Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Low GPU usage & low fps! {PLEASE HELP}

Hi! I recently upgraded to a new graphics card, and I'm not exactly seeing the best performance.

Specs--

Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming mobo

Ryzen 5 1500X

2x8 GB of XPG Gammix D10 @ 2666 MHz

Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Ti

Thermaltake SmartSeries 600W 80+ White PSU

{Cougar Panzer case if anybody was wondering}

In games such as ETS2 multiplayer (max settings) I get around 40 FPS IN TOWNS! In League of Legends I only get around 130! Not to mention, War thunder only gets me around 100 on medium settings, and the worst part is, GPU UTILIZATION NEVER GOES ABOVE 50%!!! How can I fix this?????????

I've already disabled HPET (High Precision Event Timing), I've reinstalled my drivers with an Nvidia hotfix driver about 10 times, I've OC'd absolutely everything and nothing worked! I was wondering if it could maybe be my PCIe voltages?  GPU-Z's render test lists "PerfCap" or the reason my GPU is getting limited to be the UNRELIABILITY of VOLTAGES. What should I do???

GPUZ.gif

EDIT : I live in Europe, and my computer is hooked up to a tension converter that actively adapts its voltage so I don't fry my system. Could the tension converter I'm using be the reason it's detecting "Unreliability of voltage"? And if so, could I hook my computer up to the 220v wall socket and run it safely???????????

3 minutes ago, Aethereon said:

What should I do???

For starters, when troubleshooting frame rates, reset things back to their default. So step one, stop the overclocking. You can turn that back on once the issue is fixed.

Second, (and I may have missed it) what card did you upgrade *from*? The drivers might still be acting up...

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Running the games @ the default preset  still doesn't change anything. The PerfCap on GPU-Z is still the unreliability of voltages. GPU utilization still low and fps still hovering around 40 while in towns when playing ets2 multiplayer.

Stahp.

Voltage/Rel means that the GPU is at its max clocks, nothing more.

Make sure your memory is in the proper slots if you have a board with 4x memory slots.

Also, your CPU is a bit under powered for your GPU.

did you remove the OC like it was suggested?

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Okay I just noticed something. When I go into the menu of a game, I get 700 fps and 80-90% utilization, but in game it barely gets above 40% and hovers around 50 fps. Also I don't think the CPU could be the problem, it never passes 30% utilization either.

13 hours ago, Aethereon said:

Okay I just noticed something. When I go into the menu of a game, I get 700 fps and 80-90% utilization, but in game it barely gets above 40% and hovers around 50 fps. Also I don't think the CPU could be the problem, it never passes 30% utilization either.

Many games only use 1-2 cores, so max would be 25% or 50% (well, 12.5%-25% with 4c/8t).  And due to the way Windows handles multiple cores you will never see a single core maxed out.

Honestly, it sounds like you have some software problems.

I would also make sure your CPU is operating at its rated speed and isn't being throttled by some power management setting.

All power management settings are set to high performance.. What do you suggest I do?

Nope. The CPU stays at it's base clock of 3.5 GHz, without turboing up at all. And again, during the menus I get over 700 fps and the GPU seems to be doing it's job. When I get in the game it slows down dramatically.

Should I try bumping up the ram to 2900-ish MHz? What do you suggest I do, I've been trying to solve this issue for a week now, and haven't got a result.

Have you re-installed the OS?

Did you uninstall your old GPU drivers when you upgraded?

Have you updated your drivers?

Have you looked at task manager to see if any other programs are showing high CPU usage?

No, I haven't reinstalled the OS.

I used DDU to get rid of my old GPU drivers.

I'm running the latest driver (via Geforce Experience)

Nothing else seems to be eating up the CPU usage.

I should also mention that in all the GPU benchmarks I've run, everything seemed to be fine. GPU utilization always got up to 99-100%, the scores were similar to other 1070 Ti users, and everything was fine, but in games I guess it's just not using above 30%, and I get around 40-50 fps.

i have been having a similar problem, when i play OW on all low settings * tested on metro2033 did same* when in the menu to pick who you want to play i get a strong 300 fps and high gpu usage. but as soon as i start to get into a game my fps is up and down like a yoyo and then my core clock kicks off from 2038 down to as low as 1200 ish hz but will then jump to 1544-1800 ish hz but then the fps takes a dive down to sometimes as low as 80 fps and then will not go above 220 fps. but i get micro stutters in game. my gpu usage will drop down to like 35-45% and my cpu is about 60-70%. task manager tho says it like 80-87% sometimes jumps into 90%. 

i have all my settings to high Performance. my cpu is oced to 4.8 *i7 4790k @ 1.345v and its stable. gpu is a 1080ti. 

i put my mates gpu in my system which is a 1060 6gb and it run great! never once dropped the gpu core clock and was a very steady 300 fps and dropped most to like 230, but the cpu was about 60-70% again. when i put my gpu in my mates pc which is a i3 8100 the same again it never dropped core clock. and it ran at 70% gpu and bottlednecked the cpu at 90-95%. and once again fps didnt drop below 230 

i have reinstalled the bios and reinstalled windows * clean* and still get the same problem. even tried when there hasnt been any oc on anything. when i game with no oc my cpu sits at 4200 but doesnt hit 4400. even when i load my pc up i feel a lag on the system. 

5 hours ago, BerserkHealer said:

i have been having a similar problem, when i play OW on all low settings * tested on metro2033 did same* when in the menu to pick who you want to play i get a strong 300 fps and high gpu usage. but as soon as i start to get into a game my fps is up and down like a yoyo and then my core clock kicks off from 2038 down to as low as 1200 ish hz but will then jump to 1544-1800 ish hz but then the fps takes a dive down to sometimes as low as 80 fps and then will not go above 220 fps. but i get micro stutters in game. my gpu usage will drop down to like 35-45% and my cpu is about 60-70%. task manager tho says it like 80-87% sometimes jumps into 90%. 

i have all my settings to high Performance. my cpu is oced to 4.8 *i7 4790k @ 1.345v and its stable. gpu is a 1080ti. 

i put my mates gpu in my system which is a 1060 6gb and it run great! never once dropped the gpu core clock and was a very steady 300 fps and dropped most to like 230, but the cpu was about 60-70% again. when i put my gpu in my mates pc which is a i3 8100 the same again it never dropped core clock. and it ran at 70% gpu and bottlednecked the cpu at 90-95%. and once again fps didnt drop below 230 

i have reinstalled the bios and reinstalled windows * clean* and still get the same problem. even tried when there hasnt been any oc on anything. when i game with no oc my cpu sits at 4200 but doesnt hit 4400. even when i load my pc up i feel a lag on the system. 

I get an average of about 160-ish fps in Overwatch, which is basically accurate. I see normal utilization (60-80%) on the GPU, and around 60% on the CPU, so it might be an issue limited to the games I listed in the original post. Max framerates are around 230 at the start of the game, and they bottom out at around 110. So like @KarathKasun said, it might not be the hardware's fault. It might be an issue related to the game or to the OS. That, or maybe your RAM. Chec  if it's in the designated slots.