Help

Kingdomkey

I have my Nas connected to my router but I want it to be directly connected to my main pc but still connected to the router I have a switch but it’s just the IP address I really need help on 

Why can't you just run the NAS through your router?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Whats your network diagram. A switch won't affect how you use a IP.

Just leave the nas connected to your router or switch, no reason to plug it directly to your pc.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats your network diagram. A switch won't affect how you use a IP.

Just leave the nas connected to your router or switch, no reason to plug it directly to your pc.

3 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Why can't you just run the NAS through your router?

It’s really just the speed I’m getting if it’s directly connected to my pc i get full gigabit speed but when it’s plug into my router I get 11MB/s 

Just now, Kingdomkey said:

It’s really just the speed I’m getting if it’s directly connected to my pc i get full gigabit speed but when it’s plug into my router I get 11MB/s 

Is your router 100 megabit/second and not gigabit?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Just now, Kingdomkey said:

Then you have a 100mbit link somewhere, Id fix that and that should be cheap too.

2 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Is your router 100 megabit/second and not gigabit?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then you have a 100mbit link somewhere, Id fix that and that should be cheap too.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Is your pc hard wired into the router?

1: it’s is 100Mb/s

2:how

3:Yes and that’s how I’m currently set but sometimes I just plug my nas into my pc via Ethernet 

1 minute ago, Kingdomkey said:

3:Yes and that’s how I’m currently set but sometimes I just plug my nas into my pc via Ethernet 

Tell us what switch and router you have, for starters. Are both the router and switch 100 megabit or just the router?

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

1 minute ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Tell us what switch and router you have, for starters. Are both the router and switch 100 megabit or just the router?

The router is a old netgear and the switch is a gigabit speed 

6 minutes ago, Kingdomkey said:

You can use a switch to speed this up.

But if you have a 100mbit only router, you probably want to replace that soon.

Connect both the nas, router, and your pc to the switch. Problem solved plain and simple. The NAS and PC will communicate  through the switch at gigabit speeds and the pc will connect to the router to send outside traffic.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

Ok so all I did was that I plugged my nas into my switch into the port where internet would go but since I can’t get internet where I live I used that port then I plugged my pc and the router into the switch and with the current up addresses I had before having this idea worked 

14 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Connect both the nas, router, and your pc to the switch. Problem solved plain and simple. The NAS and PC will communicate  through the switch at gigabit speeds and the pc will connect to the router to send outside traffic.

52 minutes ago, Kingdomkey said:

Ok so all I did was that I plugged my nas into my switch into the port where internet would go but since I can’t get internet where I live I used that port then I plugged my pc and the router into the switch and with the current up addresses I had before having this idea worked 

Just make sure you have the switch plugged into a LAN port on the router, not the WAN port. It does't matter what ports you use on the switch though.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

10 hours ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Just make sure you have the switch plugged into a LAN port on the router, not the WAN port. It does't matter what ports you use on the switch though.

Actually I plugged my nas into my switch in the first port and then the router and then my pc and it’s working fine I can even access my router from my pc somehow