frametimes. It basically shows how bad the low framerate is, the closer to the mean the better.

Basically if you line up all the frame rate numeres by frame rate, you pick the number that is 1% or .1% from the bottom.

You can also think of it as picking the frame rate that is 2.32 and 3.1 standard deviations below the mean

Its for showing the framerate of the worst 1% or .1% of frametimes. It basically shows how bad the low framerate is, the closer to the mean the better.

Basically if you line up all the frame rate numeres by frame rate, you pick the number that is 1% or .1% from the bottom.

You can also think of it as picking the frame rate that is 2.32 and 3.1 standard deviations below the mean

As described by this reddit thread, 1% low and 0.1% low is the average fps for the worst 1% or 0.1% of the time. Mostly designed to remove outliers.

• 2 years later...

I'm having strange scenario. i encounter few times where 1% low FPS is lower than Minimum FPS. How is that possible? Minimum FPS should be = to Lowest FPS among all. Anyone please elaborate. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 4:00 PM, Fr33domSouL said:

I'm having strange scenario. i encounter few times where 1% low FPS is lower than Minimum FPS. How is that possible? Minimum FPS should be = to Lowest FPS among all. Anyone please elaborate. Thanks.

Hey, I will try my best to explain and I hope although this answer comes quite late it will help you.

The thing is that the minimum fps counter does not respect the frametimes which are very important for the "smoothness" of your gaming-experience. You could have a min fps of 60 and still get a very inconsistent and choppy experience when the time between those frames flactuates by a lot. You can imagine bad frametimes like having 60fps but all of those 60 fps are drawn in .75 secons. The rest of the time (.25 seconds) are left without any new frame and that's where the stutter comes from.

Now to the reason the 1% and .1% fps can be lower than your minimal fps. Those are not calculated by counting the frames drawn in one second but rather measuring the time between two frames and taking the average of it. Now the distribution of those frametimes looks just like a gaussian which means there is a clear average which is measured the most and a standard deviation from this average. There are frametimes that are a lot higher (bad) and a lot lower (also not very good because it contributes to annoying inconsistencies) and for the 1% and .1% one takes the frametime where 1% and respectively .1% of all the measured frametimes are bigger. This chosen frametime ist then extrapolated to frames per second.

For example when you have 60 fps the average frametime ist about 16ms and when your 1% fps are like 30 and the .1% fps are 20 the frametimes corresponding to those 1% and .1% figures are 33 and 50ms. That would be a considerable stutter.

I hope it got clear and wish you a lot of fun playing and knowing what those numbers mean :)