Type of Cooling for PC

TheCrafterMaster

A preface: I have never built a PC. Also, this is a hypothetical. I am still at the drawing board in terms of the components, I might be using Ryzen's 3000 series instead of their 2000 series CPUs when it comes out - just keep that in mind I guess. My budget is around $2,000. 

I'm building a gaming pc and I don't know how water cooling works nor do I want to know how it works. I don't really need to, either, I don't think - I don't think my PC will need that much cooling for what I am using it for. Maybe.

Anywho, currently, my CPU is a Ryzen 2600x. Will the stock cooler that comes with the CPU be enough to keep the CPU cool? I'm building the PC to play AAA games like Destiny 2, Witcher, Fallout, etc. If I absolutely had to get a third party cooler I'd get the NZXT Kraken but I'd really rather not even bother with third-party coolers if I don't have to - they look so complicated to install. Conversely, the Wraith coolers that come with the Ryzen CPUs look like they are very easy to install. Thanks in advance. 

The wraith stock cooler that is packaged with the cpu should be fine as long as your not overclocking! I ran the stock cooler for the ryzen 1700 for a couple of months with no issue while waiting for cooler manufacturers to make am4 mounting hardware.

I got it all blocked up...What I've said I've always ditched air and Enthusiast and just did that...it's not hard a pump/rez and 1/2" pieces of hoses pvc. 

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

You'll be fine with the stock cooler. Just get some nice thermal paste for it and, it will be good enough.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

no it's not the damn spire will send that to 95c at 4.32....noobs lol....we are frozen my setup lol

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

I ran it for 2 months and at no point did my cpu ever go above 75c! As long as there is decent airflow in the case and your not overclocking, the stock cooler should be fine for gaming as most games wont leverage anything above 50% of the cpu anyways!

I'm talking like under cb a real load etc...that thing will go to 90-95c on it lol.  It don't go over 75-80c now. and I can't clock any higher than that.

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Just now, JRzoid said:

I'm talking like under cb a real load etc...that thing will go to 90-95c on it lol.  It don't go over 75-80c now. and I can't clock any higher than that.

I really don't have any interest in overclocking the computer. Standard use only lol: I'm just trying to play Destiny and Skyrim at 80-100 fps. 

3 minutes ago, alright_MEATBAGS said:

I ran it for 2 months and at no point did my cpu ever go above 75c! As long as there is decent airflow in the case and your not overclocking, the stock cooler should be fine for gaming as most games wont leverage anything above 50% of the cpu anyways!

7 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

You'll be fine with the stock cooler. Just get some nice thermal paste for it and, it will be good enough.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks!!

I would completely agree with that, if your going to be putting a serious load on the cpu for a long period of time or overclocking at all then yes an aftermarket cooler will be needed! Unless you like the sound of small fans spinning very fast!

If you are planning to overclock, avoid the stock cooler, while buying a nzxt kraken DO NOT BUY the x62, instead buy the x52 or x72. I'm saying this because many x62 have a problem where their pump stops working. Installing a kraken is very very easy to install. Basically the radiator and pump block come attach. All you have to do is fix the fans with a screwdriwer and connect the fans to a fan splitter which goes to the fan header on the mobo(you can even connect all 3 fans independly to mobo) After this mount the block and connect it to usb 2.0 header, aio header etc

Well you'll be fine there...but yeah it gets a little warmer clocked at 4.32.

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

The Wraith is a great stock cooler as far as stock coolers go. You'll be fine if you are just gaming with it.

What case are you planning to get? Something with nice airflow will make your life a lot easier. (And your CPU cooler :P)

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

The Wraith is a great stock cooler as far as stock coolers go. You'll be fine if you are just gaming with it.

What case are you planning to get? Something with nice airflow will make your life a lot easier. (And your CPU cooler :P)

I'm debating between the NZXT 500 or the 400. 

1 minute ago, TheCrafterMaster said:

I'm debating between the NZXT 500 or the 400

Out of those two, I'd go with the 400 because that has better airflow. The 500 only has an intake on the right for the front fans and your options are very limited on the top as well.

Just make sure you don't get the 400i. It's the same as the 400 except, it has a "smart" device in it that add a lot extra to the cost and all it does is sets a fan curve for you.

