Losing Connection every couple of minutes

Elo Gaming

So this problem has started a while back but it happens a lot. I notice it the most when i play games because I get disconnected or lag out of the game. So every 5-10 minutes or so everything in the game freezes but i can still look around. The people in the game tho, are not moving. So i know it is some sort of network issue. Depending on the game, I will resume after of 30 seconds of lag or i will get disconnected from the server completely. Please help me i have no clue whats happening.

Are you gaming via wired or wireless? If wireless, then thats your problem. Likely some interference causing you poor connectivity to your wifi router. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Are you gaming via wired or wireless? If wireless, then thats your problem. Likely some interference causing you poor connectivity to your wifi router. 

Im directly wired and my pc is like 2 feet away from my router

1 hour ago, Elo Gaming said:

So this problem has started a while back but it happens a lot. I notice it the most when i play games because I get disconnected or lag out of the game. So every 5-10 minutes or so everything in the game freezes but i can still look around. The people in the game tho, are not moving. So i know it is some sort of network issue. Depending on the game, I will resume after of 30 seconds of lag or i will get disconnected from the server completely. Please help me i have no clue whats happening.

Who's your ISP?

What package / speed tier do you have?

Are you using a modem / router potato or do you have your own router?

What is the model number for your modem or router in use?

Are there some games that don't do this? If so, list which ones do and don't disconnect.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

In addition to the questions listed above, a couple of others.

Have you tried replacing the cable between your computer and modem/router?

What is your connection type? (Cable, DSL, Fibre to the home, LTE/4G, etc.)

Are you using a single unit (modem and router in one box) or do you have a separate modem and router (two boxes linked together)?

What game is it that is affected? Are there any other games that are affected as well?

Are you using the Killer Control Center software included with your motherboard?

What country/region are you in?

To assist in diagnosing issues, could you perform a traceroute using this guide: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169336-How-do-I-run-a-traceroute-

Could you please do this to the following addresses: 1.1.1.1 8.8.8.8 147.135.0.102

Please provide us with the results of this.

Could you then also go to this link: https://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest

Please perform the ping test using the large start button for approximately 1 minute and post a screenshot of the result.

This and the previous test will help us diagnose if the issue is within your network or not.

The last is just to do a standard speed test at https://www.speedtest.net and post the result for us.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:53 PM, kirashi said:

Who's your ISP?

What package / speed tier do you have?

Are you using a modem / router potato or do you have your own router?

What is the model number for your modem or router in use?

Are there some games that don't do this? If so, list which ones do and don't disconnect.

My ISP is pretty trashy :( its CenturyLink. I live in Florida and there arent many good ISPs around me. But anyways, Centurylink provides us with 25MB download speed and its supposed to be 2MB up but that isn't always true. I am using the Modem Router Combination that they provide (its in one box) the Modem/Router model number is Zyxel C3000Z. i am using a wired connection. Most games do this (Fortnite, Rainbow 6 Siege, Battlefield 1, etc.)

On 1/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, NEXUS2345 said:

Are you using a single unit (modem and router in one box) or do you have a separate modem and router (two boxes linked together)?

What game is it that is affected? Are there any other games that are affected as well?

Are you using the Killer Control Center software included with your motherboard?

To assist in diagnosing issues, could you perform a traceroute using this guide: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169336-How-do-I-run-a-traceroute-

Could you please do this to the following addresses: 1.1.1.1 8.8.8.8 147.135.0.102

Please perform the ping test using the large start button for approximately 1 minute and post a screenshot of the result.

This and the previous test will help us diagnose if the issue is within your network or not.

The last is just to do a standard speed test at https://www.speedtest.net and post the result for us.

I have already tried switching the cables. I had cat5 and then switched to cat5e and cat6 but nothing worked. The problem still persisted. I am pretty sure i have a DSL connection and yes it is a single unit. The games were listed above. Yes indeed I am using the Killer Control Center but i do not know if that affects my network performance. I live in Florida, United States. I wanted to provide this information while i go ahead and perform those tests you said to take.

ALSO I have been experiencing a seperate issue where I cannot hear game chat but i can hear other games sounds. For example, if people were talking in rainbow 6 siege the icon shows up but i cant hear them. I can still here shooting and stuff like that. This problem started about a week ago. A problem that might be related to this problem is that for a long time, I have been experiencing audio crashes, where I am playing a random game, and then suddenly all noises stop and I hear a long buzz for about 30 seconds and then it goes away. During the buzzing eve if i have youtube video on the side, it stops playing and shows that its loading. The audio afterwards for my games dont work till i restart and for youtube i have to reload the page or restart my web browser. All these issues really annoy me :(

On 1/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, NEXUS2345 said:

Pingtest.PNG

Speedtest.PNG

TraceRoute.txt

So looking at the results of the ping test, the +PDV value indicates the instability in your ping to the various locations it tests. This shows there is some significant instability in your internet connection, and because of the number of locations tested, we can be pretty sure this is down to your ISP. When looking at the 3 traceroutes you performed, you can see that hop 2 has a relatively steady ping and doesn't change much across the 3 tests or the 3 traceroutes. However, hops 3 and 4 have got a significantly higher fluctuation and go as high as 160ms on the final traceroute. This suggests to me that your ISP is suffering from congestion on their local network, and it may be worth contacting them.

I am also on DSL, although in the UK, so our DSL tech is slightly more advanced. I'm also using a separate modem and router, one being the Huawei HG612 (which was provided by our national infrastructure provider BT Openreach) and the other being a Ubiquiti EdgeMAX EdgeRouter X-SFP. In other words, my gear is quite high grade as well.

In terms of the ping test, here is mine as a comparison:

I did this over wi-fi as well for context.

Spoiler

pingtest.jpg.f32f5fe914a8903c9f8af1f1acaacadd.jpg

And here are my traceroutes:

Spoiler

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     3 ms     1 ms  10.0.0.1
  2    17 ms    13 ms    13 ms  vt1.cor2.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.22]
  3    27 ms    19 ms    19 ms  ae-13.cor2.manc1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.25]
  4    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  ixmanchester.as13335.net [195.66.244.71]
  5    20 ms    20 ms    18 ms  one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.0.0.1
  2    21 ms    13 ms    13 ms  vt1.cor2.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.22]
  3    17 ms    16 ms    22 ms  ae-8.agg1.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.14]
  4    14 ms    13 ms    18 ms  72.14.217.190
  5    15 ms    16 ms    14 ms  108.170.246.161
  6    14 ms    15 ms    14 ms  108.170.230.171
  7    18 ms    13 ms    16 ms  google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Tracing route to us.ovhcloud.com [147.135.0.102]

1     2 ms     1 ms     3 ms  10.0.0.1
  2    18 ms    20 ms    13 ms  vt1.cor2.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.22]
  3    14 ms    13 ms    13 ms  ae-7.cor2.lond2.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.13]
  4    18 ms    14 ms    14 ms  ae-21.agg3.lond2.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.40]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    81 ms    80 ms    81 ms  be100-1298.nwk-5-a9.nj.us [192.99.146.133]
  7    96 ms   166 ms    90 ms  be100-1323.bhs-g2-nc5.qc.ca [192.99.146.138]
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9    88 ms    87 ms    87 ms  be7.bhs-iplb2-a70.qc.ca [178.32.135.133]
 10    88 ms    87 ms    87 ms  us.ovhcloud.com [147.135.0.102]

In terms of your router, even though I don't think it is an issue, it is always good to upgrade it to something more recent if you've had it for a while. My current recommendation is Amplifi if you want something simple to use, or if you want more control, Synology's products are excellent and have a ton of functionality.