Please Help, Broadband!

Fabledrac

Ok so I have watched my steam download speed and during the time of 00:00 to around 16:30 (midnight till 4:30pm) my speed is around 450kb/s and will go upto 550kb/s and down to 350kb/s. The problem is that after the time stated (4:30pm till midnight) my internet will 'die' and go down to 50-100kb/s on speed test (affects webpages, youtube etc.), however it will still peak at around 550kb/s on steam and go to around 350kb/s and drop to 100kb/s. I am wondering just why this is, that I can have such slow web browsing but faster downloads (i can't watch youtube, but can download on steam just a bit slower), I am with sky and supposedly on their unlimited package where they will not slow you down at peak times. and the 450-550kb/s second is the correct speed to receive in my area (highlands of Scotland) Why is youtube and other web pages hit so hard and steam is relatively fine?

I did not do both at the same time if you are wondering but it only makes youtube worse and again steam is not affected too much. Does anyone have a solution or at least a reason for this problem?

Peak times will have an effect on your speed and it does not matter if the ISP says it won't, its just the way internet works.

Speed can be affected by the distance to the server, the servers internet quality, load on the server.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Ok thanks, it's just such a pain that i can't get decent internet unless i pay like £150 a month for satelite broadband with a £1000 set up fee for equipment...

Don't get sat, unless you want insane pings.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Don't get sat' date=' unless you want insane pings.[/quote']

Ok thanks

Satallite actually seems to seem like a good for anything other than gaming, Downloads offered seem much more then my ADSL for example. If you use it for downloading lots I guess it could work better then any other solution, also uploads are much more so again good for uploading and normal web browsing. Reason I dont have it is price (£65 per month plus fitting!) and I play games so would have to keep DSL for that anyways haha