I realize you've said you're not interested in knowing how watercooling works, but I figure a little insight can't hurt, and I've not seen it addressed yet)

Watercooling is primarily for overclocking headroom, that much you know. It's (generally) more efficient than air cooling, but that gap has closed a little as time passes and air coolers continue to improve, there's some great air coolers on the market. Law of diminishing returns applies, particularly when you start looking at a custom loop however, costs go up exponential to increase in performance potential.

Watercooling also has the benefit of being (theoretically) quieter, and that's where my primary use-case comes in. dB for dB, my loop has more heat exchange potential as compared to a traditional stock or aftermarket air cooler. I started out on a full tower that had a fan smashed into every crevice you could imagine, all pinned at 100% RPM, the thing sounded like a (very small) jet engine. Over the years, my priorities (and tastes) have evolved. I now prefer a quiet system in a mid tower with much less "gamer" flair. My PC now wouldn't be out of place sitting in my living room, My system from 10 years ago would be a colossal eyesore (and earsore :P).

If neither of these are an issue for you liquid cooling of any kind isn't for you, you just don't need it to achieve what you're looking for. As stated, the Wraith cooler is excellent for a stock cooler, and aftermarket air coolers can be had relatively inexpensive if you prefer higher performance and/or less noise.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The Cooler Master Master Air or the Nicer one Master Air Maker....something that will out perform the Spire...if you don't want mess with Water...

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

10 hours ago, Semper said:

I realize you've said you're not interested in knowing how watercooling works, but I figure a little insight can't hurt, and I've not seen it addressed yet)

Watercooling is primarily for overclocking headroom, that much you know. It's (generally) more efficient than air cooling, but that gap has closed a little as time passes and air coolers continue to improve, there's some great air coolers on the market. Law of diminishing returns applies, particularly when you start looking at a custom loop however, costs go up exponential to increase in performance potential.

Watercooling also has the benefit of being (theoretically) quieter, and that's where my primary use-case comes in. dB for dB, my loop has more heat exchange potential as compared to a traditional stock or aftermarket air cooler. I started out on a full tower that had a fan smashed into every crevice you could imagine, all pinned at 100% RPM, the thing sounded like a (very small) jet engine. Over the years, my priorities (and tastes) have evolved. I now prefer a quiet system in a mid tower with much less "gamer" flair. My PC now wouldn't be out of place sitting in my living room, My system from 10 years ago would be a colossal eyesore (and earsore :P).

If neither of these are an issue for you liquid cooling of any kind isn't for you, you just don't need it to achieve what you're looking for. As stated, the Wraith cooler is excellent for a stock cooler, and aftermarket air coolers can be had relatively inexpensive if you prefer higher performance and/or less noise.

I'm a college student so the size and noise aren't really a huge factor for me. I rarely have time to play games but when I do it's only for a few hours and I don't want any hitches. The point being I will primarily use it for games. I already have a laptop that is meant for productivity/school work etc. In support of your point, I guess I won't be needing a liquid/water cooled system. Thanks for your input!

On 1/3/2019 at 2:59 AM, TheCrafterMaster said:

A preface: I have never built a PC. Also, this is a hypothetical. I am still at the drawing board in terms of the components, I might be using Ryzen's 3000 series instead of their 2000 series CPUs when it comes out - just keep that in mind I guess. My budget is around $2,000. 

I'm building a gaming pc and I don't know how water cooling works nor do I want to know how it works. I don't really need to, either, I don't think - I don't think my PC will need that much cooling for what I am using it for. Maybe.

Anywho, currently, my CPU is a Ryzen 2600x. Will the stock cooler that comes with the CPU be enough to keep the CPU cool? I'm building the PC to play AAA games like Destiny 2, Witcher, Fallout, etc. If I absolutely had to get a third party cooler I'd get the NZXT Kraken but I'd really rather not even bother with third-party coolers if I don't have to - they look so complicated to install. Conversely, the Wraith coolers that come with the Ryzen CPUs look like they are very easy to install. Thanks in advance. 

Get the $35 Cooler i have on my 2600X its the Cooler Master Evo 212 Black https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-212S-20PK-R1-Contact-Silencio/dp/B07H25DYM3, mine runs the highest 72C on a really heavy load at 100% 4.3Ghz on all cores.  its a really good underrated cooler, but a little of a bitch to install unless you have a 10 inch long screwdriver then it will be very easy.

Get that you will be very happy.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384